Feeds

back to article Virgin offers cut-price data roaming in Europe

Virgin Media today launched new packages to allow its mobile customers send and receive data in Europe rather more cheaply than they have been able to so far. According to Virgin's roaming rates, its punters are currently billed £5 for every megabyte of data they send and receive while abroad. That rate applies to both pay-as- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

£1 a MB is still a HUGE ripoff!!!

Anything over 5p a MB is a total con, how much does it cost to move 1 MB of data over mobile networks these days? I would guess it would be a fraction of 1p even from here to the US or Australia, the later assuming it gets through their net censorship BS!

Silver badge
FAIL

Better...

...but still shit. £1 per MB? Phht. In England you can have 1GB of data over a 30 day period for as little as a fiver. Is continental data really that much of a delicacy that it costs 200 times as much?

Gold badge
Thumb Down

Data in Spain

I have Voda Pay & go in Spain - not allowed a contract until I've been resident here for a year :(

Each GB of data times out in 1/2 hour, so my phone left on with a connection open went through 20€ of credit in two days. The phone told me that it had done a little over 170kB. Needless to say I switched data off quickly!

My wife has a Voda contract in Spain, but uses UK Pay & Go on O2 to read her email, because the roaming tariff is cheaper than the Voda one in Spain.

Oh, and Satellite broadband is also cheaper per month here than fixed with Telefonica (although the set-up costs for dish & modem are 400€ higher!)

I want Vivianne Reading to give flat-rate telecoms & data across the whole of the EU

Silver badge
Grenade

Think yourselfs lucky.

I live in France and work in Switzerland, for this I have to travel no more than 5 kms to get to work. The connections continually flick between Swiss and French connections.

The French and the Swiss have antennaes on the same bloody mountain and you can capture either within a radius of several kms. Living on the border becomes a nightmare because of this.

Its not unusual for me to be at home ( France) but my telephone remains connected to a Swiss operator. ( Therefore roaming telephone and data charges). I have no other choice but to switch off the Internet Connection.

Silver badge

How generous of them

How do they keep their prices so low and still make a profit?

It would be cheaper to buy a prepay package AND the 3G phone/dongle in every country you visited than pay those stupid rates.

Time?

Why have they added time to the equation?

Would it not be so much simpler to have the same price increment and £1=1MB but all lasting for 30 days, instead you end up with the situation that:

£10=10MB/day

£15=5MB/day

£30=4.3MB/day

£60=2MB/day

So the longer the pass you buy, the less you can use per day.

khaptain:

Most phones have a setting to manually select a network and then lock to that network, why don't you just do that?

not as good as ...

I suppose they had to do something, after their unpublished blunder last year

Unhappy

Too risky taking a 3G dongle abroad

Unfortunately, it is very hard to restrict your laptop to only 60MB these days becasuse of all the automatic updates for windows, office, java, adobe etc.

If you are unlucky enough to be abroad, log in to collect your emails for 20 minutes or so, and you happen to coincide with a windows updates - I would hate to see your bill!

The charges for data roaming are just a rip-off. I can get a mobile dongle in the UK that gives me 3GB of data for a modest per month fee. If I end up on the continent - the equivalent amount of roaming data is going to bankrupt me.

Ridiculous. Its about time the EEC launched some useful regulation on data roaming charges.

This topic is closed for new posts.