back to article OFT requests T-Orange investigation

The Office of Fair Trading has requested control of the investigation into the merger of T-Mobile and Orange, making a quick decision unlikely and delighting the competition. The request (pdf) asks that the European Commission hand over the UK parts of the investigation to the UK authorities. It has requested this on the basis …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andus McCoatover

In my day, it was called 'Churn'

...showing the numbers of customers they steal from each other...

(I thought it was also called 'customer choice').

T-Orange? Why not "Terry's Chocolate Orange", 'cos nowadays it's got nowt to do with Britain, either. Krafty bastards.

OK, TCO. Totalled Cost of Ownership. That'll do it.

1. dogged
      WTF?

a nationwide 4G network?

Neither T-Mobile nor Orange has ever managed a nationwide 2G network, let alone 4G. Massive areas of my home county (Wiltshire) see no signal at all and as soon as you go further South or West, you can forget T-Orange entirely. Voda and O2 are the only reliable carriers down here.

1. Mark Boothroyd

Indeed

Been with Orange, currently with T-Mobile, nether have ever had good 3G where I live, and I'm in a 50k+ population Town and near the centre of it!

2. Rob
        FAIL

I'm further south...

... and my 3G signal from T-Mobile is fine where I live.

2. Gregg Stuart

Or as it's known in the North

T'Orange

3. Mike White

T-Orange?

Personally I prefer O-Mobile which then makes any future merger with O2 nice & easy :-)

1. It'sa Mea... Mario
      Thumb Down

RE: future merger with O2..

Please god no!

I do not have any problems with Orange at present but would dread a merger with O2!!

4. Harry
    Happy

How about Orange Tea ?

I'll drink to that.

5. Chad H.
    WTF?

Erm... Death of 3?

From the guardian:

The main concern was about the merger's effect on the future of 3, which has driven price competition in recent years. However, over the weekend, 3, which is owned by the Hong Kong conglomerate Hutchison Whampoa, signed a new deal with T-Mobile and Orange, which will give it access to 3,000 more mast sites across the UK over the next few years, bringing the total to 16,000, the largest 3G network in the country.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/?id=102202&story=http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/feb/21/orange-t-mobile-merger

I don't think 3 have anything to worry about.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I agree

Looks like someone in the OFT is trying to justify their jobs

I was in Wales at the weekend and going over the Brecon Beacons and on my O2 and Orange phones no Signal...My brother on 3 full bloody 3G was well handy for watching the footie results

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

better coverage

If it means I can get better coverage then I'm all for it! T-mobile is shocking at the moment even in major towns...

7. Simon Lee

the name

I call it Tango myself. Mark my words lads

8. Richie 1

How about ...

T'Orange as a name for the combined entity. It has a much nicer colloquial ring to it.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New name

As someone familiar with the merger, I can report that the internal name for the new entity is ...

...VentureCo.

I suspect they might change this before the launch though.

10. andy 49

T and Orange back to front

I call it Pekoe

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like