back to article HP Pavilion Elite HPE-180

The Pavilion Elite HPE-180 stands at the pinnacle of the HP's home PC line-up and sports spec to match. It has a 2.80GHz Intel Core i7-860 processor, 8GB of DDR 3 memory, a Blu-ray combo drive and, to make use of all that memory, 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium. HP Pavilion Elite HPE-180 HP's Pavilion Elite HPE-180: merlot trim? …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Wow.

I actually don't understand how they've taken all those parts and managed to make them perform so poorly. Your test system (practically identical to a system I own, just a different make of SSD) is much cheaper to build and outperforms it in every area.

Maybe they used cheapest mobo. and RAM that money can buy?

Thumb Down

performance is bad because

HP et al, take standard components and fiddle around with them so as a consumer you have to go back to them for future support/upgrades

its like Packard Bell tattooing hard drive bios'

and moving a row of pins for the usb connector in a standard gigabyte board so that you can't just replace broken usb ports without rewiring the connector.

I recently repaired an HP machine which had stability issues from day 1, the single drive system had a default bios configuration for RAID.

nuff said :)

FAIL

Is there a worse grade than "Fail"?

Does this Pavilion Elite share the same Truckee motherboard (Made by Pegatron) as the Pavilion Elite running the I7-920 chip? If so, prepare for frequent and never-ending BSOD's and HP's legendary (not in a good way) customer service. Don't believe me? Google it yourself - Pavilion Elite + Blue screens of death. You're got a LOT of reading ahead of you.

I wouldn't touch the HP Elite series with a 39 1/2 foot pole until they start using Intel mobos in their Elite series. You have been warned.

Motherboard

The motherboard is an MSI - quite possibly the dullest MSI that your reviewer has ever seen

Elite?

Elite? No tlikely.

If it's anything like my Pavilion Elite m9505f :

- The BIOS is a cut down piece of s***.

- Does NOT support fan control from the motherboard.

- Ships with inadequately cooled, buggy video card.

Mine was one of the "notorious" MSI Geforce 9500 GS (which MSI don't even list on their web-site ... Probably 'cause they're embarassed by it's crap performance and the fact that 99% of the "Mk. 1" cards had to be replaced because of defective fans. The replacement runs WAY too fracking hot.

I will be trying to rebuild my elite into a better tower, but the comment earlier about "customized" connectors doesn't make it sound like a fun rebuild.

Cheers,

CC ("")(>o.o<)("") "O Hai Dere!"

I don't know

I don't know why you guys are so negative, if swap out the MOBO and RAM, and then replace the HD, PSU and case you end up with a pretty decent machine.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums