One thing that has allways bothered me....
There are allways stories about robots, and how they will pertain to being used as sexual objects (come on, don't kid yourself) or military capabiities, however you rarely see much on their other uses.
In Japan, they have started using robot teachers in their schools ( http://tinyurl.com/arjugc ).
In Japan this may be a viable option due to the way that the general population sees robots in general ( think where most robot anime has come from) , however in other societies, such as the UK or the US, there is psychological affect called "frankenstein complex" (coined by Isaac Asimov) or "uncanny valley hypothesis" ( Masahiro Mori ) in which most populations will not accept robots that appear "humaniform" in nature, due to the fact that your average person will be afraid of such machines rising up against human kind in the future, or that one day such bots will not be able to distinguished from humans.
You also have a large part of the population who are afraid of "robots" taking jobs away from humans, therefore making it harder to find jobs.
Things that should be considered:
1. For practical use, at least arms/hands must be similar to humans to allow use of our tools, as otherwise you would need to retool your factories.
2. A lot of robots are used in areas that would be considered dangerous for humans. I am sure that if a robot is used to destroy a bomb, and it itself is destroyed, this is much better then a father, brother, sister, mother or child being destroyed.
3. Wide stream use of robots eventually could result in a utopian society where humans do not need to do any work they do not want to do, and everything can be provided. The one thing that could prevent this is our obsession with accumulation of material wealth.
4. If you are worried about jobs, someone to fix the robots or invent new ones will allways be needed. In most fields they call this job training. There is actually a well known story of a factory worker who was replaced by a non humaniform robot, initially was despondent about losing his job, got further training and not long after found himself servicing the robot, at a higher pay then his original job.
5. There will allways be areas that robots will not be able to function.
There are many non sexual or non ROTM ways that robotics in the future can help and improve our lives, however sex and ROTM are the ways that most people view these things.
Of course, as they say, sex sells and the military is allways willing to buy.
At this time, if we want to admit it or not, we are on the verge of creating our eventual replacements, as manking will eventually evolve or kill itself out.
I welcome our new robotic replacements.