back to article Microsoft drops open-source birthday gift with FAST

As birthdays go, it's not a bad present. Microsoft's decision to sacrifice FAST's Enterprise Search Platform (ESP) development on Linux and Unix for Windows potentially gives open-source search providers like Lucid Imagination a free pass. In announcing the news Monday, FAST chief technology officer Bjørn Olstad was clearly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

Oh Dear - Poor MS

I guess this is why they went out there way to make OOXML, and then ignore it.

Presumably - if you dont know what format your documents are, then you cant search them properly - unless you pay MS for the privilege.

So if you want to search your own documents - make sure you dont upgrade to the next version of office. You save on almost every count. MS looses.

Or leave mechanised 19C filing cabinets, move to late middle 20C computing possibilities and drop office software altogether.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Er

What has this got to do with FAST exactly? Sounds like you are talking about something of which you have no knowledge.

My experience of pre-MS FAST wasn't a pleasant one. The product seemed to function well but was a black art to get working, so hopefully this will improve with better MS involvement. Plenty of other well written non-MS alternatives if you are using other technologies.

2. Mage Silver badge

Sharepoint

Seems worse than Exchange (Windows For Workgroups Mail with POP and SMTP as afterthoughts)

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Down

SQL Server anyone?

The #3 horse in the Unix database market .

Bought up and rendered down at the Redmond knackers yard. serverd up as Microsoft SQL Server for Windows.

Was it up to V7 before it could do record level locking? That's quite an important ability for people who run large databases (especially if some of those files have small records, when a cluster lock blocks reading a *large* number of them).

Navision was also more cross platform and had a wide user base in Euope (good internationalsiation faciliites as IIRC it was Danish). Wonder if any of that's left.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Re: SQL Server anyone?

Way to go criticising a 14 year-old version of a database engine (6.5) that's had four versions out since, with a fifth out in a couple of months...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Hear, hear

I'm no M$ fanboy but IIRC SQL Server 6.5 was basically a Sybase fork and was therefore sh*te.

SQL Server 7 was a first proper rewrite by some clever clogs at M$ and it was like a breath of fresh air.

It's about the only decent software to come out of Microsoft that was any good in my humble opinion.

4. Frumious Bandersnatch

acronym soup

It's all Greek to me (though some would say Latin ... when in Rome and all that mixing of metaphors)

In other words... wtf is this article about, anyway (and no, I didn't click any links... rule 1 of acronyms: first time you mention it, you say what it bloody stands for!)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like