Dell is planning a line of stripped down CloudEdge servers - standardised versions of its custom hyperscale data centre servers - for applications that work round fail-in-place hardware. As reported the new servers will be pared down for lower operational and acquisition costs by foregoing things like redundant power supplies …
These would be great for those of us with servers at home - low power use and cheap enough to buy a few. I could think of a number of applications already.
doubt it, I would suspect these systems would be sold at a minimum on a per-rack basis with specialized power & cooling to maximize efficiency.
So unless you want to wire in your own power supply and possibly fans this isn't for home use.
For home use there's already a lot of suitable cheap systems out there.
- Facebook offshores HUGE WAD OF CASH to Caymans - via Ireland
- Mexican Cobalt-60 robbers are DEAD MEN, say authorities
- Apple's spamtastic iBeacon retail alerts launch with Frisco FAIL
- Submerged Navy submarine successfully launches drone from missile tubes
- Pix Astroboffins spot HOT, YOUNG GIANT where she doesn't belong