Dell is planning a line of stripped down CloudEdge servers - standardised versions of its custom hyperscale data centre servers - for applications that work round fail-in-place hardware. As reported the new servers will be pared down for lower operational and acquisition costs by foregoing things like redundant power supplies …
These would be great for those of us with servers at home - low power use and cheap enough to buy a few. I could think of a number of applications already.
doubt it, I would suspect these systems would be sold at a minimum on a per-rack basis with specialized power & cooling to maximize efficiency.
So unless you want to wire in your own power supply and possibly fans this isn't for home use.
For home use there's already a lot of suitable cheap systems out there.
- Crawling from the Wreckage Want a more fuel efficient car? Then redesign it – here's how
- Review Xperia Z3: Crikey, Sony – ANOTHER flagship phondleslab?
- Human spaceships dodge ALIEN BODY skimming Mars
- Ex-US Navy fighter pilot MIT prof: Drones beat humans - I should know
- Downrange Are you a gun owner? Let us in OR ELSE, say Blighty's top cops