Dell is planning a line of stripped down CloudEdge servers - standardised versions of its custom hyperscale data centre servers - for applications that work round fail-in-place hardware. As reported the new servers will be pared down for lower operational and acquisition costs by foregoing things like redundant power supplies …
These would be great for those of us with servers at home - low power use and cheap enough to buy a few. I could think of a number of applications already.
doubt it, I would suspect these systems would be sold at a minimum on a per-rack basis with specialized power & cooling to maximize efficiency.
So unless you want to wire in your own power supply and possibly fans this isn't for home use.
For home use there's already a lot of suitable cheap systems out there.
- +Comment 'Private Facebook' Ello: There's a REASON we're still in beta. SPAMGASM!
- NASA rover Curiosity drills HOLE in MARS 'GOLF COURSE'
- WHY did Sunday Mirror stoop to slurping selfies for smut sting?
- Business is back, baby! Hasta la VISTA, Win 8... Oh, yeah, Windows 9
- Shellshock: 'Larger scale attack' on its way, warn securo-bods