Dell is planning a line of stripped down CloudEdge servers - standardised versions of its custom hyperscale data centre servers - for applications that work round fail-in-place hardware. As reported the new servers will be pared down for lower operational and acquisition costs by foregoing things like redundant power supplies …
These would be great for those of us with servers at home - low power use and cheap enough to buy a few. I could think of a number of applications already.
doubt it, I would suspect these systems would be sold at a minimum on a per-rack basis with specialized power & cooling to maximize efficiency.
So unless you want to wire in your own power supply and possibly fans this isn't for home use.
For home use there's already a lot of suitable cheap systems out there.
- +Comment Trips to Mars may be OFF: The SUN has changed in a way we've NEVER SEEN
- OnePlus One cut-price Android phone on sale to all... for 1 HOUR
- MARS NEEDS WOMEN, claims NASA pseudo 'naut: They eat less
- Back to the ... drawing board: 'Hoverboard' will disappoint Marty McFly wannabes
- Vid Google opens new Inbox – email for people too dumb to use email