Feeds

back to article Ingres' VectorWise rises to answer Microsoft

Ingres is inviting data munchers to take a bite out of its planned software architecture targeting high-performance analytics. The open-source database company has released alpha code for its VectorWise project, a high-performance storage engine computing-intensive data warehouses running on standard Intel boxes. A first beta of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Troll

say.... what?

> ...faster than rival computational, client products that run on a single, multi-core machine.

what?

> VectorWise achieves this by allowing standard SQL applications to access the compute power on multi-core chips while serving up huge blocks of data, Ingres said

err... what?

> In some cases, people are writing hand-coded programs against flat files.

eh?

> Instead of managing data buffers in random access memory, VectorWise uses the cache on the underlying chip, while all instructions are loaded from cache onto a multi-core chip

??

> VectorWise also transfers a large amount of data to get around the fact that while processors are speeding up, discs can only go so fast: VectorWise will read up to 500kilobytes of data compared to the usual rate of between four and eight kilobytes

bloody what?

I've had a good giggle, now for some clarification please. Regfail logo seemed right at first but I think this is a windup so here's one better

Well to start with...

...Microsoft SQL Server's read-ahead starts off with 64KB blocks and can go up to 256KB and even 1024KB for the enterprise edition. So what's the big deal with 500KB?

WTF?

Baffling article about an astonishing bit of software

I am currently working with VectorWise so I can make out a foggy outline of something like VectorWise in this article, but I don't blame BlueGreen for thinking it's a wind-up. I'm under NDA and I don't know how much I can write about VectorWise here, but if anyone wants to know about the nuts-and-bolts of how it processes data at video speeds, Google for X100 or MonetDB.

This topic is closed for new posts.