Former server and systems software maker Sun Microsystems, now part of the Oracle collective, quietly announced a new release of the Logical Domain virtual machine hypervisor for the Sparc T line of processors several days ahead of the closing of the $7.4bn deal. As El Reg already explained in its in-depth coverage of the …
Wow LDoms finally have some dynamic capability
Sun technology is still focused on partitioning vs. real virtualization.
Will LDoms ever work on the the Fujitsu SPARC64 kit, or is it just for the four socket and below boxes?
I got confused with this being referred to in conjunction with Oracle VM for x86. Any correlation other than the naming?
@Allison Park - technology focus
Allison Park posts, "Sun technology is still focused on partitioning vs. real virtualization."
No, Sun technology is focused is not as pigeonholed as alternative vendor offerings, but rather offers a complete spectrum of services (i.e. partitioning and virtualization are addressed, not only one or the other.)
Allison Park posts, "Will LDoms ever work on the the Fujitsu SPARC64 kit"
I am not sure anyone really cares. There are three non-competing and non-overlapping technologies with roughly the same capability which occupy roughly the same space but under different CPU architectures:
- Dynamic System Domains are available under UltraSPARC and SPARC64
- LDoms is available under OpenSPARC/CoolThreads
- xVM Hypervisor is available under Intel/AMD x64
Allison Park posts, "I got confused with this being referred to in conjunction with..."
I am no fan of branding changes. This has been one of the major faults of Sun Microsystems, which led to their demise. Great technology, terrible marketing. Branding should be seamless.
Allison Park posts, "Any correlation other than the naming?"
Clearly, Oracle is expanding the focus of their virtualization brand to consolidate the enhanced capabilities which was consumed through the Sun acquisition. I hope, for Oracle's sake, that this is the last branding change that will be done.
- Product Round-up Smartwatch face off: Pebble, MetaWatch and new hi-tech timepieces
- FLABBER-JASTED: It's 'jif', NOT '.gif', says man who should know
- If you've bought DRM'd film files from Acetrax, here's the bad news
- Analysis Spam and the Byzantine Empire: How Bitcoin tech REALLY works
- VIDEO Herschel Space Observatory spots galaxies merging