Feeds

back to article Steve Jobs uncloaks the 'iPad'

Steve Jobs has announced Apple's long-awaited tablet - now officially named the iPad, as The Reg had predicted - at a media circus Wednesday morning in the 757-seat Novellus Theater at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. The Reg will offer its considered analysis of what Jobs called "a truly magical and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Boffin

iHostage

One would assume iPad users will be held hostage to the same software monopoly restrictions as iPhone users.

Thumb Up

The world's only revolving because of Steve though...

...let us all bow down before the master and empty our wallets so we too can play with the latest god-like bit of consumer electronics. It will undoubtedly change your life, and make you a better person. Well, better than all the lesser people. i.e. The losers.

Winners Heart Apple.

£399 in the UK?

So, no UK pricing has been announced, but I bet it's £399. So before everyone jumps in and says what a ripoff, think for a moment how do Apple calculate the price?

Exchange rates fluctuate, but once they've set a price for a model in a market they don't tend to change it. So, what's the lowest the pound might expect to fall against the dollar over the next 12 months, 1.50 maybe? $499/1.5 = £333, add 17.5% VAT, that's £391, then round it up or down to the nearest round number... £399. If the rate drops lower than that they make a loss, if it stays at 1.60 or above they're up on the deal. Not a bad price in all though.

Exactly Rolf

But you even forgot 1 thing: duties which are applicable on invoice price and shipping, then VAT is added to the cost incorporating the duties! In a funny way, it is cheaper in Europe...

No duty

I could be wrong but I don't think there is any import duty on computers and telecoms equipment at the moment

Stop

£399 not a bad price?

...Really?

A Dell Inspiron 11z costs £299 and runs a full-blown OS.

Ok so it doesn't have a touch screen but that's not £100 worth I'm sure.

FAIL

Yeah..

..but who would buy a fucking Dell?

Missing the point

If I wanted a full-blown OS I'd buy a full-blown computer. I've already got one of those (or rather, I've probably got 6 or 7, I lose count: big ones, small ones, Macs, PCs, etc.).

The iPad is something completely different. It's a consumer gadget that's supposed to be fun to use. Using and administering a tiny Windows PC wouldn't be fun, it would be work (which I'm happy to do, as long as you pay me of course).

Jobs Horns

Clever case

Too bad it's certain to be DRM locked what with a custom "Apple A4" SOC and all.

Jobs Halo

UK price ?

I wonder if it'll be a straightforward £=$ ratio ? Looks gorgeous, I must say. Techno-lust !

Terrible name. Really...

If I may refer to my previous comment on the iPad name:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/657478

At 9.7", I can see the appeal a little more than the 7" that was expected... But the lack of open access just puts me right off again. You just know it's going to be locked down tighter than the crown jewels.

So.... Meh.... Again.

Silver badge

Apple's "Vista" moment?

When MS launched Vista, the meeja were making a BIG thing of the announcement. The BBC had a reporter in a computer store, getting vox-pops from passers by. One lady was shown the new O/S, told it had taken so many years to develop and cost so many billions of dollars. Her reaction to seeing the wizzy new interface: "is that all?"

Fast forward to the iPad launch, It appears to be a larger version of an iPhone, but without the phone. Is that all?

"World continues to revolve around sun"

Subheading like that, I was expecting a comment about Larry Ellison...

Grenade

is it...?

A large ipod touch or a small (overpriced) underpowered laptop without a physical keyboard?

Grenade because I am coming armed if theres fanboi's about

Grenade

Wanna bet...

Want to bet that the price will drop a few hundred dollars after a few months once Apple soaks the early buyers with a "Fashion Victim" tax, just like they did with the iPhone when it was first released?

Jobs Halo

In years to come

the OED will use this event as a definition of "fail". I'm an Apple fan but this is simply a disastrous event.

I almost feel sorry for old Stevie.

"Hey everyone, the netbook stinks, what you need is a bigger iPod Touch! We'll provide everything you need (at a price) and don't worry if it multitasks like a sysadmin on a Friday afternoon - you and it will look very cool!!!

Just look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes.

You're under."

Jobs Horns

Steve in my head...

See the Steve Jobs in my head sounds more like the guy from Indiana Jones/Temple of Doom.... KAHLI MAAAAAAH!!! and then Steve rips your heart from your chest. Glad to see some folks were out protesting the event. Nice to know some of us realize a horribly closed and locked down platform is not the best thing for consumers. We like choice, not choices made for us.

Silver badge

David Carr's dopey comment

Duh!

It has always been about the software, never the hardware [*].

Nobody carries a 2 pound lump, cellphone or even a laptop, around just for the fun of doing so. Nope, they carry it around because it provides life support for the software/data and the function those provide.

Nobody want's the hardware. They just want something that gives them the software. The hardware is a penalty you have to pay to have the software around.

Apple have taken the right route with this. A tablet has far more in common with a phone than a PC. MS have screwed up at least 4 attempts to get into tablets (one of Bill Gate's pet projects) because they have tried to make it into a Windows machine (ie. yet another PC). Of course they tried that on phones too.... Nobody wants to use the start bar on a phone or tablet.

[*] Slight exception maybe for iconic devices, like maybe the iphone, that apparently make you look cool.

Silver badge
Coat

hmmmrph

I remember a time not too long ago when mobile phones were hip, cool and expensive and it was not uncommon to find poseurs swanning about with fake "mockbiles" just so they could look cool too.

On another level, calls at that time were so expensive that sometimes even peeps who actually had a working phone would go around pretending to talk into them for the cool factor. I recall one guy who was doing this on a train only to be near fatally embarrassed when the wretched thing rang while he was talking into it.

Happy days, happy days.

Mines the one with the Motorola DynaTac 8000 in the pocket, thanks.

Silver badge

Ah an Apple netbook

Just too big to be a netbook (so you have to carry it externally so people can see you have an Apple) and 3 times the price plus tie ins and overexpensive 'addons'. An Apple netbook. Who'd have thought it....

Jobs Halo

iPad Keyboard Dock to work on iPhone/iPod Touch?

As the iPad is reported to use the same connector as the iPhone and iPod Touch, I wonder if this means the optional hardware keyboard available for the iPad will also work with these other devices? Hopefully it will be just like the lovely folding keyboard I had for the Palm Pilot about a decade ago!

Joke

You are dreaming arent you

This is a new device so any peripherals you buy for it won't work on your 'old' iPhone

Happy

No ARM?

So where is the ARM chip you said it would have?

FAIL

No Leg too...

...since it's going to cost an arm and a leg :-)

Rob

According to Wikipedia…

…the A4 uses the ARM architecture.

FAIL

Forgot to add a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A4

Anonymous Coward

I finally have definitive proof that Apple have no taste...

What could it be? Their over-reliance on minimalist design (well known by designers as being the safest option - no personality = nothing for anybody to dislike).

Or could it be the fact that this Jobs fella still insists on wearing a black polar neck, always (is he covering up hickies from adoring fanbois?)

Nope. According to Engadget they were playing 'Baby Let Me Follow You Down', a great Dylan song. But they were playing the ELECTRIC version! Ask anybody who knows Bob Dylan's music what they think of his electric period.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. Apple you try too hard. I would say FAIL, but then I'd have to kill myself (and yes Apple fans I know you want me to do that anyway...) x

... nope it's following Dieter Ram's 10 principles of good design.

http://www.vitsoe.com/en/gb/about/dieterrams/gooddesign

Dieter is a genius and I for one applaud the lack of extraneous buttons, stupid branding logos (single iconic apple logo is fine), crappy plastic, etc. Their design may be minimal but the physical engineering these days is superb. I will be looking forward to actual hold and interact with one.

Coat

Underwhelmed ...

... by this desciption? What was all the hype about? Nothing here strikes me as revolutionary ... sounds more like an oversize iPod Touch than an oversize iPhone given the mention of 3G (for data) and no voice call capabilities (except I assume for voip) ... maybe why google voice has not received Apples blessing? I'll reserve judgment for now and read a few more articles ...

Thumb Up

Not new but...

They said that about the iPhone tho. "Nothing new here". Have you any idea how many iPhones I see on the commute to work every morning!? Those buggers are everywhere (um... including my jacket pocket...). The iPad isn't "new" - it's a pooling of some of the best interface ideas in a format that is more easily consumed. I'm really excited by the idea of what this could do to the publishing industry. I'd much rather have an interactive stack of digital magazines that the backpack of design mags I usually lug around with me.

But I'm cautious too: I dont know if there is a market for an expensive device like this. And it'll only be a success if the content (such as interactive mags, lots of good books, a few killer apps) is there. And the idea of spending £499 + 3G contract on top of my iPhone contract... meh. Is there anyone rich enough left in the UK (apart from bankers) who can actually afford that any more?

Sly
Badgers

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I bet this won't be the first post in relation to a full wikipedia mirror on the iPad as a pseudo Hitchhiker's Guide to the Earth.

of course with all the DRM restrictions and such, you won't be able to copy the multimedia content over and it will end up being an incomplete Hitchhiker's Guide.

It's shiny... but I still think a larger version of Fujitsu's Lifebook u810 (the tiny one with the flip around screen) would be better (like with a 7" screen instead of the 5.6"). I'd be afraid I would break the screen on that iPad. at least give me a shell I can close over it... oh wait... Apple's aftermarket!

KA-CHING!

Only licensed Apple products may be used on the iPad. Otherwise it will cease to function until the unlicensed product is removed. If Apple hasn't figured this one out, they soon will.

Thumb Up

Good god !

Jesus Tablet seems interesting.

If the change rates keep up between Euro and Dollar (1.4 last I checked), that makes it close to 600€...Twice more than my Sony PRS-505 when I bought it...bit pricey...

Lets wait until blackrain can unjail it 8)

No camera, btw...

Silver badge
Coat

No camera?

Why on earth would you want a camera? How much of a bell-end would you look taking a picture with that??

Granted you'd look like a bell-end owning one full-stop... :-)

Erm...

Video calls perhaps, like most netbooks?

Welcome

Try searching Apple.com for iPad

Returns an empty page with errors.....

Really want to sell this thing don't they.

Sad that it's as speculated, for consuming media and Web 2.0, rather than doing anything useful. Yeah I know it runs "apps" but how many of them are really worth anything? But OTH they are vetted by Apple.

Maybe I am getting old.

One Question - Does it have a microphone?

Stop

Hmmm

Bit meh tbh.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Looks kinda clunky

I'd have thought they have done video to the edge or at least damn close.

With that big black outline around it if looks dated even before it's shipped.

Welcome

difference?

Is that Carmaggedon in the picture? That would be reason enough to buy it. Though surely the big questions are how is it better than a tablet PC and is it just a big IPhone? 16GB memory though, nice.

WTF?

Am I missing something?

"As expected, the iPad's raison d'être, according to Jobs, is to be a mobile video-watching, book-reading, game-playing, photo-perusing, music-listening, web-surfing, and email-emailing device."

So, it's a laptop?

Jobs Horns

yeah

I saw it, I laughed. What idiot would buy that over an iPod Touch or iPhone? That's if they wanted to stick with Apple. It looks like a kids toy, 4 buttons at the bottom? Seriously, I'm still laughing at how it looks, its pathetic. All that hype and what do you get, a McDonalds SuperSized iPhone.

Still laughing, and will point AND laugh at any idiot who buys one of those... things.

FAIL

heh

i was laughing pretty hard when i read the first article about the iPad some 10min. ago .... i was just thinking about all the Journalists and Hype and they all sit in fron of their screen thinking "how the hell should i explain THIS ..."

seriously tough, that thing is nothing special except its got an apple logo on it ... given, that will be reason enough for some people to buy it, but imo they really missed an opportunity here to give tablets a good push ... i mean jesus, not even putting a cam in there ... thats just made of fail ...

second to that there is no real target audience methinks ... i mean whos supposed to buy this ? iphone users allready have the same thing except with theirs they can also make phone calls ... ipod users ... njet, too big and bulky to serve as a substiute... and the rest of humanity will also live happily with their netbooks

Troll

Shekels

And how much will they be charging for this fashion-statement bit of techno-frippery? It looks frighteningly breakable to me for a mobile device.

Either way, good luck to 'em.

Silver badge
Pint

Intresting I suppose

Won't be able to move in here in a minute, for gushing fanbois!

I looks a little bulkier than I expected. Still should be intresting to see how it's recieved by the party faithful. No great surprise they locked it into the cash-cow that is Apps-Store.

Look forward to jail-breaking it and getting Ubuntu loaded! Just kidding, nothing like winding up the Jobs faithful!

STOP THE PRESSES!

There are islands in the pacific as yet untouched by western civilisation, where the most primitive of peoples live. They don't know what a computer is, they have never even heard of Apple and if they saw a white man, they would throw him into the nearest volcano to appease their pagan gods. Yet even they knew Steve Jobs was going to be announcing some sort of iTablet today.

Bronze badge
Joke

Incontinence - there's an app for that !

..... make your iPads work for you !

Anonymous Coward

iPad!!!???

Sounds like a ladies sanitary product!!! Will suite the boi's

Silver badge
FAIL

What's it for really and why is it better than a Macbook Air?

Just seen the iPad on the Beeb. I can’t help but be reminded of Dom Joly’s Trigger Happy TV mobile phone man.

<Nokia ring tone>Beep beepity fucking beep beep<\Nokia ring tone>

<in a loud voice> “Hello? I’m in an Apple Product Launch. Yeah. It’s not as big as mine though. No. Yeah. Har har! There’s probably an app for it, but the real thing’s better, or so say all the girls. You dirty old man. Ha! Cheers” <\in a loud voice><click>

(only in-a-loud-voice and not shouted-as-loud-as-possible because it’s not as big as Dom Joly’s phone. But ‘shouted’ might have been necessary to get the point heard across all those fawning journos and the wild yelps in praise of St Jobs)

How long before trousers get an iPocket to put it in? Though it'd take bloody big strides to get a whole ten incher in and not be uncomfortable.

Seriously though, where does this fit? It's too big to be a phone. So it's their answer to netbooks, right? But who seriously, really carries round netbooks? Anyone?

One thing it may do is force Microsoft's hand. "Apple custom silicon" probably means an ARM cpu, so the battery life might actually be half decent (assuming Apple have actually gone and put a decent battery in it). Windows netbooks might actually look quite rubbish in comparison battery-wise, largely because of Windows being stuck on Intel x86. So will MS be forced to port the full Windows OS to ARM, just to compete on battery life? Difficult call - that'd be a lot of work and grief. Apple with their FreeBSD roots had an easier job of it...

Paris Hilton

I got used to it..

'Though it'd take bloody big strides to get a whole ten incher in and not be uncomfortable.'

Mine feel fine but thanks for the concern mate.

Paris, a little uncomfortable about a ten incher but she got used to it too..

Paris Hilton

Poor boy.

Too much food microwaved in plastic containers as a child?

Paris, because she a mistress of tweezers and a magnifying glass.

Stop

Yawn

It's a tablet PC, they've been around for years, nothing to see here.

Yet the world's media falls for Apple's hype, yet again. Sadly all the fanbois will buy one, making it a whopping success, and the media circus will roll on.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.