Feeds

back to article Top Gear's Stig prowls Loch Ness

We're obliged to all those readers who rushed to alert us that The Stig of Top Gear fame has been spotted on the shores of Loch Ness: The Stig captured at Loch Ness on Street View Of course, no one knows just who The Stig is, but what's clear is that, in common with Judge Dredd, he never takes his helmet off - a fact proved …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Happy

Stig

"Some say he knows the location of Nessy..."

FAIL

Identity hiding fail

I like the way that his helmet is perfectly clear, but his stomach appears to have been blurred out.

Bronze badge
WTF?

Stig with a stick ?

Why has Stig apparently been auto-blurred just north of the genitals ? What exactly what was he doing ???

Black Vauxhall

Is it me or is the stig driving a Black Vauxhall?

If you spin round, you can see two cars in the lay-by behind ... one silver which appears to have two people in it, and another Black one (I think it's a vauxhall, I'm not very good with modern cars) which has nobody in it ... evidently this must be the stig's own car!

I would have thought he would be driving something a bit more swish than that :o

Happy

Black car

seems to have a google sticker in the back. Is this in fact the stig, or some kind of imposter?

Vauxhall

Isn't that what Google uses for their streetview cars..!!!

all a bit suspect.

FAIL

eh

thats not a Google sticker. thats a watermark.

Pint

Sticker?

That "sticker" is Google's copyright watermark you numpty.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

some say

the stigs real head is in his pants and the helmet on his head is in fact his..... helmet.....

Bronze badge

Some say he is the real loch ness monster

and that the google car is afraid of him.

Thumb Up

a small warning however...

Earlier, I googled

"the stig" "loch ness"

and half the results that came up were pages loaded with malware.

Be very careful if you're tempted to find it that way ! Other than that, nice one Stiggy-fella !

Paris Hilton

Euphemism

"he never takes his helmet off "

Fnarrr, Fnarrr

Paris, who has taken off at least two helmets

Gold badge
Happy

What I want to know.

Why has the Google blur-o-matic (tm) (beta) decided to blur out his, er, gentleman's area? Is there some previously unknown fact about The Stig being given away here?

(Cue endless 40' snake/Nessie gags)

FAIL

Really..

No-one knows... you sure about that?

Aside from myself and about 9000 other people on various fora i'm aware of i'm sure there are many others too.

Grenade

ODFO

This is not a fail. To be honest, Scott, I rather like the pretense that no-one knows. It's a bit like not knowing that Santa Claus is really your Dad (or Mum or whoever).

On the other hand, I also appreciate the fact that you haven't blurted out the name of the tame racing driver(s).

MAB

I discovered the stig at Loch Ness

I spotted the Stig mooching round Loch Ness! I sold the news to the Sun. Well, I say sold, I'm yet to receive any money.

I was previously an armchair parachuteer. I would put a fan in my face and rapidly zoom into Google Earth stopping just before I hit the deck, or max zoom level reached - whichever was sooner. I'm now an armchair driver. I travel along the countries roads (via streetview) - again with my trusty fan in my face (not sure why as my windscreen is fully functional) looking for the Stig. It's environmentally friendly too with 0 carbon emission and very little sulphur.

Are there any other readers out there with no lives like me?

Silver badge
Alert

Hopefully

"Are there any other readers out there with no lives like me?"

Not sure, but if there are, can you invite them all round to your house? Be good to keep them in one place I think!...

Joke

A Stig of many colours

How can the man be in so many places at once? Has he rent the fabric of space and time? We must be told.

Unhappy

Nice but...

They could have been a bit more subtle about it. Following the A82, the camera car was clearly photographing travelling away from Stig in both directions and they even left in one shot taken from the layby parked up behind the other black opel and Stig's silver Honda. Guess it must have been a bit chilly and Stig didn't want to be stood around too long, assuming it is the real Stig and not some Google wag.

Bronze badge

Cardboard cut out.

As has been widely discussed on the Interwebs, the office window siting is a cardboard cut out.

Anonymous Coward

well if its discussed on the internet...... !!

how can a cardboard cutout, show more of him when you move up and down the road. it may be fake but its not 2 dimensional

Anonymous Coward

'Who' is the Stig?

What makes you assume the Stig is a 'who'?

Indeed

That is a little bit 'singular'

Alert

the stig has been revealed right??

Has no one seen this??? lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8111588.stm

Bronze badge
WTF?

BBC on The Stig

"A BBC spokeswoman would not confirm whether or not Schumacher was the genuine Stig: "You have to bear in mind that Top Gear is an entertainment programme. We never reveal who or what The Stig is"

What do they mean *what* the Stig is? Are they suggesting some sort of mechanical monster or a golem?

Stop

I'll take the high road if you take the low road

Isn't it odd how in one photo the Google car is in the lay-by and in both directions along the road the car is obviously driving away from the Stig. So since it wasn't a simple drive-by but the Google car actually met up with the Stig, the Google driver either now knows the Stig or he setup a fake.

Although I guess there is nothing to stop the stig driving there in his black vauxhall with his helmet on and never speaking to the Google driver.

CC
Thumb Down

Not Nessy

He is actually BIGFOOT!

Coat

Some say...

...that his face isn't where you'd expect it to be, and that his pet is the Loch Ness monster...

Alien

Some say...

..that the stig is able to interact with technology and insert his image anywhere he sees fit, even if he has never visitied the place.

I believe the stig is immune to the survelience state and only appears when and where he wants... for reasons unknown to mortal man.

Alien..well...has anyone seen his face?

Coat

Blurring of Gentlemans area

Obvious when you think about it - it's where his registration number is!

Alien

Some say, Sting wears his wifes knickers.............

AC Are you suggesting Stig also has 'laughing Man' powers

Stop

Some say...

...that he was asking passers by for three fiddy.

Joke

New algorithm?

Perhaps it's a new blurring algorithm, which instead of blurring faces, replaces the whole image of the person with a Stig image? We could call it stiganography!

Anonymous Coward

Bastard.

Some say he needs a new keyboard, because the old one has coffee dripping out of it.

Others say his breath smells of boysenberry conserve and toast..

Whatever, I am not the Stig.

Some say...

That he was asking passers by for 'Three Fiddy'.

J 3
Coat

Never takes helmet off...

...and apparently never unfolds his arms either!

Must drive with the power of his mind.

Megaphone

But, that Stig guy -

we perfectly can identify him based on his shoes!

Picture 4 at

http://www.focus.de/sport/formel1/formel-1-countdown-fuer-schumachers-comeback_did_26991.html

proofs nothing less!

Linux

What is the dark shape in the water...

...just the the left of Stig and up a bit, above left from the tall bent tree.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=57+13%2733.82N+4+34%2719.81W&sll=57.47745,-4.201562&sspn=0.008433,0.021479&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=57.226109,-4.572287&panoid=ApPA1rwguy7D-Kl8q6i0bw&cbp=12,106.66,,1,1.33&ll=57.23443,-4.571943&spn=0,359.958243&z=15

Black Helicopters

Some say...

... he has the ability to get google to replace an entire section of the A82 on street view

Links are from the ends of the original images facing in towards the stig's location.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?layer=c&cbll=57.231724,-4.563896&cbp=12,208.64,,0,14.8

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?layer=c&cbll=57.222845,-4.576671&cbp=12,41.11,,0,10.99

IR

I'm guessing

This is just like all the other famous British characters, like Mary Poppins and Paddington Bear, that were captured by Google Streetview - they were set up. The reg even reported on it sometime last year, albeit initially to ridicule someone who thought that the Mary Poppins character was a ghost for some stupid reason.

Alert

Stig ?

Don't tell me that Top Gear is faking it now !

Didn't they just reveal the Stig to be Michael Schumacher ?

Either the other Reg commentards should change seats and sit in front of a TV set occasionally.

Or I have been watching too much TV.

ALF

Silver badge
FAIL

Obviously not...

Clearly you've not watched enough. The 'revelation' was a publicity stunt, and even Clarkson later said he didn't believe Schumacher was the stig.

Either way WTF has that got to do with the article????

Anonymous Coward

The Stig

Some say instead of genitals he has a human face

No it is genitals

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

Badgers

Well thats

Top Gears version of "Wheres Wally?" blown out of the water

Coat

re: the blur

omg i cant see his crotch!!

some say that makes him the crotch-less monster!!!

Boffin

Genitals Blurred?

My knob!

Loch Ness!

Scotland!

Raindrop!

Terminator

These questions must be asked...

Will he need a Pedo Certificate as he works with children ?

What would a Perv Scanner show up ?

How many re-incarnations has he gone through since Blonquist(T/F) ?

Paris Hilton

I thought the Stig had been revealed?

Did they not reveal last year that it was in fact Schuey?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.