back to article Google's Voice speaks from iPhone

Google has launched a new app that give US-based iPhone and Palm Prē and Pixi users access to its Google Voice service. But no, it's not the long-awaited Google Voice app for the iPhone that Apple has yet to approve for inclusion in its App Store. This Google Voice is an HTML5 web app, accessible through the iPhone's Safari …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Coward's Comment

If you want this same feature for your corporate network check out Taridium's ipbx PBX software. Same functionality, but using your own office mailbox and dialer.

2. Andrew James
    WTF?

Hang on...

HTML 5 allows Google to create a web version of its Voice app that hasn't been approved for inclusion into the App Store. You use it through your browser, so that makes it ok.

Except that the HTML 5 version then allows google to pick through the contacts in your phone, and allows it the ability to place new icons onto your phones home screen.

Surely this means that HTML 5 poses a serious threat to mobile browsing security, unless of course the phone only lets it do all this after an acceptance from the user.

3. Velv
    Go

AT&T ?

Now that Apple is getting out of bed with AT&T, surely the excuse of restricting VOIP to protect the carrier revenue is now irrelevant ?

Unless Apple is trying to protect the revenue of all carriers.....

1. Andrew James

The title is required, and must contain letters and/or digits.

If Apple starts actively giving the green light to VOIP apps all the carriers all over the world who currently offer an iPhone for free-£200 on an 18-24 month contract of varying monthly costs will start to withdraw the phone from their shelves.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Not putting my voice through google

With Google now emerging as the most evil company that ever existed, their CEO stating that those who care about privacy 'have something to hide', am I the only one that feels slightly uncomfortable about putting my voice through their service? The app might be free as in 'free beer' but in return they are just another step closer to taking something back... Your 'free'dom.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like