Still-existing web outfit AOL has spent $36.5 million to acquire StudioNow, a Nashville-based startup that builds online video platforms for other companies. AOL intends to work StudioNow's mojo into Seed.com, the company's media clearinghouse launched last year shortly after the 26-year-old internet company was spun-off from …
If I were AOL I would recognize the writing on the wall for their closed wall / prison model and start diversifying like mad. Buy up successful web outfits, and don't taint them by rebranding with AOL.
The traditional problem with AOL is they'd buy 3rd parties (e.g. Netscape, Nullsoft) and then bludgeon all the creativity and life out of these distinct brands. Hopefully they've learned their lesson.
- +Comment Anti-Facebook Ello: Here's why we're still in beta. SPAMGASM!
- NASA rover Curiosity drills HOLE in MARS 'GOLF COURSE'
- Vid+Pics Microsoft unwraps WINDOWS 10. Evidently, Seven ate Nine
- WHY did Sunday Mirror stoop to slurping selfies for smut sting?
- Business is back, baby! Hasta la VISTA, Win 8... Oh, yeah, Windows 9