Still-existing web outfit AOL has spent $36.5 million to acquire StudioNow, a Nashville-based startup that builds online video platforms for other companies. AOL intends to work StudioNow's mojo into Seed.com, the company's media clearinghouse launched last year shortly after the 26-year-old internet company was spun-off from …
If I were AOL I would recognize the writing on the wall for their closed wall / prison model and start diversifying like mad. Buy up successful web outfits, and don't taint them by rebranding with AOL.
The traditional problem with AOL is they'd buy 3rd parties (e.g. Netscape, Nullsoft) and then bludgeon all the creativity and life out of these distinct brands. Hopefully they've learned their lesson.
- Review This is why we CAN have nice things: Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- MEN: For pity's sake SLEEP with LOTS of WOMEN - and avoid Prostate Cancer
- Ex-Soviet engines fingered after Antares ROCKET launch BLAST
- Vid BONFIRE of the MEGA-BUCKS: $200m+ BURNED in SECONDS in Antares launch blast
- Hate the BlackBerry Z10 and Passport? How about this dusty old flashback instead?