back to article Fujitsu faces strike action

Union Unite has confirmed five more days of strike action at Fujitsu. Starting tomorrow, Friday 22 January, 454 union members at Fujitsu will walk out. Further strike days are planned for Friday 29 January, Monday 1 February, Friday 5 February and Monday 8 February. Unite members in Northern Ireland will strike 26 January, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Fully behind them

Not a Fujistu employee but more power to them. For too long companies have been increasing profits by dipping into the wallets of their employees. Lazy crap management means that it's easier to rob your own staff than think of ways to drive business through decent management.

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Question:

I'm of the 'younger' generation; when has strike action ever had a postive long-term result for the employees?

Why don't people "vote with their feet" and go to get another job instead with another company, who will treat them better? Ok, people have families, but if they are slightly flexible they can likely land another role elsewhere.

If you're at the stage of considering going on strike action, you are unlikely to be able to change the big cog in the machine, so get out, that's my advice. I've done it twice before in permanent positions, as acquisitions usually end with disgruntled employees, which seriously negatively affects morale.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

@AC 14:26

"Why don't people "vote with their feet" and go to get another job instead with another company, who will treat them better?"

Because try as I might, I'm having difficulty learning Hindi or Filipino, and the handful of jobs left for tech workers in western countries treat us all the same: disposable.

Train your replacement and then get the hell out.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wake up and smell the coffee

Why don't these people get real? Final salary pension schemes have been closing all over the place for years. Everyone is having to pay more for lower pension benefit. A lot of people (in and out of IT) have had their salaries reduced to zero by redundancy. The economy (national and worldwide) is completely different to what it was twenty or even ten years ago. And a lot of Fujitsu employees are sitting on preserved public sector pensions which will be way better than what people with the same salaries, jobs and length of service will get if they're private-sector staff. Which is why they don't leave and go somewhere where the grass is greener - because the grass is very green where they are, thank you.

It's hard to see why Fujitsu staff should be feather-bedded while everyone else is gritting their teeth (and the roads, occasionally.)

1. ishmael

fj pensions

"Why don't these people get real? Final salary pension schemes have been closing all over the place for years"

final salary pension schemes have been closing TO NEW MEMBERS for years. what is innovative about fujitsu's position is that they're closing it to EXISTING members.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strike!

Wonder if the Fujitsu executives have had their gold-plated section of the defined benefit scheme closed to further accrual too. Methinks not, somehow. Funny how 'remuneration' contracts that contain pension terms are considered inviolate, yet the same terms in regular contracts for the proles aren't.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: points made previously

"It's hard to see why Fujitsu staff should be feather-bedded while everyone else is gritting their teeth (and the roads, occasionally.)"

When I left Fujitsu last year I was being paid £7.00 on a temp contract - with only the statutory entitlements to sick pay and holidays and no bonuses. The perms I was working with were on around 14.5K and although they had 25 days holiday and sick pay paid by the company, I would hardly describe them as being featherbedded. It should be remembered that other Fujitsu sites pay even less.

"And a lot of Fujitsu employees are sitting on preserved public sector pensions which will be way better than what people with the same salaries, jobs and length of service will get if they're private-sector staff."

Presumably these would be people TUPE'd from public sector jobs when outsourced. When I was working on a helpdesk for a prominent regulator, my public sector employed predecessors had been earning over 20K plus all the usual public sector perks.

"Why don't people "vote with their feet" and go to get another job instead with another company, who will treat them better?"

In my experience, most of the people I worked with did just that and left if they could. But a lot of people weren't able to leave, because for example they were turned down for being too old if they applied for jobs externally. And for people outside of the South East there aren't necessarily many other jobs to go to anyway. I went to 2 job interviews at an outsourcing company in Central London, in my own time, while I was on holiday. Back at work, I was invited to an interview with a client. When I requested time off to go to the interview, it was refused. When I complained about it I was told that 'technically' I had to give 2 weeks notice if I wanted time off to go to interviews. I was also told at the same time that was no prospect of being made a permanent employee. In effect I was unable to apply for external vacancies unless I resigned and as a temp I was disbarred from applying for internal vacancies. The only way round the problem was to throw a sickie if an interview came up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

RE: RE: Points Made Previously

"When I left Fujitsu last year I was being paid £7.00 on a temp contract - with only the statutory entitlements to sick pay and holidays and no bonuses. The perms I was working with were on around 14.5K and although they had 25 days holiday and sick pay paid by the company, I would hardly describe them as being featherbedded. It should be remembered that other Fujitsu sites pay even less."

You then go on to mention the "20k plus" salary of ex-public service employees.

Frankly, those are low end dull IT jobs, the ones that really should be shipped away. Why not get yourself some proper qualifications and work on getting a good skillset? I'm 25 and wouldn't settle for anything less than two to three times the varying figures you've just quoted.

If you're working on a helpdesk, then you should surely also investigate why these types of psuedo-IT roles are always seen as crap, and therefore a starting point for getting into the industry.

Whoever is working in "IT" for that money after earning more before clearly isn't smart enough to be in business. Have some self-respect, particularly if you've been in the industry for years.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like