back to article Plextor plunges into SSD pool

Japanese-owned Plextor, a significant player in the optical drive business, is entering the solid state disk (SSD) market, riding on the back of Philips Lite-On Digital Solutions (PLDS). Plextor is privately owned by Shimano Kenshi of Japan. PLDS is a joint-venture and is licensed to sell Plextor kit in North America. PLDS …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Sanders
    Flame

I know I'm a pain but...

Where are the prices????

2. Gordon 10
    Alert

What are they thinking?

A me-too product. Unless the Marvell controllers offer Barefoot exceeding levels of performance why in the world would you choose plextor as your supplier?

3. jason 7
    Stop

Plextor - used to be good....

at taking other manufacturers products and customising them with superior firmware and support. Worth the premium...then.

Now they are just a brand trading on old times. So who really makes this SSD?

I bet the only Plextor made part on this is the label.

4. John.Kotches
    WTF?

Brands...

Vertex is a line of drives by OCZ, they are not distinct brands.

1. leexgx

barefoot

i never remember what OCZ Vertex SSD use so i call them vertex based my self, even tho that is incorrect in it self (they all use the same Indilinx Barefoot controller {if it has 64mb norm Indilinx} that is the same as the vertex based SSDs flash on the barefoot may be different tho)

he should correct that thought

5. Nexox Enigma

Sequential speed isn't that important...

The sequential speed of a brand new SSD is a rather worthless compared the the controller's ability to maintain that speed after the drive is somewhat used, especially with MLC drives. It could be that this Marvell controller works out decently in that department. Or maybe it's just super cheap.

This topic is closed for new posts.