back to article Apple turns to Murdoch for iSlate content

Apple is reportedly in talks with HarperCollins for the publisher to provide content for the upcoming iSlate. The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple has been talking to HarperCollins about selling eBooks for the iSlate - or whatever Apple decides to call the Newton's successor - along with details of how exactly "enhanced …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. richard 69
    Thumb Down

the sun

yippee, soon i'll be able to read 'the sun' on an expensive tablet.....or i could just buy a copy of 'the sun'....or i could just visit the website of 'the sun'.

back to the glue sniffing...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Does one buy the Sun?

I thought it was a sort of fungus that grew on trains?

2. Michael Hawkes
    Paris Hilton

Money

Since Rupert stated he wants the online News Corp content to make money, the iWhatever seems like a natural for him. It also might be why he has been dithering about settting up paid content - he has been waiting for Apple to finally finish their product.

Paris, for the money shot/angle.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ad-supported OS patent

If you want to do want to “link the whole thing to Murdoch's much-discussed plan to make readers pay for content, if one wanted to join all the dots,” then worth recalling this story http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/16/intrusive_apple_ad_patent/

Just my two cents, but rather than having an ad-operated OS on a regular computer, as has been tried and err, tested with little success (as the story suggested), I reckon this kind of patent would be very attractive to publishers. Particularly ones like Murdoch, who aren’t happy with the current online revenue model.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Wow!

Nice one Rupie baby?

The ad content OS aspect might actually be helpful too if integrated with GPS (avoid this route, accident on that route, hold up on the other, ...

Or even for public venues (opening hours, closure days and dates, when the refuse collectors call and for what, ... )

So an integrated way of doing stuff might not be too bad at all (content, content and contented content?)

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Jobs Horns

Way to go!

Well *that's* taken all the fun out of Uncle Steve's "guess what's turning up on the 27th" game going on elsewhere.

I suppose the Jobsian fanbois can all pee normally now rather than holding it in to ensure they wet themselves in excitement on the glorious day.

6. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

Page 3

<sarcasm>

Oh wow, dose this mean e-ink/OLED tits at last? With multi-touch? Oh no of course it won't, Apple doesn't do tit's.

</sarcasm>

The Sun doesn't really seem like the sort of publication Apple fanbois read (bit down market), neither dose The Times (bit right wing) so would Newscorp and Apple really be a good fit?

Then again, if Rupert wants to charge for on-line access to his 'content' and people actually do pay then both he and Apple do share something in common - Customers who spend ridiculous amounts of money on locked down, restricted, questionable products.

Paris, cos she has multi-touch too

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: Page 3

Well, the article mainly mentions the venerable publisher, HarperCollins, so is really talking about books.

However, as to your question would Murdoch's new Corporation be a natural for Apple, the answer is 'yes, if it pays'. There's a bit more to News Corpoation than the two UK papers you mentioned... it has quite a few papers in quite a few countries, such as the Wall Street Journal. It also comprises of hip and happening (albeit overtaken by Facebook) MySpace and large number of online media outlets, television stations, film companies etc etc.

1. LinkOfHyrule
        Thumb Up

Fair point! Ish

Fair point, I shall stick to the tit gags in future. Though MySpace looks like its over.

7. John Savard
    Jobs Horns

Oh, Dear

China running out of 10-inch LCDs, and now this. Apparently this new product will indeed be an enlarged iPod Touch, then, which is only good for running approved software, if it is at least partly an eBook reader.

It could still be true that if it isn't available in a cell phone version, Apple might have a more liberal policy on applications for it than for its companions, and actually allow applications that users can program themselves. I dearly hope so, even if I personally wouldn't be likely to buy one in any case, because I would like to see Apple make something useful.

Instead of a cool toy that could have been a useful and powerful tool, but which Apple has forced to be just a toy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Try waiting a week?

All will be revealed next week, so personally - if I cared much about this - I would wait a few days and see what the product is, rather than getting upset about certain speculation... even if you've no plans to buy the product regardless of what it is.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Le grumble

Well, if the "killer app" is loads of Murdochware, that's about the first rumour about the new iThingy that I've heard that has in any way put me off.

If it's not auto-enriching Murdoch out of the box, I may consider it, otherwise, will avoid like the wossname.

In other news, Ocado tell me they have discontinued the free copy of the Times with every delivery, so I can get my bourgouis running whelk pig dog hyena on and order from them again sans Murdochware, yay!

9. Ascylto
    Big Brother

War

What if providers like NewsCorp decide to withdraw from providing material for i/book/slate/thingy in the future ... I smell war!

This topic is closed for new posts.