back to article Peppa Pig told to belt up

Parents whose kids have ever refused to belt up will be relieved to learn that kids TV character Peppa Pig will not in future been seen without a seatbelt, thereby ensuring that pre-school nippers are educated early in the need to travel in safety. Peppa Pig: Pic: Astley Baker Davies Astley Baker Davies, the company behind the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Oh FPS!

There are too many 'families' in this country where the child is in charge and the parents do whatever the kids want.

My daughter is nearly 5. A while back she refused to allow me to (appropriately)strap her into the (appropriate) seat. So I simply lifted her out the car, locked the car and went back indoors. She cried about not going out and was told simply, either get strapped in, or don't go in the car - you choose. Needless to say we now have no issue about wearing seatbelts.

Thumb Up

Peppa {oink} pig

I tend to agree that to some extent the people who have complained are perhaps missing an opportunity. I remember an occasion when our daughter saw an episode of Nijntje (Miffy in the UK) and her observation was that she does not look where she is going when riding a bike so she is naughty.

Peppa pig is also naughty for not wearing a seat belt and that is the lesson to be taken from this. But to what level do you allow the naughtiness? We do not like our daughter seeing too much violence so some cartoons are not allowed. If there were a children's show that routinely showed people smoking then that would be black listed too.

There are posts here that simply say we should not be allowing kids to use role models from the television. The trouble is that kids use everything as role models and simply telling a five year old that it is only fiction does not work. That's why we have ratings on films because kids do not always understand that television is fiction. The best you can hope for is that they realise that not all people make good role models.

I tend to agree with your approach to parenting but there is an obvious danger to telling a four year that she or he has a choice and that is that they will choose the option you did not want them to choose (most likely when it is most inconvenient).

Grenade

hehe

I guess I am not the only one to use that method.

Though in my case it was taking _BOTH_ junior and the inlaw out of the car. Never had a problem since.

Reality

Please let people who have children know it is their job to teach children about fiction, otherwise the children will end up as Avatards.

FAIL

Seriously

When your child pays more attention to a 5 year old cartoon pig than they do to you, their parent, that's not the cartoons fault.

Anonymous Coward

So...

...they're doing all this work because one idiot parent doesn't have the nouse to tell their offspring (a) Peppa Pig is a pig and pigs can't actually drive cars and (b) shut up and do as you're told.

It's a cartoon of a family of talking pigs who live in a house, wear clothes, drive cars, etc. it isn't supposed to be realistic.

Aww C'mon!

My girl is totally addicted to Peppa (could call her a toddler uber fan and it it soooooooooo annoying) and has not once commented on the fact the pink piggy one doesn't wear a seat belt. I suspect this kids mother who complain has nothing better to do with her time other than complain about a kids tv program.

Hell in my day Fred Flintstone was driving a car with no floor let alone seatbelts and I managed to survive.

Parents, eh?

See, normally parents are all proud and stuff cos their particular little brat is "special". But whenever it suits you, you're willing to take the opposite view -- that your child is 100% identical to every other child, so if anyone claims a child is different from yours it's clearly their fault.

Happy

Peaaaapaa PIG!

I love Peppa, shes so cute

Wow - what excellent parenting

'She's a cartoon piggie - you're not, so you will wear a seatbelt'.

Stop using a TV to raise your children!

What happens when Tom and Jerry comes on?

ttfn

Thumb Up

what happens?

we thin out the population of retarded people! I like your thinking!!!!

Grenade

Depends whom you ask

There is a significant number of people out there who are of the opinion that children cannot distinguish reality from fiction. That is why not surprisingly Tom and Jerry does not tend to come on very often on the TV nowdays. It is "politically incorrect" and "violent".

Pint

Forget Me Not?

Isn't Fifi ForgetMeNot seen driving AND waving without a seat belt in the opening sequence of every show? Fifi ForgetMeNot forgot?

Stop

cartoon

its a cartoon - there are no roads in it and they live on top of a hill with an impossible to drive up incline, but they do anyway - if you can't convince a child they do not necessarily do what a cartoon talking pig does - you have serious parenting issues.

Anonymous Coward

Vet who can have kids

"one parent "complained that her daughter had refused to wear a seatbelt because Peppa did not"

That is one useless mother.

Coat

Invoking Samuel L. Jackson

...fucker?

FAIL

Parenting FAIL

one parent "complained that her daughter had refused to wear a seatbelt because Peppa did not."

OMG epic parenting fail!

For starters - ONE parent... One out of how ever many million parents there are in this world... talk about catering to the pathetic minority!

she should have said "I'm telling you to put it on and i'm your mother, now shut up and put your seat belt on before I belt you one myself you spoilt little brat!"

It's a F'cking cartoon character FFS - Fic-tion-al Char-ac-ter, when the hell did fictional crap outweigh a parents ruling??? I bet she voted Labour.

seriously, it's dumbass parents like this who make me think back to the days when my Biology teacher ranted that everyone should have to pass a common sense, competency test and get a certificate in order to have kids

FAIL

"....I bet she voted Labour"

You must be over 18 to vote.

Hallmark's latest :-

"Happy 13th Birthday Mum!!"

"Congratulations on your first ASBO"

Unhappy

I would have upvoted "Hallmark"

... except that it brought such a cold chill of reality.

I am saddened, and feel so glad my parents taught me personal responsibility.

Now, if only we can get the government to understand that concept, instead of being filled with Piggy Porkers, eh?

Oddly, that works for both sides of the pond...

IT Angle

Pigs ... In ... SpaaaaAAAAaace!

Strangely, the Peppa Pig space rocket toy *does* have seat belts, although the car toy does not.

FAIL

Coming soon...

A Daily Fail petition to get compulsory seatbelts in toy cars added to BS EN71...?

Grenade

WTF?

I would say that being unable to convince one's child of the need to wear a seatbelt is one's own failure. Instead of phoning up the BBC to complain about Peppa Pig maybe these parents should invest in one of the many excellent books available on how to get your kids to do as they're bloody well told.

Hint: refusing to take them anywhere in the car unless they comply is a good start. If that means you don't get the weekly shop, so much the better. A couple of days of dry bread for dinner and any philosophical position they hold on seatbelts will be quickly amended.

Not aunties fault

It is totally inappropriate to complain to the BBC about Peppa Pig, as she airs on Channel 4 (do you guys not watch kids TV?)

The one time have been tempted to complain to the BBC was about an episode of Bob the Builder in which sound travels faster than light (although there are clear health and safety and competitive tendering issues in Bobsville as well).

(untitled)

err, channel 5 and nick jr you mean.

Bloody C programmers

It's a fair cop. Out by one error there

WTF?

for crying out loud...

ITS A PIG!

Flame

How many complained?

"...one parent complained..."

I'm willing to bet that parent is unable to control their child at the best of times, and was simply blaming someone else for those failings. Psychologists have a word for this subconscious transfer of responsibility but I forget what it's called.

Silver badge

I believe the word you are looking for

is 'projection'.

Truth in animation

That pig still seems to be walking on two legs, perhaps they should go back and amend that glaring error. Then show Peppa Pig covered in shit like a normal pig.

WTF?

Mmmmm, bacon

I have a hideously disfigured nose because when my brother and I were young we used to pretend to be Tom and Jerry, and he would frequently smash me in the face with a frying pan. Some might argue that my parents should have just told him not to pound my face with iron mongery but I think it's quite obvious that children should be allowed to mindlessly emulate any behaviour they witness, regardless of whether the role model in question is a cartoon even-toed ungulate.

I blame the animators.

Thumb Up

winner!

if there was a way to ever win this conversation, you've just done it, thats the most awesome thing I heard all day, not only did you guys get it on with heavy metal, but you actually lived to tell people who you are and how cool you can be!

Such a cool kat!

Thumb Down

Car

I also find it concerning that the 'Peppa Pig Push & Go Car' is open top, without a roll cage of any sort for safety. It also does not appear to have sufficient lighting to pass the MOT.

FAIL

fail parenting

Agree with the fact that seatbelt should be drawn in cartoon but serious parenting fail!!!

simple remove child from car

smack on bum

Reinsert child in Car

Do up Belt

Drive

Stop

Woah hold on there...

Oh my god you can't do that...

You have to check your mirrors and the surrounding environment before driving.

TRT
Silver badge
FAIL

Child rearing FAIL

20 years pass...

"Your honour, the defendant was only doing what she had seen on television when she smashed her husband's brains out with a heavy ashtray."

For pities sake; child's TV privilege revoked FTW.

FAIL

It's not rocket science

My daughter adores Peppa Pig but even at the age of (almost) three she knows it's not real. On the two occasions she did try to wriggle out of her car seat though, we just stoppd the car and told her we're going nowhere. Worked a treat.

Stop

Vision

Forget the seatbelt issue - should a pig with both eyes on the same side of its nose be allowed to drive?

Bronze badge
Alert

You mean they don't already?

Who knew?

Troll

What!

"smack on bum"

Isnt that abuse?

Bronze badge
Go

Only if...

...you enjoy it!

Pint

Real Ale anyone?

Is it too soon in Peppa's life for her teach our children about real ale and crap lager?

Happy

Cartoons do not influence kids

Lots of people played pacman as kids and didn't end up moving about in darkened rooms munching on pills.

Err hang on...

Anonymous Coward

I didn't know...

...Marcus Brigstocke read El Reg

Anonymous Coward

I too enjoy Peppa Pig...

.. which is why, like Daddy Pig, I never wear trousers in public.

Badgers

wut

The animators had "initially considered including seatbelts and child seats in the show but felt it might limit the characters' range of expressions"

- why would the seatbelt cover their faces?

Surely they would need an extra "ow this seatbelt is really pinching my massive pigbody" expression, not less.

Anyway, let this be a lesson to them. ONE WHOLE MUM complained. Take that. Never do shoddy work again. Next time it might be TWO PARENTS.

It doesn't say how old the mum is. She might actually not be much older than her kid. At least the mum didn't use the excuse herself to the cops as to why SHE wasn't wearing a belt.

Black Helicopters

Don't you know ...

Some pigs are more equal than others...

Two legs good, four legs bad.

Happy

Rather than all this re-animating stuff

Wouldn't be easier just to do one episode where Peppa get's a good slap for not listening??

Alright alright, violence is not the answer - but it does make for damn funny cartoons.

Yes.. but...

Do one episode where Peppa forgets to put her seatbelt on, crashes the car and ends up as lots of tasty pig product..

Black Pudding. Yum!

Grenade

ffs...

Have NO parents got any backbone these days?

If the little girl wants to act like a pig, then she should be treated like one till she sees sense.

Anonymous Coward

The creator says...

"We were very naive when we started making Peppa"

the rest of the sentence read "in believing that parents knew how to bring up their children and take repsonsibility for that upgringing. We know know this is not the case and we have to waste our time making up for the poor quality of parents today." Peppa pig is 6.

Yes one complaint in 6 years. I pty the poor chinese factory that has to remake the moulds for the toys before they get banned as well for not having a seatbelt.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums