back to article Microsoft plucks Azure SLAs from cloud of secrecy

Microsoft will revise the wording on its Azure cloud service level agreements (SLAs) following a trip into a Kafkaesque world of secrecy. The company promised The Reg that it will update the wording on the site for its Windows Azure Compute, Azure Storage Service, SQL Azure, and AppFabric Service Bus and Access Control …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. raving angry loony

redefined uptime?

Microsoft once defined "uptime" as including time spent rebooting due to patches and necessary updates. So even though the systems weren't actually available, because they were being rebooted due to a deliberate event we were told that they were considered "up".

Utter and complete bullocks of course, but that was their definition a few years ago at least, when I last worked with Microsoft servers. I guess it was the only way they could reach their advertised 3-nines uptime.

Are they doing that for their cloud offerings as well? How IS Microsoft re-defining "uptime" these days?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

uptime, downtime, sometime or other...

Some state the converse, downtime, to be "any designated time that the user base cannot login which means the service that the system was meant to provide has effectively been compromised". Hats off to MS for defining "uptime" as including time spent rebooting due to patches and necessary updates, presumably buried in the finer print. Caveat emptor.

Answer to the question "what does uptime really mean" is subject to inidividual contracts. Read the fine print, and only commit to signing once looped arguments (a.k.a weasel words) are written out. Remember that "ignorant will sign what ignorant will not confess to not know about".

2. Pete 8
    Pirate

So if they

did an NHS or (nz) INCIS, they could still make 90% with no boxes plugged in.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    FAIL

That's roughly *unscheduled* 43 hrs downtime a year

How does this compare with the other cloud providers?

My memory is mainframes expect 99.999 uptime.

BTW I'm presuming this is hosting a bunch of Windows systems by the company that *wrote* Windows. On *that* basis this does not seem very impressive.

That would be a reason to keep the details very quiet.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like