back to article Star Trek to boldly go (again)

Paramount has announced that the sequel to JJ Abrams' successful reboot of the Star Trek franchise will hit cinemas on 29 June 2012. Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman will return to script the as-yet-untitled follow-up, while Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof once again shares production credits with Abrams. Abrams has not yet signed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Happy

How about...

..a Harry Potter cross over!

with sparkle!

Thumb Up

Oh get in

The Borg FTW, basically!

Megaphone

The Borg...?

Seriously, the Borg? They already did some hand-waving to allow Cpt. Archer to meet the the Borg despite it being made abundantly clear in "Q Who?" that the federation had !never! come into contact with them before.

I'll still go and see it, but i wont wear my ears.

Boffin

Yeah...

But this whole new movie franchise is a "reboot", "re-imagining" or whatever they're calling it this month... plus, the less said about Enterprise the better.

Thumb Down

I vote

I vote no to Shatner. Let this series be a reboot, not a corny pastiche. Bringing back TOS characters/actors has *so* been done.

throw some time travel in too while they're at it

They need to resurrect Vulcan after all.

Maybe add a bit of Da Vinci Code and Sherlock Holmes too for good measure.

It's all good.

Really???

The Borg??? Not in James T's time- His foe du jour was always the Klingons.

Bill...

speaking as a Trekker, I don't think the rather good movie lost anything by not having Bill in it and I can't see any good reason to have him the next.

FAIL

No Borg Please

loved the 1st film, but hope they don't go with the Borg for the 2nd, the Borg have been done to death frankly.

Thumb Down

Also ...

The Federation in the reboot got its arse handed to it by ONE, count it, ONE Romulan ship from the 24th century and would have done the same to Kirk and the Enterprise had it not been for Nero halting the attack.

And we know from the ST:TNG and "First Contact" that a single Borg cube can turn a fleet of dozens of 24th century Federation ships into scrap without much effort.

Unless they really water down the Borg to a bunch of wimps there is no way they could write a script that I could believe the original Enterprise, crew and Federation could stand up to the Borg. And if they do that the backlash from fans is going to be huge.

Oh gawd

Not the bloody borg..

... and please no more bloody time travel, parallel universe crap.

Why not a new baddy? I thought that was the whole point of the reboot. Even though I thought the first film was brilliant this sounds creatively bankrupt.

Thumb Down

I second this...

Borg - Time travel - Borg - Time Travel was all we heard about in Voyager after the success of First Contact.

Rick Berman nearly destroyed Star Trek with that.

Do something new for a change!

Kirk vs the Borg was good in The Return (book). But would be shit in a film.

FAIL

Borg

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring. Will not watch.

Thumb Up

oooh

We come in peace, shoot to kill?

Joke

To boldly go where no man has gone before...

Captain's log... Who dares follow Kirk into the toilet?

Bronze badge
Coat

@Dancing John

That would be William Shatkirk, surely?

Stop

oh god....

Not another pile of steamy goo from hollywood... just leave my childhood memories in one piece rather than badly remaking these damn things and making me hate them now. It's not on!

Go

I think..

PAtrick Stweart, back in time FTW!!!

make it so.

FAIL

It can't be the Borg

We (The Audience) first met the BORG in The Next Gen with Picard in 'I Borg' so are they going to re-write history.

That's it kick the franchise to death again.

Go

Umm

They already have re-written history... when Spock brought what's his doobrey back to his past and ended up destroying Vulcan. The "reboot" films are now on a parallel timeline to the original films.

Keep up. :)

Coat

I think you'll find...

I think you'll find it was in Q Who.

mines the one with the TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and movies DVDs in the pocket.

Anonymous Coward

No reason why it can't be the Borg

It's an alternative history Trek after all.

Although give them Swedish accents this time around please.

We are the Bjorn Borg

and should they be teddy bears? Adam and Jo style?

Anonymous Coward

That should be "We are the reBjorn Borg"

Enough said.

Paris Hilton

Re: All those banging on about re-writing history!

They already did that in the reboot. remember? No Vulcan and 2 Spocks?

Why Paris? Because "We'll Always Have Paris!"

Silver badge
Pirate

Reboot, Reuse, Recycle...

After a 40 year timeline of (generally) self consistent stories, some lazy/greedy production team have taken a cultural icon and butchered it for a quick buck. Thanks to this "reboot" of the franchise, entire story arcs have been wiped from the record. All the work that went into the original series, TNG, DS9 and Voyageris has effectively been torn up. I wonder how long before it gets rebooted again?

A bit of Temporal Prime Directive should have be applied.

Plot without huge holes in it this time, please

The first film wasn't /too/ bad, assuming you ignored major plot holes, assumed everyone was a moron and mentally overdubbed Simon Pegg's accent and acting with something more scottish (so, almost the same criteria to enjoy Star Wars III, then. 1-2 are beyond redemption).

Something just as fun, but with smaller plot holes next time I hope. At least Spider-Man 4 has died temporarily, and here's hoping they don't bother with X-Men 4 after the pathetic third outing.

Z 1
Pint

Klingons off the starboard bow...

... make is so...

FAIL

Vote No on Borg

Because you can't have epic lines like "KAAAAAAAAAHHN!" with emotionless enemies.... Go Klingon or go home...

Kodos?

As young Kirk's father never got to Tarsus IV in this timeline - then perhaps he should be chasing down Kodos who by this time would have been responsible for quite a few murders..

Thumb Up

No! Not the Borg again...

Now that they have all these new parallel timelines they can explore, they could re-do Wrath of Khan with Kirk dying instead of Spock.

Or how about Star Fleet vs The Daleks.

Go

Followed by...

Piccard trying to negotiate a peace treaty between the Timelords and the Q?

Go

A title is not required.

On board Babylon 5, the meeting to be chaired by Jerry Cornelius?

LPF
Thumb Up

Only one word is required

Khhhhaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Gold badge
Coat

Shatner? Again?

"Star Trek, the creakquel"

I suppose if he's assimilated we'll get to see the first Borg with a built-in Zimmer frame.

Mine's the one with the dodgy script and plank of wood in the pocket.

Stop

Borg?! FFS...

So the Borg "...are the most likely candidate to be the antagonists for this film". Well the attitude so thinly veiled by that comment just goes to show what massive respect they have for their source material.

Borg were explicitly stated to have had no prior contact with mankind when they first appeared in The Next Generation. In First Contact, they chucked in a time paradox plot whereby a Borg ship went back in time to the 21st century (but were followed by the Enterprise, thus sparing wider reality from pre-historic Borg incursion).

So more time-travel-to-no-effect-thank-God paradox, or direct contradiction of the original source material. This is going to be so incredibly trite. In fact, whereas the hype wasn't enough to make me see the first one, I may well watch this just to see how they plot it. Add to this bloody Shatner and we're sorted for cringe-worthy Trekeoptypes. Might as well get Data to turn up and somehow develop emotions for the first time, for the hell of it.

Bronze badge

Why not?

You see, the reboots happens after the 'Enterpise' series in which they meet the borg. And the federation now has the technology from the future brought by Spock prime some why not?

Except that the borg have already been done to death but then thay might be able to do something nice with them

Flame

FINE

Ok, they blew away every ST movie and episode by screwing up the timelines in the last movie so it's now possible for the Borg to get a run at Kirk. And yes, the Borg were probably the best set of nasties in the ST universe.

BUT, I'm bored/sick/filled with loathing of seeing the damn BORG and all the bizarre tweaks they keep pulling in scripting. Pretty soon we'll see little Borg dogs and cats running around the cubes.

Can't someone come up with a decent Federation vs. Klingon script? They were supposedly the biggest ongoing problem in the original ST, but they've always gotten the third-rate villian treatment.

Anonymous Coward

Nerd Alert

"...klingon...They were supposedly the biggest ongoing problem in the original ST"

If you listen to the dialogue carefully in ST2008 the klingons had an entire fleet wiped out by the future Romulans at Rura Penthe. They're probably not up to strength yet enough to get a whole sequel to themselves :)

Anonymous Coward

Politicans could be the antagonists

They could declare marshal law, but in the guise of anti terrorist laws, Kirk, Picard or anyone of the captains (but not Janeway) are now freedom fighters, destroying cameras, draining moats and swinging from the chandeliers of the oppressive rogue federation,

It could have some swashbuckling and hooded man type references as well. And it could all be solved by the use of Tech, Tech and Tech coupled with Tech.

Wesley Crusher could be the mastermind behind it all, in a sort of Satanic temptation way, and we could see all the politicians succumb to Wesley's tests of judgement.

Bronze badge

It's been done

with Section 31 in DS9. Not to mention that the original series had a pretty distrustful attitude to government in general in that just about every second episode seemed to be a utopian libertarian parable.

In general I think the principle should be: "Star Trek has already done that". Which pretty much is the problem.

(Oh, and there was Insurrection but I try to forget that.)

WTF?

Teletubbies

I thought the Teletubbies were lined up for a role in the sequel.

Alien

Could be made plausible.

The Star Trek graphic novel prequel establishes that Nero's ship was augmented with Borg technology that the Romulans had been tinkering with (which is why it look absolutely nothing like any other Romulan starship to date). Freed from Romulan control after the ship was destroyed, any surviving Borg technology might have sent a signal to the Collective.

Terminator

Negative Universe Borg

I vote for the opposite Star Trek to be the baddies, where the Borg are the heroes. The movie would be about the Enterprise and her crew seeking to destroy the Borg because... oh, wait a tick.

Silver badge
Grenade

My reaction?

I am reminded of TP's wonderfull pastiche, "today is a good day for somebody else to die". Kiplakh!

Jobs Horns

Kiss me Hardy

I read they're going to change some aspects of the leading characters in this parallel universe version, including making Kirk and Spock lovers. Apparently they want the next film to milk the pink pound.

Star Trek was always supposed to be a Western in space, so I suppose they're just making it more of a Brokeback Mountain type of film.

I suppose having the Borg in it fits in with this roadmap. They're a bit camp really aren't they? Just like the Daleks who are, let's face it, a bunch of screamers with phallic appendages aplenty. "Exterminate! Exterminate! Oooh, get heeer!!!"

Bring back a parallel Khan, played by Diego Maradona. He's a world icon who, combined with the Star Trek global brand, will probably make this a bigger film than Avatar.

Happy

Interesting

The Borg could be interesting. Some say the Borg were down to Kirk anyway due to Star Trek the Motion picture, remember ;)

Older Kirk has to go out in style this time too before they put the timeline back, oh and yes they does need doing

Why no Shatner?

Because... we... can't... afford... the... extra... footage... waiting... for... him... to... finish... a... sentence.

Boffin

How can this be so?

Surely, following the James T Shatner three-syllables rule it should be:

Because we... can't afford... the extra... footagewait... ing for him... to finish... a sentence.

Boffin

@ everyone who's whining about plot holes and alternate timelines

I will say this only once. Here is an abridged version of events, with times courtesy of a quick search of various Nerdopedias:

1. The Borg didn't find the Federation until "I, Borg" in TNG in sci-fi year 2368

2. ST universe had a "reboot" whereupon Kirk's life changed, circa nerd-year 2233

3. There is a gap of 135 years between the "reboot" and the first encounter with the Borg

4. The original encounter was ahead of schedule due to Q's interference

5. Nothing caused by the "reboot" Federation would allow them to expand so quickly

6. Therefore, the encounter still would not happen for hundreds of years

7. The only exception being a deus ex machina type interference from a Q-like power

As is now hopefully abundantly clear to you, even an alternate "reboot" timeline cannot reconcile the Borg's known movements (indepdenent of any developmental track of Mr. J. T. Kirk and the Federation of the time) with an encounter as early in Trek history as this. Pathetic time-travel of omnipotent-powers tricks will simply earn as much hatred as they did the first time round.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums