Feeds

back to article Plastic Logic shows executive e-book reader

Watch in HD at Reg Hardware's YouTube channel Can't see the video? Download FlashPlayer from Adobe.com Plastic Logic Que

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
WTF?

An executive e-book reader?

Does that take a book and reduce it to a two-paragraph summary which carefully ignores the tricky issues?

Gold badge
Thumb Down

Still very pricey

And what the hell is that *huge* border all these things seem to need?

If the "plastic" of plastic logic allows things to be made *so* much more cheaply, why is it not cheap?

Thumb Down

Slow?

This thing looks awfully slow. And the fact that the e-ink display has no way to show any animation or visual feedback but just changes the display one or two seconds after you touched the screen somewhere makes me think that it is prone to drive the user up the wall. E-ink is just wrong for complex user interfaces and especially for touchscreens. Having to wait a few seconds to see what happens (if anything) after you did something is not the way to make touchscreens work in a useful way.

Otherwise a good idea, of course.

Gold badge

Oh how I want one...

...maybe in 2015 when they are cheap enough for Sysadmins to buy. Little things first, like fixing up the house and dealing with the ramping-up inflation. (Which goes hand in hand with the not-ramping-up salary.)

:(

Bronze badge
FAIL

Que?

Woah thats fucking expensive.

I'd rather buy a laptop for that money. Much better deal.

FAIL

Wow that's slow!

And this is their topline model!

The slowness is due a poky processor taking eons to layout the page (which is why the Sony PRS-600 is much faster than the 300). eInk isn't great for refreshes, but only takes around 500ms to reset and redraw the page. I can't see 'pro' 'executives' having fun as they wait a few seconds for each page to pop up.

Nice to see how the guy has his patter timed precisely to cover the sluggish performance.

Until I saw this video I was vaguely interested in the Que, but that performance is deadly.

Gold badge
Thumb Down

@Charles King

"The slowness is due a poky processor taking eons to layout the page (which is why the Sony PRS-600 is much faster than the 300). eInk isn't great for refreshes, but only takes around 500ms to reset and redraw the page. "

That's nothing. Plastic Logic's clearly not using the tech it's meant to have developed. Those plastic transistors are unlikely to get above 5Mhz (if they use magazine level resolution and the materials properties I've seen reported).

Summing up. Slow (to some people), expensive (to most) and with a huge border around the display.

It's not looking good.

This topic is closed for new posts.