Feeds

back to article Brit ISP knocked offline by Latvian DDOS

About 30,000 customers of the Cheshire-based ISP Vispa were forced offline for almost 12 hours today by a DDOS attack traced to the Baltic state of Latvia. Broadband service has now been restored, a spokesman said, but customers are unable to call customer service because the firm's phone system was also crippled by the attack …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
idi

Hmm

A similar thing happened at a well know server hosting provider at approx 1am this morning, wonder if related... Hmm

At first I thought it was the updates I had just applied that killed the server then realised the host network was dead too.

Anonymous Coward

Err.. what?

They have everything up - but how does a DDoS attack conveniently take out a phone system after everything else returns.

Something smells fishy here.. most probably just due to their own incompetence, knowing Vispa.

FAIL

titular statement

erm, ever heard of VoIP?

VoIP servers are a target for DDoS too, you know......

Pax
Megaphone

Vispa problems.....

Seems the company is a little more coy about the problem(s)

http://community.vispa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4808

Thumb Up

sveiki

sveiki,

misija pabeigts

p4r4do

Happy

Que?

@ sveiki,

> misija pabeigts

That's easy for you to say...

Bronze badge

DDOS er??

This posting seems to be taking credit for the attack, it translates as

"Hello, mission completed" in Latvian.

In Soviet Russia

DDOS launches YOU!!!

Bronze badge
Big Brother

@ Pax

That was an early posting, before they managed to get staff onsite and realise that it was a DDOS attack; if you bothered to check the forums you would have seen another posting explaining the outage as a DDOS attack that was posted a short while afterwards.

FAIL

blame the commies :)

I would suspect it was a failed upgrade, but who would we have to blame if not those no good former commies ...

Bronze badge
Megaphone

The answer for first AC posting

The staff were working remotely from home due to the bad weather; calls were being diverted via VOIP to the staff; when the system went down, the VOIP system couldn't work either.

Why the VOIP still isn't working, I do not know, do you?

I am guessing from the comment at the end, that you are the same tw@t who went posting around the net yesterday, that Vispa had gone bust.

No, I am not a Vispa employee, but I have used there service happily for a number of years; and have found their customer service far, FAR better than any major ISP I have had the misfortune to sign up with in the past.

Joke

Vispa - Vista

What's the difference?

This is what you get...

... when hiring stupid shitheads.

Hire some latvian admins and some DDOS attack won't be a problem.

Grenade

Bless

A post so full of naivety that it's almost endearing. Almost - the end result is actually pathetic.

Paris Hilton

@ Hckr

Even Latvian admins can be "shiteheads". The problem is not the country you come from....... A crap admin is a crap admin. Geographical location has nothing to do with it.

Paris because even she knows that you get what you pay for...... ISP's might take note :)

This topic is closed for new posts.