Feeds

back to article Tech vendors turn to Brussels as copyright levy talks fold

A group of consumer electronics giants have called time on efforts to bring some coordination to Europe's mosaic of national copyright levies and will target action from Brussels. The FT reports that Apple, HP, Sony and friends have been speaking to the organisations behind collection schemes in 22 European countries in an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Down

Wonder what that hidden agenda could be

With no consistent approach to copyright they can just do what they like.. charge as much as they like.... leaving the consumer with a collection of laws so complex copyright infringement is inevitable turning everyone into criminals and potentially open to court action.

Shame

So piracy is alright then

So if copyright infringement is inevitable and everything electronic is being levied and artists are being paid whether they actually earned the money or not then pirating songs and stuff must be legal since artists are being paid anyhow. Torrents, here I come.

Gold badge

Levies

Yeah, there's no levies here in the US (there was one on DAT tape, but that's a dead format), but if there were I'd pirate to my hearts content, and point out I'd already paid for it. They can't collect levies AND try to collect directly, that is double dipping.

Pirate

Levies ??

If I was paying mandatory levies on media then I would be pirating as much stuff as I could.

Just saying...

Silver badge
Pirate

re: levies

I have to agree with Henry - there is no greater threat to users purchasing content than having access to it over the internet and feeling that they have already paid for it via a tax.

This topic is closed for new posts.