back to article Google uncloaks the Nexus One

Google has surprised no one by unveiling the Google-branded and Google-sold Nexus One phone at a press event in Mountain View. Manufactured by Taiwanese manufacturer HTC, the phone will be sold through an online store operated by Google at www.google.com/phone. The phone can be purchased unlocked for $529 or in tandem with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

WTF?

Google's mystery cloak

> This post will be continuous updated as Google veils new information.

So the article will be getting shorter?

Happy

Google's mystery cloak

They'll also cloud your mind and pluck the memory of the article from it. Swiftly and silently, as if they were Amazon and your mind was a Kindle.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? Google knows. Mwah hah ha!

Coat

Blimey!

I hope they don't have problems with the Nexus 6 model...

Silver badge
Thumb Up

$529?

So that's £330. Or £450 once the 'real' price conversion is done.

Rather a lot for a phone, but it does look quite good. Will have to see what T-mobile do with it over here, if anything.

I'm assuming that it being 3G means it will work in Europe with, for example, my existing T-mobile contract SIM which has free data on it?

Steven R

PS: Sarah, please feel free to nix any further Nexus 6 jokes with prejudice - it's already getting extremely tired.

Headmaster

Terminology reminder

<quote> PS: Sarah, please feel free to nix any further Nexus 6 jokes with prejudice - it's already getting extremely tired. </quote>

Nix? I believe the official term is "Retire".

Unhappy

No AT&T 3G support

http://www.google.com/support/android/bin/answer.py?answer=166507

WTF?

3G GSM

Surprised there are differing 3G standards... are all the UK networks the same?

Hope HTC have improved their reliability, a friend went through 3 HTC smartphones before getting a 3GS.

standards

3G is a 'collection' of standards .. 3G simply means 3rd generation mobile network...

Thumb Down

wtf ?

voize enabled keyboard. like in 'ok keyboard, start typing' ....

and what is that trackball doing there. i thougnht this thing was touch ?

Linux

trackball is essential

When working outside the OS i.e with the bootloader Touch screen doesn't work so the trackball is essential for anyone wishing to mod there device

IR

title

It looks almost exactly like the Droid Eris, which is based on the HTC Hero.

330 quid with a trackerball

It'll cost more than 330 in the UK because you need to add VAT. 17.5% on 330 is 57.75. If it's available unlocked in the UK, 400 might be the price point. If you can buy from Google in the US, the postman will deliver a bill for the import duty and VAT.

I'd imagine the trackerball is there because you don't want your fingers all over the screen at the same time as you are reading. On an iPhone, when you finish reading what's on the screen, you have to disrupt your view by scrolling with your finger.

Work in the UK

Per the Google 'will this phone work with my SIM' link the Nexus will support three 3G/UMTS Bands - 1/4/8 (2100/AWS/900).

Given all UK 3G networks operate at 2100, the Nexus will indeed work on all UK 3G networks.

Looks very interesting. I'll probably use it to replace my iPhone 3G as long as Vodafone offer it on a 12 month contract in the not too distant future.

Unhappy

All the UK networks,

seem to have moved first to 18mth then to 2year contracts (no collusion there!) when you do the maths you are often better of pay up front and choosing a cheaper tariff.

Advertising

Google also announced on 5 January a plan to launch "pay to call" adverts that would appear on mobile phones.

First one that appears and my Nexus One becomes Nexus Zero very fast.

Thumb Down

Google

More Phoney than Phone.

That's the nice thing about standards,

there's so many to choose from.

"it's designed to tap the 3G frequencies used by T-Mobile USA. This means that it cannot be used with AT&T's 3G network. "

FFS, it's bad enough that Verizon customers can't bring their phones abroad, now AT&T wants to cut it's customers off from the next "world standard".

Stop

Google is at fault here not AT&T!

Google have chosen not to support the AT&T 3G frequencies, my AT&T 3G iPhone works great worldwide.......

Paris Hilton

Credit where credit due

All credit to google for stuff well presented in a rather neat manner.

I hope it will gp well for them.

Who knows?

Maybe the next Nokia will be the google?

Thumb Up

Stop moaning....

I've got the HTC hero and its pretty sweet. This has a better processor, looks a lot better and will keep you out of the douche "i've got an iPhone, I'm cool" category.

FAIL

it will still keep you

in the "I paid a stupid amount of money for a telephone" category though.

Unhappy

Errr.... yeah right...

> and will keep you out of the douche "i've got an iPhone, I'm cool" category.

Yeah... no it won't... There will just be a new category "I've got a google phone. I'm alternative!"

I still want one though :(

You got it

LOL - precisely. My Hero is working out at about £22 a month (2yrs/600m/Unltd txt/500MB) after thoroughly researching the best deals (sure someone will tell me they got it cheaper). With this setup you're more than likely going to end up on something closer to £35 a month (I'm imagining it's going to be cheaper than iPhone otherwise what's the point right?).

Any pointers on the tarriffs that will be offered yet?

Unhappy

Superphone schmooperphone

It's very nice and all that, but hardly defines a new category of device. You might just about argue that the iPhone did that (or you might not) but this one surely doesn't. Unless it's 'super' in the sense of "kills all known products from fruit-based competitors stone dead". Otherwise - enough already with the marketing hype.

To be fair to them...

...I haven't heard them say it was going to be "bestest fone 4eva lol@" and don't think they ever wanted to re-define phones.

Like they didn't redesign search engines, or email or docs but plenty of people use them and I think thats what they want. Something shiny and new but not so radical that it is a big risk.

Erm, just read it again and noticed...

...they themselves put it in "superphone" category, sorry!

Anonymous Coward

Definitions

It depends on what they mean by "superphone", if they mean superphone like we mean superman (no, leave the alien bit alone), then it does fit that definition, it's faster and more powerful than (I think) any other phone - 1Ghz baby.

If they mean superphone as it's being taken here, as a revolutionary device (superman has a 3rd arm?) then no, it's not a superphone.

Big Brother

Hmm...

I just realised that Google actually owns YouTube. Could Google pull a Microsoft and 'lock' Youtube so that only their phone, or Android OSes, can access it?

Highly unlikely, given the Apple usage, but then again Google may use it as a bargaining chip in case they want to go all Palm Pre and ask to use the iTunes package for mp3 transfers etc, only asking that they show Google ads with each video somehow to net them some profit, since as it is now, no ads are shown, only the video.

Food for thought though...

Sick of hearing the bbc report this as Googles first phone

Did they miss the G1 and G2 that are google phones on t-mob???

Silver badge

Played with the demo on their website...

So... this is what Google calls "innovation" now, is it? Jesus Horatio Fogharty Christ, talk about derivative. If Steve Jobs cracks another "Start your photocopiers!" gag in his next keynote, it certainly won't be at Microsoft's expense. At least Microsoft put in *some* effort into differentiating their products from their rivals', even if the results aren't always successful.

I don't think Google's phone is a serious threat to the iPhone in this incarnation mainly because it's not officially available outside the US. But it's a good first effort. Competition is good, but it'd be nice to see someone try something genuinely innovative and different, instead of simply ripping-off a rival product.

Verdict: "Meh / 10."

Silver badge

HTC release Android phone...

In other news...

Really, is this so big a deal? The G1 has Google branding on the back of an HTC handset running Android. I love my G1 though, it's been really reliable and as I use it to halfway run my business having the keyboard is something I'll never go back from!

The voice keyboard will be a chuckle though.. "Capital aitch eee el el owe space capital double you oh arr el dee altkey 1" - much quicker than typing ;-)

I like it

When I read "AMOLED" that got a reaction - the screen on my Cowon S9 is similar and looks amazing (S9 owners, watch Wall-E on it - wow!). 1Ghz sounds fun too, but there are things about Android that still get on my tits, so I'm not sure... No physical keyboard either - I hate onscreen keyboards.

It'd be a toss-up between this, the Droid, and the N900. Personally, I'm swayed toward the N900 - makes absolutely no fashion statement, has a proper keyboard, and runs full-fat Linux. Aw yeah.

That said, if the sound quality out of this is good enough, I wonder if it would be possible to finally stop carrying a phone *and* a media player...

Thumb Up

Please come out on more than one network...

O2 have got no Google Android handsets nor Orange and we need some smartphones sharpish. Windows Mobile is crap, Blackberry is a pay for and iPhones are just too damn expensive.

Unless someone wants to correct me?!

Anonymous Coward

Not on o2 - So?

Given how o2 have under advertised the Palm Pre compared to the iPhone it's no big deal if they don't get this.

Competition would be nice, but as the iPhone shown if you have the device in demand you can charge the same as the competition and still get away with it.

Price wise this will have to be good, I know it's tarriff dependant but if I have to fork out £200 on a phone on a £35 a month and up plan I'll get an iPhone, despite my general dislike of apple products (too style over substance, and too pricey).

Orange

Orange have the Hero

WTF?

I'm pretty sure my iPhone 3G worked fine in the UK

So I took my US AT&T iPhone 3G to the UK and it connected fine to the Orange and Vodafone 3G networks without any problems so I'm not sure why the new Google phone wouldn't be able to do the same as I've not heard of UK 3G phones not being able to connect to the AT&T 3G network.......

Seems odd that Google/HTC are going to produce a Verizon version of the phone but aren't willing to have their 3G one support AT&T unless it's just an excuse to limit wireless provider choice, way to shake up the industry Google.

Anonymous Coward

but...

Will you have to bid to keep your phone number or will the next bloke who comes along, who's willing to pay a bit more, be able to steal it out from under me? What the hell, it is google...

Uhh?

<Hope HTC have improved their reliability, a friend went through 3 HTC smartphones before getting a 3GS.>

Odd, I'm on my third HTC phone. Trouble is thats over the last 7 or 8 years and each one is still working perfectly. As our merkin lawyer friends insist 'your experience may vary' but mine is very positive with regards to HTC.

Anonymous Coward

Agreed

I've had 2 of the SPVs, the original and the E200, the original sadly did break, when I landed on it jumping out of a tree (it was on a belt clip, I rolled, splat) - however the E200 hardware still works, unfortunately it's still running Windows Mobile.

I just wish they'd start using better cameras. The quality of my bro's Nokia N97 camera destroys my HTC Magic.

Anonymous Coward

SPV M3100...

Or HTC Tytn II. Bag. Of. Shite. Build quality-wise, just terrible. Over a period of 18 months I had to have 2 replacement handsets. I admit I'm not the most careful individual, but none of my previous phones have been that poorly and cheaply made. OS-wise, could there be a mobile abomination worse than Orange doctored Windows Mobile? It needed rebooting at least twice a day. Industrial design-wise, the Tytn is a pig, end of. It was too big for little screen real estate. My girlfriend has a HTC Tattoo, which IMHO is a much better effort, but the OS feels like most Google apps - half baked. I’ll stick with my iPhone 3G and wait for Apple’s inevitable response.

HTCs I've had were invincible

I give my phones some shit, and the HTC have taken everything I could throw at them. I've lost count of the number of times I've dropped my Athena down stairs, off the attic ladder, kicked it, stood on it, sat one it, knelt on it - works perfectly. MDA III was the same. That's why I like 'em.

Unhappy

Google or apple?

Hmm

Googlephone or Applephone?

Id normally pick the lesser of two evils but with these two.......

Badgers

Georgetuk

Both Orange and T-Mobile offer the HTC Hero, which is an Android handset. Vodafone offer the HTC Magic, which is also an Android handset. Not sure about 02.

Anonymous Coward

Samsung Galaxy (i7500)

is available on O2 I believe.

All that hype for minimum impact...

Google launch a phone and most of the world yawn. (All except the Apple hating, Reg nerdcore)

Innovation = none.

Imitation = maximum.

I love how they self appoint themselves into the non-existent "Superphone" category.

If they can do that, then I nominate myself into the "worlds cleverest and bestest lover, king of the world" category.

Losers.

Ooooh look nerdcore........ it's a crappy HTC iphone copy with Google branding....... quick, purchase and worship it (But only because its not Apple and it's "alternative" and will make all the girls think you are edgy, subversive and cool).

Sorry, but I will wait a few more months to see what the REAL innovators will do, not make do with a Google branded, catch-up phone.

And the award for missing the point goes to...

YOU!

Law
WTF?

I can't imagine...

... you are being serious, but you've been keeping up this joke since june last year - I think all but one of the comments you've ever posted has been grilling people for being anything but positive about Apple products. If they arn't, you immediately call them losers or nerdcore (wtf?). It's fanboys like you that make me want to smash my macbook pro to pieces! ;)

If you remove the good ol' fanboy goggles for just a moment, you will see that the Nexus One looks like a decent phone, and it's not the "look" of the phone that will seperate itself from the iPhone, it's the software and services.

I'll be waiting until March before making a decision on whether to keep my HTC Hero, post 2.1 update (allegedly Q1), or get a Nexus One.... but the main reason for waiting for march will be to see if Apple implement background services and widgets. They also need to do something that the iphone (and all android phones) have failed to do so far, which is rival my old N95 for camera picture quality. This means we need some decent optics, a half useful flash, a lens cover (which opens camera app when opened) and for the camera app to load in less than 3 seconds.

Also, not everything anybody does with mobiles after the iPhone is to copy Apple, companies will often look at what works in other products and try to build that into their product too... the same way Apple take ideas and things that work from other non-apple products too... it's not a one way street. This isn't an anti-apple rant, I'm quite happy with all the apple products I've bought, as well as other manufacturers - I'm just trying to make you think... so, consider this: visual voice mail wasn't an apple idea, neither was colour screens, touch screens, silent mode(profiles), ring tones, mp3 playback, 3rd party software, background apps, spell checker, airplane mode, wifi, built in camera, and the million other things the iphone took from many years of progression in the mobile industry. They swept in, took all the bits they liked, bundled it together with a nice UI and called it progress. Which it was. And now, Google have asked HTC to build them hardware, that they can bundle their own software on to, with features you won't find on an iPhone... and this is also progress. I'm sure now Apple (and others) will attempt to up their game a little more.

Silver badge

Be still my beating heart...

Oh my. It's a phone. That can do stuff completely unrelated to making a call. Oh the excitement. For silly money. With a shiny case.

Yawn.

Coat

RE: Be still my beating heart...

children will dance about outside your window singing "sourpuss" and "grumpy face"

:D

Flame

still...

I assume that the phoen will stay in beta indefinitely?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums