back to article BBC Trust kicks out IP Vision appeal

The BBC Trust has thrown out a fair trading appeal brought by set top maker IP Vision. The firm had planned to offer syndication of the Beeb's on-demand content via its own bespoke version of the extremely popular iPlayer platform. The Corporation's governing body said yesterday it had rejected "the main substantive points" …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Vicious Circle

bespoke versions of the service would only be created for platforms with over 500,000 users. At the same time it introduced a ban on any third parties building their own iPlayer products.

This is why devices such as Panasonics PVRs with Vierra cast are not iPlayer compatible.. and hence why they are not selling... people want iplayer on these devices and they are waiting...

2. pootle

branded player, but what about the protocols?

I have no problem with branded players requiring certification, but this should not mean that the protocols are 'private' or the content encrypted in such a way that only certified products can access the service.

Digital technology is making a disaster area out of media services.

My blu ray player won't play SACD for example, so in the future I'm likely to need:

blue ray player (plays DVD's as well, possibly CD's)

SACD player (prolly CD's as well but not blue ray)

Digital satellite PVR

Digital terrestrial PVR

some other box to access iPlayer

This is a ridiculous mess, when at the moment I can, in 1 PC, have access to:

CD,

DVD,

Blu-ray (although a slightly messy process to date)

digital satellite (including HD)

digital terrestrial (hopefully with HD when some T2 cards become available

iPlayer (albeit at pretty rubbish resolution / quality even in H(ahaha)D

youtube and any other internet based services I care to use.

All unencumbered by DRM and based on linux.

3. Linbox

PS3 iPlayer = The. Best. Thing. Ever.

()

()

()

The post is required, and must contain letters.

()

()

()

4. davenewman
    FAIL

BBC wants to prevent educational use of its programmes

The iPlayer standards, and proposals for set-top boxes all assume that the channel can control how long you have to view the programmes - typically two weeks.

But for use in any school or university class, you need to hang on to the programmes for at least a year - often 3 years. That is why the Copyright Licensing Agency has a licence to record any broadcast TV programme, and play it back to classes forever.

These proposals will technically prevent any school or university making use of that licence for programmes delivered over the Internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

RE: BBC wants to prevent educational use of its programmes

"These proposals will technically prevent any school or university making use of that licence for programmes delivered over the Internet."

a) No it wouldn't, since there would still be dozens of other ways to get the programmes other than a Canvas box.

b) Your ERA licence doesn't cover programmes acquired from on-demand services anyway (and never has), so you're breaking the law by trying to obtain programmes from iPlayer et al in this way.

c) ERA are making their own licenced network PVR solution which has been public knowledge for at least a year for educational establishments anyway.

Paris for person claiming to represent educational establishments not knowing many facts....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WD Live

In theory WD Live Media Streamer could use the Canvas platform as has everything the box would need.

Oh wait the BBC Executive said know as the box was too cheap

6. The Original Steve
    Happy

Meh

I've given up with set top boxes.

XBox 360 attached to normal telly via HDMI. I can use the local DVD drive, play any video, audio or image streamed from my PC, watch freeview+ (works as a PVR), can stream HD movies from Zune market place, access to SkyPlayer and BBC iPlayer via Windows Media Centre and best of all I can upgrade parts as I wish. E.g. more storage = buy a bigger HD. Want FreeSAT or FreeviewHD? I change or add in a different tuner card on the PC.

Only thing is no Blu-Ray player... though MS may be adding one to the 360 in 2010 - although I may just buy a standalone player.

Windows Media Centre (So XP MCE, Vista HP or Windows 7) with a tuner card of your choice + XBox360 = access to nearly everything you could possibly need.

Oh - and of course it works around the house, so the services above work on two telly's at the moment with a 3rd very soon...! :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.