back to article Vodafone to start selling iPhone on 14 January

Vodafone will begin selling the iPhone on 14 January 2010 The 3G will cost you nothing, provided you sign up for a two-year, £35-a-month contract, or you can have it for £59 if you're only willing to pay £30 a month. The 16GB iPhone 3GS is free on a £45-a-month package, rising to £59 (£40 a month), £89 (£35 a month) and £149 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Moore

Apparently...

In Ireland Vodafone are already offering it to entice defectors back from O2- Available now.

2. MGJ
    FAIL

Will their data networks stand up?

O2's is down yet again today

3. D@v3
    Unhappy

network issues

I'm (relatively) happy with my 3G, but am becoming increasing annoyed by the 'quality' of O2's network. I'm on the final month of my contract and am looking for a better (for my needs /tastes) alternative to the iPhone, and assuming I can't find one will be happy to upgrade to the iPhone.V4. (or whatever that will be out in the summer)

In the unlikely event that (as a new release) it wont be tied to O2, does any one have comments on the quality of a better choice of network (esp. 3G infrastructure) for someone in the greater London area? (as the prices these days seem to differ only slightly)

4. NightFox
    Thumb Down

Take Heed, O2

Will this spur O2 into fixing their data network that has been down for many iPhone users across the UK for a second day now? And it seems to be exactly the same IP address problem that they suffered in the summer.

5. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

wow....

iPhones are really expensive - for a phone! And Apple believe their iPhones and iTouch are competitors to the DS and PSP do they? I can't see it happening at these prices.

Paris, cos she's cheap and only lets you touch her with a stylus.

6. GhilleDhu
    FAIL

Final Straw

Bu&&ers!!!! They had me until "Both Orange and O2 offer the iPhone on pay-as-you-go packages, which Vodafone is not doing"

Sod it, Hero it is then!

7. A. Lewis
    Headmaster

Bah

Down with this Americanised date-abbreviation malarky I say!

"14 January 2010": what kind of a date is that? Is it really that much harder to write "The 14th of January, 2010" and avoid this puzzling and jarring neglect of innocent prepositions?

I shall now return to my pedant corner and mutter to myself.

8. Mr Pedantio
    Unhappy

Beware!

Vodafone's "unlimited" mobile internet package currently has a "fair use" limit of a measly 500MB per month. Unless they have, perhaps coincidentally, increased this significantly in the past few weeks, most iPhone users are going to start falling foul of Vodafone's fair use policy within weeks of getting their new phones.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eyes.

They are watering. Wow, £779 for an 8GB iPhone. You have to admire Apple for making a device so wanted that people will pay that. El Reg needs a "hats off" to them icon

10. Freakyfeet
    WTF?

Confused

Is this the 3G or the 3GS ?

The article writer seems to flip between the two.

11. PedroLondon
    Thumb Down

price fix?

is it possible to get this cartel price fixing of this product investigated?

Surely having 4 networks carry this phone should have bought the price down, who is ordering the prioce fixing? apple or the networks?

12. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Confused

Both.

13. Stu Wilson
    Jobs Halo

...and the winner is!

... Tesco!

The only seller that seems to have undercut everyone else.

having said that, I'm surprised that no one has stipulated what it will cost for contracts on these networks without having to buy a new phone (since there will be lots of O2->A.F.E. * deserters.

No way I'm going to be lining AFE's pockets for a contract when I have my shiny iPhone already.

* ANYONE FUCKING ELSE

14. TeraTelnet
    Jobs Halo

RE: ...and the winner is!

@ Stu: I actually enquired about changing network in an Orange store last week, they seemed to think that all I needed to do was get my PAC code from O2 and that would be it - I could sign up to the £35/month plan without any trouble. That's the only plan I asked about but I would assume that the other plans would be equally available.

15. Stu Wilson
    Thumb Down

RE: RE: ...and the winner is!

yeah fantastic, same price I'm paying now... but now I've paid off my subsidy and can take my phone and number elsewhere without occurring any termination charges.

So where's the discounted rates at? since they don't need to supply me with a new phone?

16. Macka
    FAIL

2 year contract

Vodafone can sod off - there's no way I'm signing up to a contract that long. I want to upgrade my phone at reasonably regular intervals. 18 months is the longest I will accept, so Vodafone are off my radar when my iPhone contract comes up for renewal next month..

17. Jay 2
    Thumb Down

Wouldn't have been interested even if I could

I was waiting to see what the Voda offering was, but without a PAYG option then I'm not interested. Though I wonder if Apple will now just sell an 'unlocked' handset? Plan B would be whatever Android based handset HTC bring out next.

However it's all a bit academic for me now as the other week my boss asked me to consider having a crackberry full time (apparently the answer "no" was the wrong one), so have now got a Curve 8900.

18. Mark .

Nokia still number 1

The Register seem to think that Nokia have "but ceded its dominance of the smartphone market with the arrival of the iPhone" (N900 review).

Their share may have fallen, but they still are the number one, with 40% of the market. Who have they ceded their domiance too? Certainly not Apple, with just a few per cent of the market. Plenty of other companies have started to chip away at Nokia (e.g., RIM).

Yet another media article that bows down to Apple.

"It's been playing catch-up ever since, sticking rigidly to a Symbian OS that only seemed to grow older looking with each new device."

As opposed to all the areas that Apple played catch up, not doing things even my 5 year old non-smart phone could do? (Copy/paste, Java, 3G, video, MMS etc.)

I love my Nokia 5800. Beats an Iphone hands down, at a fraction of the price.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like