Feeds

back to article Scareware scammers exploit Brittany Murphy's death

Actress Brittany Murphy's sudden death, just like Michael Jackson's untimely demise before her, has quickly been exploited by scareware scammers. A spike in searches on Murphy's death has been taken as a theme for Black Hat SEO attacks, designed to push sites that have been hacked to redirect surfers to scareware portals into …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

Very sad news

She was a cracking character actress and was always a pleasure. She was super in 'Clueless' and always gave interesting and engaging performances. That her sadly early death should be trivialised by those with not enough life to fill their lives is a shame.

c3
WTF?

I wouldn't call Michael Jackson's death that surprising

There were some reports he might be sick and given the abuse his body has taken over the years you wouldn't really expect him to leave to be 70-80 years old, would you ? If he did, it would have been a small miracle in itself.

WTF?

Brittany who?

Type your comment here — plain text only, no HTML

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Looks like SCD...

Sudden Cardiac Death - from what I have seen of her pictures she was slim and hyper fit (in the health sense) - most likely type of person to suffer from that.

Its such a shame. I havent seen any of her work, or not that I know of, but someone so pretty and talented to be lost so young :(

Silver badge
Dead Vulture

Exploitation equals no morals

That the scum of the computer world should exploit the tragic death of a young woman is to be abhorred.

Little else can be so loathsome.

Anonymous Coward

Exloiting death...

I think you might find that TV companies, newspapers, websites and magazines have been exploiting celebrity deaths for years.

Its our bizarre interest in it that encourages these people to exploit it.

(I dont include myself in the word 'our' in the previous sentence as I have very little interest in the death of people that I have never met or heard of, as tragic as their death maybe).

Silver badge
Unhappy

<sob>

I only just saw her in "The Ramen Girl". Lovely gentle film (okay, slightly cringeworthy ending, but...) and was looking forward to seeing more from her. But. Well... <sob>

I guess I should be annoyed about her death being exploited like this, but I'm afraid I'm not. The internet isn't the same place it was a decade ago before Joe Sixpack could get in on the act. I guess fighting with ka9q and a modem helped keep lusers out. Now the floodgates are open and this sort of thing is only to be expected.

So instead of annoyance, I think I'll dig out the aforementioned film, watch it, and feel sad.

Anonymous Coward

Re: <sob>

You should feel that way. People who use this just to use the terms "Joe Sixpack" and "lusers" *are* sad. Sadder still that people like you insist on blaming the ignorant for the actiobs of criminals. Indiates a lack of understanding of anything outside of arguments about whether Kirk or Picard was better. Normal people, however, if they'd heard of it, looked at the Internet and decided not to waste time and money on something with neither entertainment nor professional value. Pretty savvy, I'd say.

Silver badge
Happy

Dear Anonymous Coward

Two little points - firstly "the ignorant" do have to shoulder some of the blame. Only the other day I overheard a guy complaining about how his bank was not willing to refund him after he gave ALL of his details to a scam set up to 'look like' his bank... this is after how many times of television and on the bank's own homepage stating basically "we will _never_ ask for your account information, we already have it". Criminals will keep on doing it as stupid people will keep on falling for it. Likewise this, if everybody saw through it and it affected nobody, it wouldn't be a story worth reporting.

Second point. Kirk or Picard. Can't stand either. Or the female 'bot (Janeway? something like that?) in the other sequel. I'm not one for space-set sci-fi, but if we must... I'd much rather watch Firefly, thank you.

Smile 'cos, hey, it's nearly Christmas.

This topic is closed for new posts.