Feeds

back to article The iPhone gets a Bing in its step

Microsoft has launched an iPhone version of its mobile Bing application, bringing endless images and voice navigation to Apple's baby in its continuing fight with Google. Mobile Bing is already available for Windows Phones and Blackberrys, as well as having a version well suited for mobile browsers, but the latest release brings …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Happy

What about my G1?

I know, dream on.

Jobs Halo

animosity is

'largely in the past these days.'

hmmm, not sure about that but good to see other searches available on the iphone.

but for images, i do recommend cooliris, very nice.

Welcome

bing maps

Until reading this article i hadn't even realised bing included maps. I've just given it a go, and it is really good. Seems to calculate a route quicker than google maps, and the maps is really clear. A bit of a concern was the time it takes to render the image of the map though. Seemed to take forever. A concequence of a more detailed map perhaps?

Anyway... it would certainly be nice to have an additional option for mapping on a phone, if you were using it to figure out where you were, didnt have a map, and for some reason found that the mapping app you already had wasnt working for reasons other than a lack of connectivity.

If i decide to upgrate to an iPhone on March 18th I think i'd probably welcome it, if nothing else, its another shiney app icon to fill up a home-screen.

Anonymous Coward

Fear not

You'll have no trouble cluttering up the home screen of an iPhone with tonnes of random stuff. Hell, you'll probably be moving some of the included apps to another screen to make space, even- and that's before you start adding things.

Thumb Down

Maps are very old

The Bing map showing where I live is about 6 years old. The one on Google is 2 years old. The resolution of the google map is very much higher than Bing. I can see features in the garden on Google and just a blur where the house is on Bing. That says it all really, just as well it was a free app.

Anonymous Coward

Says it all, really.

So you reckon that Microsoft went out one day in 2003 and mapped the whole world all at once?

Here's a clue - different map providers are constantly updating their maps in a piecemeal fashion. Someone else will find that the maps of their location are newer on Bing than on Google Maps.

I know that some people just hate Microsoft just because, but it's still scary to see people literally turn off their brains when it comes to "justifying" this hatred.

FAIL

The Bing app is rubbish

I have it on my BlackBerry, it asks for permissions when you install it to access location services, which I granted, then it promptly ignores my location if I search for something like "pizza". This is a schoolboy level of fail.

This topic is closed for new posts.