back to article OGC claims £196.7m ICT savings

The Office of Government Commerce has reported record savings from the collaborative procurement of ICT. A spokesperson told GC News that government departments saved £196.7m in ICT procurement, accounting for a significant proportion of £1.4bn in "value for money" savings across the public sector. The OGC's annual statement …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam Salisbury
    Thumb Up

Stunned!

Keep it up, that is all

1. Dale Richards
      Coat

Title

From the look of their logo, keeping it up isn't a problem!

2. hugo tyson
    WTF?

No logo?

Wot, no picture of their logo for us to snigger about?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

OGC

Who needs the logo, the letters themselves show they are what they're called.

1. Dale Richards
        Coat

Title

To be honest, I saw a car a while ago with a number plate ending in OGC. I laughed so hard I nearly crashed into the back of it!

I propose that OGC should be one of those combinations that never appear on reg marks, like BUM and COK.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

£196m down, £9804m to go.

The NHS IT project was roughly £2.4bn and is now up to about (roughly) £12.4Bn

I've not heard much on the costing status of the ID cards project. in the Reg. It's not clear if that's because they have kept to cost or because they are simply not reporting them.

Hats off to the people who managed this. It is funny how it seems to take an *awful* lot of effort and care to save a (comparatively) small amount of money but hardly any *effort* to flush a huge amount down the pan. Success has many parents etc etc.

The fact that mega IT projects with shaky costing estimates (and shakier business cases) mean even a small error gives a huge cash amout at the end. Limiting the size of any individual phase (along with a review to see if it does what was asked for) might limit the scale of some of the IT cockups we've seen.

Thumbs up for the result. A great pity for taxpayers that it is the exception not the rule.

4. Ian Ferguson
    Big Brother

This is a PR piece

The 'savings' quoted should be compared against the costs of setting up and running the procurement system.

And, of course, the cost of OGC's logo, although personally I think it's worth every penny.

5. Jonathan Richards 1

Arithmetic and English

> government departments saved £196.7m in ICT procurement, accounting for a significant

> proportion of £1.4bn in "value for money" savings across the public sector.

That's barely 1/7th of the VfM savings, which seems a bit thin for "significant proportion".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like