back to article Oracle plays hardball with Euro regulators

Oracle remains confident that the European Union will cave in and abandon objections to its proposed takeover of Sun Microsystems. The firm gave evidence in Brussels yesterday, including support from several customers who believe that MySQL is not a serious competitor to Oracle's core database products. Thomas Vinje, one of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Hmm..

In fairness you can't really blame Oracle for killing off Sun, they have done a lot to allay uncertainty during this take over, and Sun is bleeding to death in any case.

I do question Oracle's motives re MySQL, but frankly it is shocking that no comment has been made on the EU investigation by the UK government, when hundreds of UK jobs have been lost at Sun and thousands more will be lost if this deal does not go ahead.

Go

Since you seem to be very well informed on this matter

Can you please tell us why is Microsoft so keen to defend a GPL project ?

FAIL

Re: Oracle has no case

Dude, your post has no logic at all.

MySQL is no competitor to Oracle DB. That's exactly why they don't want to spin it off.

They both target different markets, meaning Oracle can get revenue from new sources without touching the old ones.

Why would they want to spin it off??

Anonymous Coward

MySQL has to be spun off

There's no other choice, the database market is dominated by Oracle and MySQL is a challenger that is snuffed out by this. So they have to spin it off. I'm with Register Fail man on this.

To me it appears the MAIN reason Oracle would buy Sun is to kill MySQL which has been nipping away at the low end, forcing it to keep its price down.

g e
Silver badge

Evidence?

So this is 'evidence' that Oracle has 'uncovered' that supports their case?

Like they'd produce any evidence to the contrary..

Then they say the EU's evidence is selective, presumably cos it DOESN'T support their case.

I guess they're confident that the backhander they paid some senator will sway the EU somehow - oh, hang on, didn't the EU just tell the USA to butt out ?

If Oracle are losing 100M/day over this (?) then that shows how badly they want to hold on to MySQL, so WHY do they want it THAT badly?

Because they reckon they can save that much money in the long run somehow, I guess... Doesn't sound like they have any altruistic plans up their sleeve for sure.

FAIL

Re: Evidence?

g e Posted Friday 11th December 2009 12:26 GMT --- So this is 'evidence' that Oracle has 'uncovered' that supports their case? Like they'd produce any evidence to the contrary.. Then they say the EU's evidence is selective, presumably cos it DOESN'T support their case.

Oracle is deluded to believing that there is freedom in Europe. In the United States, people are "innocent until proven guilty", so if there is sufficient evidence indicating that the "EU's evidence is selective" - they would have already won their case in a society with human rights.

In a fee society with human rights, people do not have to prove their innocence, that is only required in Communist, Fascist, Islamofascist, or petty dictatorships.

The world will on which side the EU stands.

g e --- Doesn't sound like they have any altruistic plans up their sleeve for sure.

Certainly not for the citizens of the governments which are: attacking them, causing them to loose money, causing lay-offs for the company they are trying to acquire, and causing the retirement funds of old people to evaporate... all on the basis of selective bad information.

Flame

Why Stop There?

According to all of the above reasoning, Microsoft should not be allowed to sell both server and desktop OS. Also, they should be forced to spin off desktop applications to non-profit charities selected by lottery and be trained by Microsoft in the bargain.

Thumb Down

Both sides

Vinje is also the chief spokesman and main lawyer for ECIS, the people who complained to the European Commission about Mirosoft's dominant behavior and abuse of the market. Oracle is also member of ECIS. It is curious to see him on the other side fighting against the Commission. Lawyers...

Anonymous Coward

Wot No fanbois

All the other reports on this topic have quickly filled up with posts from either Sun employees begging to be allowed to keep their jobs (can't say I blame them, they are getting shafted) or Oracle Fanbois saying that it isn't fair for the EU to stop a US company doing what ever it wants.

Where they all gone?

Heart

No deal

I hope the deal falls through and some white knight in the shape of some heroic CEO type, rides up to save us. Yes it would be a fairy tale but I love fairy tales :o) We have great products, a great culture, great innovation and lousy management. Clean out management and then adjust to the idea that we also need to make money and we could thrive. Sun + Oracle = Oracle, no one at Sun seems prepared to accept this.

IT Angle

Oracle already owns MySQL's transactional heart... and has not snuffed it out

Anonymous Coward Posted Friday 11th December 2009 12:18 GMT --- There's no other choice, the database market is dominated by Oracle and MySQL is a challenger that is snuffed out by this... To me it appears the MAIN reason Oracle would buy Sun is to kill MySQL

That is SOOOO myopic! The world does not revolve around MySQL - a transactionless database without existing Oracle technology. If Oracle wanted to kill MySQL, they could just kill InnoDB, that they own, to take away transactional capability, right??? (Then again, InnoDB hasn't already been forked to XtraDB???)

If MySQL is largely transactionless, without InnoDB from Oracle, then MySQL is is effectively not a competitor with Oracle, but a sibling in Oracle's database family.

If MySQL is a transactionless database, largely without InnoDB from Oracle, then Oracle already has MySQL by the genitals, and Oracle has demonstrated that they have not snuffed out MySQL.

This is really silly concerns over Oracle with MySQL, an concern divorced from reality...

Alien

poor monty

i for one welcome our new oracle overlords (where's the kang or brockman icon??) - the best of a bunch.

this really has nothing to do with oracle and mysql competing but monty the founder whose company was bought and then left he the acquirer. he lost his sense of identity and wants it back (on the cheap). he's even started his own fork mariadb. he's publicly admitted that it wont have the following of mysql it due to the following that mysql has (that's why sun paid 1 billion). monty wants to get it one the cheap.

Flame

Let the Union go through

but remember next you go selling out to the Yankies (yes MySql you to Sun) do howl if later you get burned. Postgres say us from this madness

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums