back to article Microsoft PR outlaws iPhone talk

A Microsoft manager created a bit of a fuss by advising a journalist not to mention the iPhone at a Microsoft event in Germany, betraying frayed nerves in the MS camp. The journalist was apparently guilty of expressing his opinion that no mobile phone was easier to use than an iPhone. We might disagree with that opinion*, but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Goat Jam
    Thumb Up

Now *THAT* is funny

WM7 had better be pants moisteningly good or MS may as well pack up and go home.

2. Law
    Terminator

it's a sad day

"one can imagine Microsoft is pretty bored of hearing comparisons to the iPhone by now"

Let's all be honest - most of us are bored with the constant iPhone comparisons now, even iPhone owners are bored with it. The main reason for this is because every media outlet, whether paid for by Apple or not, seem to squee at the mention of the iPhone, and make unnecessary comparisons.

Having said that, microsoft really shouldn't just be putting their fingers in their collective ears and shouting "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA"... they could learn a couple of things from the likes of the iPhone and newer android ui's (like htc's and moto's blur).... just as many manufacturers have *learnt things from microsoft.

* I can see the jokes based on that statement but I'm being sincere here, please no fanboy remarks for or against either of them!! :)

3. John Savard

Or use...

Someone at Microsoft, at least, is now taking Apple seriously as a competitor to Microsoft. That is news.

4. ThomH

Things to which Windows Mobile 6.5 is a good response

"What will Microsoft cobble together to make itself appear busy while trying to finish Windows Mobile 7?"

"What's the latest in that line of mobile OSs that has lost 28% of its market share in the last year?"

"Name any product that suggests that monopolies make companies lazy"

"What do you think you'd get if you took all the good bits of the iPhone, WebOS, Android and Maemo and sort of made them rubbish?"

"Which is least deserving: rabies, Tuesdays, BBC3 or Windows Mobile 6.5?"

5. dave hands

Alternatively

There is frustration in the lower ranks that every time MS come up with something "new", that it's that same old 3rd rate, poorly engineered crap that they are then told to go and sell as "Microsoft gets it right this time", when everyone knows this is almost certainly never going to happen.

They should probably stop trying to copy Apple - it's a fools game. Let Apple be Apple and go in another direction. Copying others says "I have nothing original to offer you so I thought I'd offer you a 3rd rate copy of someone else's idea".

6. lukewarmdog
    Pirate

Thou shalt not

Nicely backfired as it's now not possible to recount the tale or report on it without mentioning the iPhone. This is the kind of thing you expect from Google nowadays.

7. mrweekender
    Gates Horns

Who gives a crap...

...what any of these "PR's" from Microsoft say anymore. The people are voting with their cash after reading reviews and seeing the equipment in action and it appears the vote is iPhone and Android, not Windows Mobile.

8. Rob Moir

was it a *Microsoft* manager?

From what I heard it was actually a Samsung manager - it was certainly a Microsoft / Samsung event so its worth checking. Still I suppose verifying that would get in the way of the lulz. WM6.5 is a pretty bad response to Android and the iPhone though, whoever you work for it must be hard work defending WM6.5 against competition like that.

9. Rusk
    FAIL

Business suicide

I have never really used Apple products and not really a massive fan. I am however a techie and will only use the best tech I can find when I am looking to buy something. I was a WM phone user as the iPhone 2G and 3G were not up to scratch as a phone. They were great for anything else but with no MMS and the like made it fail as a phone.

As soon as 3.0 came out and the 3GS I switched over to the iPhone as it was the best phone out there and really does beat WM as an OS for a phone.

In a business sense this ignoring of your (and everyone else’s) main competition is suicide...how can you compete when you ignore competition.

10. Stian K
    Grenade

too iPhony

After switching from a HP iPaq 514 to HTC Touch Pro2 i miss the good old boring windows mobile interface. May be ugly but it was fast and effective.

The UI on the TP2 just feels so iPhony, how do people that use the real iPhone live with this crap?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Odd...

I've got a few friends who work for MS and they all have iPhones, noone at MS cares which phone you use.

I can't imagine it's the same at Apple...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think it depends how high up you go

My brother is getting quite senior in MSFT, and the further up he's gone, the more pressure he's had to eat the dogfood and use a WM phone. He will grudgingly use one now, but only since WM5. Before that he flat-out refused on the grounds the OS wasn't fit for purpose.

2. Stuart Macdonald

i know....

.. a "manager at MS" and he refuses to use an iphone over a WM device as he claims he needs to show loyalty to MS as he represents them and is a shareholder.

3. Bilgepipe
      Gates Horns

You can't imagine?

What does your imagination have to do with anything?

As for the topic at hand, Windows Mobile if effectively dead, MS should put it out of it's misery. They could start again, I suppose, but MS have proved so many times that they can't compete with anyone else, on a level playing field at least, they might as well not bother.

12. Andy 115
    Coat

I wonder...

...if it was a bit like the scene in Inglorious Basterds with someone banging the desk screaming " Nein, Nein, Nein!"

1. Law
      Pint

phew

I thought you mean't the table scene when somebody holds a gun to somebody elses dingleberries! :(

It's friday - CHEERS!!

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I am only here cause

The Iphone? not the kind of thing I'd pay for, or stick in the back pocket on a hiking trip.....

And MS anything, if I could insert it in my rectum and shoot the moon, that is about as good as MS and it's perpetual crapware gets.

So while generally clueless about all of this, I will admit to loving to put shit on Microsoft for all the decades of BAD operating systems and software and all the ha$$les they have caused me.....

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obviously

That Manager was a jerk with his eye on the CEO's job...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like