Feeds

back to article Never mind virtual desktops - what about the apps?

Conventional wisdom says that when planning an IT project, the things to get right before you start are less about ‘the thing’, and more about what the thing has to fit into, who's going to use it and who needs convincing of its value in the first place. Somewhere along the line ‘the thing’ gets some attention, but when it comes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Further into the Worm Hole ....... and into the Black for Comfort to Champion Freedoms.

The Perfect Virtualisation Application provides Content for CoInterDependent Hardwired Softwared Systems/Earthed Assets....... which is I suppose Alternative Intelligence, which is Spooky too.

Headmaster

Virtualisation started where?

Martin, I have troubles seeing the IBM 360/67 with its 256K core boxes the size of a bus as a "desktop", and I'm pretty sure the other platforms virtualisation was developed on were also considered "shared" rather that "personal" computers.

WTF?

hmmm...

I still don't understand what "application virtualisation" is. What kind of "bucket" are these apps being encapsulated in, if not a virtual machine? Are we just talking about simplifying the installation process?

And yes, Rippy, you're bang on - virtualisation started with IBM mainframes in the 60s.

So... App-V then?

Formerly Softgrid?

Need to look at application multiple tenancy

This whole virtualization thing misses the point. All our apps are "single tenant," meaning only one user or enterprise uses it. What's missing are multiple-tenant apps--a single instance of, say, DB2, but used by multiple parties who cannot see each other's data. The technology exists to do this and it would save a bundle. But very little software is written to keep user groups separate from each other with a solid wall between them for security and privacy reasons.

This topic is closed for new posts.