back to article Catholics slam PETA nude adopt-a-mutt poster

The Catholic League has fired a broadside against animal rights outfit PETA after the campaigning organisation decided to ask Playboy model and Dancing With The Stars contestant Joanna Krupa to whip off her kit in defence of homeless mutts: Joanna Krupa's PETA poster The image - which clearly demonstrates Krupa sports no fur …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Err...

Who'd o' thought that would cause any offence.

Anyway, I thought PETA were also anti-pet.

Silver badge
Linux

Obviously no fur...

... but how many birds did they have to pluck for those wings?

Penguin - it has feathers and can't fly either!

FAIL

Irony

"Those who support this organization sorely need a reality check."

but the catholic church doesn't?

Thumb Up

Peta

Never been a fan of Peta, but I applaud them for annoying the catholic church.

I will take off my leather shoes for a few minutes in deference to Peta's cause. And then put them back on for the sake of my colleagues.

Silver badge
Happy

Just that really

PETA are dicks, but the Catholic church is worse, and somewhere in the middle we get a picture of an almost naked woman.

Can't say I'm upset...

Anonymous Coward

Is that

What passes for an impartial interviewer in the states??

Talk about pushing your own agenda. Some people will go a long way to make sure they are offended on someone else's behalf by something that another person says or does.

Unhappy

I agree, he's not impartial

Here in the States, I'm pretty sure we don't have any news channels that offer straight-forward news, sans agenda, 24/7. Some are more up-front than others in having hours of "news" and hours of "editorial". This guy indicated he's on a call-in show, so he falls into the latter category, I think.

Unfortunate, but our news has to win over advertisers the same as any other show, and to do that, they've got to create a loyal following. Presenting plain, unadulterated information all the time just doesn't cut it.

Stop

Two sides of the same sick insane coin

Its really hard to tell which is the sicker organisation of these two. Both are insane, both have shown thet they will do anything they can to get there will. They both have insane and ridiculous world views. But at the end of the day the religious nuts have been around a lot longer and have made a lot more people suffer than PETA can over the next 1000 years. Outlaw PETA and exterminate Catholics and other religious mafias

FAIL

Actually i wow for your extermination Anonimous coward...

Because is exactly such a mind set that started the things that you say you hate so much about catholics: intolerance.

Obviously you a wuss or troll otherwise you would add at least your name.

STFU

After recent reports that their Irish branch protected dozens of paedos masquerading as priests, they should just STFU & get their own house in order.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6662086/Catholic-Church-in-Ireland-given-immunity-for-child-sexual-abuse-cover-up-report-says.html

Stu
FAIL

Religious scum

<Quote> They dont go to church over christmas any more so they dont really count </QUOTE>

Brilliant line! I thought people in church were meant to be great listeners- he should have been the first type of person I would expect to respect the opinions of others and not dismiss them because they dont go to church, they don't 'count' apparently.

I stopped watching the vid after he said that, suffice it to say, WOW, nice posters!

Calm down.

The guy's point was that some people who are not catholics -- catholics being people who pray in big churches and believe wine is blood -- call themselves catholics almost as though it is a nationality. It's not -- it's a way of life. If you don't live that way of life, how can you be a catholic?

His implication was that the "catholics" PETAburd mentioned probably fall into this category.

I'm sure...

... there's a pussy joke in there somewhere.

Rob
Coat

Gotta be said

I can't afford to buy Ms Krupa but I'd quite happily adopt her.

Mine's the fur one with burgers in the pockets (in your eye PETA)

Coat

Re: Gotta be said

Fur burgers? Never mind PETA's eye - I've just gone blind!

Coat

stupid title thingy

so they'd be fur burgers then

Gold badge
Coat

Hmmm.

I wonder how many geese they killed and plucked to make those wings?

Mine's the photoshopped mink coat.

Silver badge

It always depresses me...

...the way organisations like PETA and donkey sanctuaries get more support and media coverage that human-focused charities. They appear to have forgotten that humans are also animals (stemming from the same common ancestor that gave us chimps and gorillas etc - had to put that in to wind up the Catholics! :o) )

Winding who up?

It's not Catholics who have a problem with evolution

http://atheism.about.com/od/popejohnpaulii/a/evolution.htm

You may be thinking of one or more of the American organisations that has a record of embracing scientific thinking so readily (not!)

As to support for human focused charities - wholeheartedly agree. While there's a disadvantaged child here in the UK or anywhere for that matter; while cancer care is still necessary then PETA (and RSPCA etc) can go whistle (Suppose the dogs will come running)

But the fact that seems to have slipped by is that many of those charities operating in the developing countries have their origins in religious organisations. (Or should we not mention that bit?)

Sorry pal...

Last I knew, the catholic church was not a creationist entity and accepted the idea of evolution. You can't offend a catholic by saying humans are descended from monkeys, cos to a catholic that's all part of God's grand design.

Anonymous Coward

For some reason..

..I misread that as "donkey sandwiches"..

About animal charities

"organisations like PETA and donkey sanctuaries get more support and media coverage that human-focused charities"

I hear what you're saying, but I am pretty much fed up with charities. Very little of the money goes to the problems they allegedly are solving; most (if not all) goes to salary, staff, benefits, expenses, and advertisements. Remember, the primary function of a charity is to raise money. And if you say "No, thanks", they try to make you feel guilty. Well, I grew up Catholic; amateurs like the charity beggars can't make me feel guilty after all these years.

Now, having said that, I quit giving to human charities, unless they promise the spaying and neutering of politicians, or if they provide scholarships to the children of fallen soldiers, policemen, or firemen. (And even then, I want to see the financial reports.) The main reason is that, when I did help, I never got a thank you. All I got was "I need more! It's unfair!" Now, my wife and I foster dogs for a couple local shelters. Believe me, those dogs know how to say thank you. It is only through an iron will and constant focus that we haven't kept all of them. So I got no problem helping dogs over people. The more I see of people, the more I like dogs.

Silver badge

roflmao

Obviously this is just provocative marketing in order to raise a few hackles and increase publicity.

Still it caused offense to the catholic church, so it's not all bad.

As for a pussy joke, there are no pussies only dogs in that image and being a pussy lover I am a bit peeved about it.

Silver badge

Who to fear most...

...the pope ot the USDA?

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/12/peta-classified-terrorist-threat.php

Try a different symbol

If using religious symbols like this is OK, why don't they use the crescent moon and star symbol of Islam? Crescent moon pointing down would look good on the boobs, and the star would do the rest of the job...

Can you imagine the reaction though!

The model would not be safe for the rest of her life (which would probably slightly impinge on her career and social life) and PETA's offices would be fire-bombed.

The Christian symbol and the Catholic Church is an easy target.

Happy

Go PETA GO

Two wins here

1. Annoyed the Catholics

2. Got a good looking bird to get her kit off

Bronze badge

Feathers...

No fur, but I hope the wings used only faux feathers... but they probably were; it looks like they were made from wool, or, better yet, cotton, so probably no chickens were harmed.

Flame

Which of the two sides is sicker, Jacky?

I dunno, there's 3 sides, Bob. There's the deluded and mildly annoying PETA (deluded into thinking their appeals will convert anyone, just preaching to the choir; annoying if you're a fur-carrying celeb but otherwise unintrusive); there the vastly criminal catholic church (no point arguing or expounding); and there's this incredibly perverse CNN. Back to the studio for analysis by Dr. Dweeb.

Hurray, see mass killing and destruction and barbarism (they only became a global news byword in the 1991 gulf war), get the kids out to see --- ludicrously obviously photoshopped poster with all modesty preserved by a crucifix: must apologise and fake outrage for minutes (but show it anyway). What happened to reporting news? I understand it's a lead-in for a very partial "debate," but how can you not get sick of this patronising? If a viewer is honestly offended, they're offended no matter how much "look away now" you say so they despise you for showing it anyway.

Are they equally outraged at every naughty (underwear) campaign sporting the cliche angel/devil (making sure to show as much as they get away with)? We should be told. Shown, preferably.

Silver badge
Stop

Back in your pulpits, preachers.

I am fed up with some damn preacher telling ME what HE thinks I should see.

If his flock of sheep, as in spineless followers, want to follow what some Rome-based enterprise that's fine. But include me out. They already have their hands full keeping the preachers away from the little kids.

Given the problem with roaming, homeless pets PETA needs to use 'shock' tactics. I am upset with the positioning of the cross symbol. it is a little excessive, better that it was omitted.

Grow up.

Christian symbolism is associated with a Christian identity. It's rude to misappropriate or subvert someone's identity to your own ends -- at best it's putting words in people's mouths, at worst it's fraudulent misrepresentation. You wouldn't want PETA implying that they were endorsed by the GB Olympic team would you? They aren't, so they shouldn't. Why should they imply any divine mission if they're not endorsed by any organised religion? If they wanted to set up a "Church of Jesus Saviour of Puppies", that would be a different matter -- but they haven't, so they shouldn't be implying any religious whatjimidoobrit.

God's Rottweiler

I can see her puppies.

Happy

Atheist pwned by pretty girl

Well if the Catholic church had people like this taking their services I might even be tempted to go.

In fact...

"Well if the Catholic church had people like this taking their services I might even be tempted to go."

According to the article, they do. The model in question claims to be a devout Catholic, which means that she has to go eat a bit of Jesus at least once a year.

Unhappy

Not even a Catholic cross.

ISTR that one had a dead guy hanging from it.

Thumb Up

News Video

3 things I love about this video

1. How totally impartial the presenter is

2. The cheesy heavy metal playing in the background

3. How utterly mauled the PETA representative gets on the 95% execution rate issue

Pint

Disgraceful!

They should definitely take away that cross.

Silver badge
Boffin

What's the problem?

Lock them both in a room together and let them get on with it. Problem solved.

Gates Horns

Evil organisation fights another evil organisation...

Hypocrites vs hypocrites. FIGHT!

My money'd be on the fatties in the Catholic league. They've eaten meat so they won't be weak and listless \o/

Paris Hilton

I agree with the church!!

They should remove the cross. Better view that way.

FAIL

PETA - Ha!

As I understand it PETA routinely exterminate the vast majority of the animals handed to them. So there won't be much chance of adopting one.... Better to hand your money to an organisation that actually spends time caring for and rehoming animals.

i agree with Mark

the catholic church is too soft a target for anyone looking for cheap publicity.

and speaking as someone who actually loves animals, PETA is a fraud. but then again so are greenpeace and other organizations who hoodwink intellectually insecure people into supporting them just to appear to be smart and kewl.

Anonymous Coward

That poster is so photoshopped its stupid

but naked preety girls is always good.

FAIL

Practising catholic... my archangel!

"As a practicing Catholic" says naked model shown pressing herself against the symbol of Christ's sacrifice for the redemption of mankind....

She seems to have let her passion for go's lesser creatures (and better publicity?) get the better of her. Mind you she was hardly into dressing modestly to start with.

Its obviously all a photoshop stitchup - she'd catch her death dressed like that in most cathedrals.

Still PETA will be happy even if her parish preist isn't.

media seeking

PETA is just another sad organisation that till today couldn’t find better way of communicating their views. Always resort to shock tactics of media seeking stunts which make them unimportant fundamentalist idiots.

How many US citizens are left abandoned by their own system and by their own families?

But hey!!! For some (if not most), pets are more important than people or close relatives…

But from 1 to 10 for the picture I would give a 8 coz the crux was carefully positioned in front of her attributes... otherwise this picture with playboy bunny would be worth mark 10.

Thumb Down

Navis Stultifera.

Catholics and PETA: Two organisations who truly deserve each other.

After all, Nuns are what penguins turn into when they grow up!

Coat? the Popeskin one with the fur trimmings and the copy of the Malleus Maleficarum in the inside pocket.

Flame

Hey

Gimme my book back!

OST, keep it, I have the master copy ;-)

Anonymous Coward

@Mark Jan and all 'use cresent remarks'

It doesn't really fit the symbolism of angels really now does it.

Also to the catholic church who are offended by nudity, let not forget that I for one was born wearing levis and an iron maiden t shirt!!!

@AC 15:04 GMT

"@Mark Jan and all 'use cresent remarks'

It doesn't really fit the symbolism of angels really now does it."

Apparently you are under the mistaken impression that Islam doesn't have angels... like the ones that carried Mohommed to Jerusalem or whatever.

Anonymous Coward

Yeah but

don't they have rocket belts rather than wings? Or something.

Nev
Bronze badge
Stop

PETA...

Those wacky, anti-pet owning, terrorist-supporting, mass-killers-of-animals are at it again.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums