Feeds

back to article Apple's App Store police relent on hardware images

Apple's App Store police have again exhibited a brush with common sense, and allowed another iPhone app to display previously forbidden images of Cupertino hardware. An update of the iPhone version of Mactracker (App Store link), a free compendium of stats on each and every Apple product since the dawn of the Macintosh 128k, now …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Sly
Coat

Common sense?

Apple? That won't last long.

Mine's the one with the cynic's handbook in the pocket

Makes me glad

I bought my new android-based T Mobile Pulse

Awaiting potage...

FAIL

Soup?

Why are you waiting for thick soup? Oh - you meant *portage*. You'll be waiting for a while I think.

Can someone please explain to me

The situation whereby I would need the size, dimensions and processing power of every Apple computer ever built to be available in the palm of my hand?

Apple Top Trumps?

Stop

Lemmethink why you'd need it?

Maybe in the same situation as you'd normally need Mactracker --- when faced with a decrepit machine of a relative and you need to know what memory fits in there? So now it's in your handheld iphone instead of you having to wander to your home and phone up with the details found? Because said computers don't live in multimachine homes.

So yes, given that the prog exists since ages (with nice icons of the models) so presumeably easy to port to this new home --- it's the natural home for it. You lose 1 internet.

Thumb Up

Mac Engineers?

Freelance engineers? I used to work with PCs, and was forever having to look up motherboard pictures on the net to find out what make/model of board it was, or what memory or processor it would take.

"Back in the day" we didn't have internet on our phones, so if we had to do this at a customer's house, it was a quick phone call to someone at the office - even having the internet in the palm of your hand was a pipe-dream then, so having all the info you could ever want on Macs in the palm of your hand would be fantastic to anyone who has to diagnose and fix them.

FAIL

If only...

you had a phone capable of accessing the Interwebthingy, you could just gurgle for the information you wanted.

Acksherly, you wouldn't even need gurgle. If only a memory supplier had a nice easy lookup on their website, where you merely put in what machine it is, only to be faced with the exact choice of memory, one click from ordering.

What's that, Skippy?

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

@Alastair 7

"Can someone please explain to me the situation whereby I would need the size, dimensions and processing power of every Apple computer ever built to be available in the palm of my hand?"

Fanboi1: "The Apple Turdbox 3000, released at 4.37pm on the third of January 1987 was 31.256cm wide."

Fanboi2: "I can't believe the depth of your ignorance. Everyone in the universe knows that it was 31.257cm wide. You should be banned from ever owning another Apple product."

Fanboi1: (Checks iPhone app - notes that it was 31.245cm wide. Both kill themselves out of shame.)

Grenade

Actually...

...doing support for companies in pre-press and graphics design, where it is quite normal to have Apple boxes of up to 12 years of age in productive service (let me see a production Wintel PC older than 5 years...), MacTracker is a huge help to me because I can look up the specs of an ailing machine within seconds, rather than having to wallow around the 'web and hope I find any helpful data quickly.

Also quite useful for knowing which Linux distro I can use to refit those boxes...

Happy

Lofty

the app will help me work out what all the strange shaped boxes in my loft are. I have accidentally amassed a collection of fruit from '84 onwards. The fatmac 256 (expanded to 512 of course) actually has a working 5 megabyte hard-disk inside, must have cost $10000 extra when it was first bought..next to that..under the box of lego....we find a nesting group of LC2's.....

@Alastair7

On the basis of 2 slightly different screen shots you fully assessed what the program does.

There are actually 5 pages of spec for each individual version of each individual model of every product Apple has ever made.

It's actually a knowledge-base tool, not a dick-waving tool. Mactracker has a wealth of information that serves the mobile techy very well. I probably refer to it 2 or 3 times a week.

WTF?

I'm sure you do.

But why?

This topic is closed for new posts.