back to article eBay fined 1.7m euros in perfume kerfuffle

A Parisian court has fined eBay 1.7 million euros (roughly $2.6 million) for violating an injunction that bars users from buying and selling perfumes and cosmetics from French luxury goods maker LVMH. After a June 2008 court ruling, eBay users in France are banned from selling certain LVHM goods, including perfumes from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Shares?

Has eBay shares in LVMH?

If not it might be a good idea yes? :-)

I can't say I blame LVMH

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

LVMH doing us all a favour?

>I can't say I blame LVMH

That's right, nothing like artificially inflating the price of a product by using marketing to hype it, "third-world" labour to reduce manufacturing costs, and then charging through the nose to make it exclusive. The rich are easily parted with their money, as they say.

LVMH owns "Thomas Pink". Their shirts are very expensive, so I was rather surprised to find "Made in China" on the label.

Funny how it's acceptable for corporations to behave unethically towards people, but "unethical" conduct by people towards corporations will not be tolerated - that's a crime that deserves the harshest of punishments, particularly if the accused is lowly member of the public.

2. phisherofmen
    WTF?

Am I licencing my smells now?

Whilst I'd usually be first in line with those sticking the boot in to Ebay I really can't get my head around this.

If I'm a business buying direct from a manufacturer I'd expect to have to fall in with some of their distribution and sales rules as part of the cost of doing business.

If however I buy something and before opening it change my mind and decide to offer it for sale to someone else I am banned from doing so. WTF???

CD's, DVD's, Books, Mobile phones? What's next?

Will Boot sales soon be raided by the police on the grounds that people are selling things that are legitimately owned?

Hey are banknotes trademarked so NuLaborr can ask for them all to be returned?

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

anti-competitive?

Like forcing users to use paypal so you can double dip fees?

Pot meet kettle.

4. Bad Beaver
    Grenade

In France?

Yeah right. DId you try buying anything in terms of cosmetics on eBay lately from say a US seller while having the audacity to be yourself located in Europe (not France)? Haha. Tell em to go fuck themselves, the whole bunch.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For once I am with ebay

Not being allowed to sell brandnew goods is dodgy as you like.

6. Alan B
    Thumb Down

Well, we can expect...

...Ebay fees to increase now to cover the cost of the fine

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So now anyone can order listing to be removed?

Does that mean any electronics and parts manufacturers can order ebay to remove listings from ebay if they think items are "fake" or non licensed (in france)? And how can they tell what is fake and what isn't?

Sorry you are selling that too cheap boom!?

8. ShaggyDoggy

Huh ?

Who do these people think they are ?

I buy the product, it's mine, not there's anymore, they took the money instead.

But they seek to prevent me from selling it (unopened as new etc) for some spurious reason.

They took the money, now they want control over MY property.

Fuck off.

9. Buzzby

Levi's Too

Levi's used this same method to stop supermarkets selling their product here cheap. They used the competition rules to block grey imports from abroad. I wont buy them!

You want to force up prices, fine, I wont buy your product ever.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like