back to article Dodgy wheel thwarts Mars rover rescue

NASA's attempts to rescue its stuck rover Spirit from a Martian sand trap has hit another snag in the form of a dawdling wheel. Spirit's right-rear wheel stalled during the agency's third attempt to extract the aging rover from a sandy feature called "Troy" where it has been caught since April. The space agency was also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Can't think of a title

Now Sir, when I tap the dashboard, I want you to stop as quickly as possible....

Reverse around the corner...

Turn the vehicle around in the street...

Wonder if the guy controlling the Spirit has an SUV? Hmmmm... They should let British driving instructors have a crack at it, they'd get it out of there, no problem.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simples..

Can't amanfrommars bump start it for them?

3. David Barrett

HMMMMM

Go Go Gadget heli-blades.

PS. WTF happened to the comments? why are the thumbs up and down all nice and the reply and report buttons look like they were made in paint?

1. Martin Lyne

Icons

They should be on the left under the name in a column. Mate.

4. Steve the Cynic
    Go

@Simples...

amanfrommars can't fix it because he is *from* Mars, so he isn't there anymore.

Duh.

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Stop

Poor little guy

Bogged on Mars and no AA within 78,341,212 Km (or 93,787,622 Martian baseball fields)

6. pc
    Coat

When did Nasa..

Start using shopping trolley chassis?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

poor thing

It's exceeded its original mission by a long way, let it die in peace.

Re : comment icons

It makes the pages a little too busy. Perhaps something a little more subtle? Also, stop dumping me at a thank you page every time I vote. Clicking the back button is getting tiresome.

8. awomanfromVenus

I Can't help either

'Nuff said

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Why bother?

Some Martian chavs will be along soon. Take a shufty around, smash the driver side window and be off joy-riding around Olympus Mons, before leaving it burned-out in a nearby crater!

10. OffBeatMammal
    Alien

Bwe A Martian

at least before the next mission get's there you can help NASA out by mapping some of the big craters at http://BeAMartian.jpl.nasa.gov :)

11. Andy 70

well,

why not send another one to dig that one out? could sneak it in the pod for that mars plane thing.

12. Tim
    Boffin

Is anybody else very impressed

That 'we' can locate a moving object, without looking at it, to within 3mm on ANOTHER PLANET?

Good luck getting her unstuck. Maybe next time NASA could send little Asimos up there so they can bounce up and down on the rear bumper to help get traction.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like