back to article Fanbois Apple buyers howl over crocked iMacs

Apple customers are howling over a pair of recurring flaws in the company's new iMac desktops. Some buyers say machines are arriving on doorsteps with a conspicuous crack in the lower left-hand corner of Apple's built-in display, while others howl that their freshly-shipped systems won't even turn on. Each flaw has spawned …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tony 9
    Badgers

Fickle...

I love the fact that someone can be a loyal customer for ages then be a 'customer lost' when one thing doesn't quite work out...

1. dagrichards
      Paris Hilton

As a fanboi I am offended

Or offensive?

I am much concurring here, having been a 'user' since 1995. I guess the trick is you have to have had your eyes open. I understand that Cupertino can make mistakes, so when confronted by fail it does not disturb my world view.

Mac's are nice systems.

OS X is a nice Unix - we even get Photoshop again without having to run IRIX

Relax, everybody has a problem form time to time, despite what the Cupertino propaganda machine may say.

Paris - because she's hot. Being a fanboi I always go for proper form, sometimes function follows

1. George 24

OSX is Unix

Of course OSX is as nice as Unix, because it is Unix....

2. Dazed and Confused

Re: Fickle

I imagine that they feel that they have paid through the nose for the last 15 years to buy a product that is just perfect and they've just had their rose tinted glasses broken.

For many people, paying more for a quality, reliable product which you don't have to worry about is a sound move. For many it is even the best economic decision. But it only works so long as the products are perfect, so long as they really do not ever need to worry about them. The moment they are bust then there is no difference between a mega buck uber Apple and a 5buck back street windows box, if it's bust it's bust.

3. Rob McDougall
      Jobs Halo

FUSS

Perhaps the customer in question simply wanted to kick up as much a fuss as possible, then sit by his phone waiting for Steve to ring...?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

If you want to be taken seriously

how about you stop using the word 'fanbois'? Say 'fanboys' if you feel the need to try to be funny (and fail) but at least stop using made up words.

It's not a word.

If you use it, that makes you a moron.

1. Doug Glass
      Go

I Actually Prefer ....

...the word ApplFAN. It implies a certain fruitiness, has a reference to an Application (App) and points to a certain part of the human body's lower posterior...FANny.

But you're right. The constant use of non-words always implies a lack of maturity if not education. Which certainly covers Apple Fanatics if not the parents who actually make the money to buy the toys.

1. No, I will not fix your computer
        Happy

Fanny...

Means something different in the UK to the US, although real men covet others but wouldn't want one themselves, they do tend to be quite expensive, only good for certain jobs.... maybe it's more accurate?

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@AC re: if you want to be taken seriously

> how about you stop using the word 'fanbois'? Say 'fanboys' if you feel the need to try to be funny (and fail) but at least stop using made up words.

> It's not a word.

> If you use it, that makes you a moron.

'tard? How about 'tard? Is that better than ``fanboi''? personally i take offense at ``moron''. for info, most words were made up at one or other point in their life, and also other words have their meanings changed. what ever happened to l33t-speak? did that offend you too? how about ``lol'', didn't that make you laugh out loud? Do you get yr nikkers in a twst abt uther perposefull missppeelllings made four saik ov youmor? Misplaced apostrophe' drive up yr' blood pressure too? Fer christsake lightenup! Pedant! That's also a word!

3. Frank Thomas
    WTF?

the differance?

"though some indicate the display is at fault, not the machine itself"

I fail to see how the machine is not at fault, when it's single largest component (aside from chasis) is broken. not to mention that booting or not, a laptop is entirely useless without screen.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Got mine today, thought it was DOA too...

I picked up my 27" Core i7 iMac today from UPS and when I got it all unpacked it wouldn't turn on either. Having read this story earlier on MacRumors, I was gutted as I assumed mine was DOA. However, after some investigation it seems that my problem was down to a slightly funny power button. A light press until it clicks doesn't seem to do it, I have to press it a little firmer but it now works like a champ!

1. Stacy

@AC: Got Mine Tofay

So the power button on your really expensive machine is broken so that you have to press it in just the right way to get it to work and you give that a thumbs up? Wow... I wouldn't even accept that on a netbook, let a lone a top of the line machine...

5. Jonathan Mills
    Thumb Down

at least they've got theirs...

... mine's been ordered since the 9th (when i changed my order to a i7 from a i5) and still no sign of it shipping. apple are claiming "mid-december", they're shafting resellers good and proper in then land of oz.

6. blackworx
    FAIL

Fanbois, take aim, shoot me, the one with the flag!

What is it with people over-reacting these days? This just makes me think of that foam-mouthed kid after 17 hours of Call of Duty whatever-it-is.

7. Sly
    FAIL

Quality Control?

Apple doesn't need quality control... their fans will pay for any ol' crap coming out the doors.

I'll take a beige box any day of the week over some glitz because I can ...

1. Fix it myself without special tools

2. choose the parts I want to fix it with and not something on a special authorized list

3. pay less for #2 because I hate paying for overpriced #2 (there's a pun in there somewhere)

4. usually get satisfaction sooner than letting some corporate tech fix it.

Linux, windows, mac, BeOS, OS/2, DOS, ... who cares what OS it runs, the hardware is what runs it and if the hardware is overpriced and unable to be fixed with just a screwdriver or two that I can find at any old hardware store, then it's just not worth it.*

so if you're a mac head, get a mac pro and forget about the all-in-one iMac-in-trash. Even though it's not a "beige box", it's still a box and can be fixed with a screwdriver or two.

*mobile devices are exempt from this rule.

1. Jeremy Chappell
      Flame

Not DOA

There is no way I'm fixing a computer that's DOA - no matter what colour it is. For a lot of buyers an "all in one" is a great way to go. Seriously, you want some horrible box cluttering up your home?!

Mac Pros are all very nice, but currently the iMac is far better value in the Apple range (and actually not bad amongst all computers). The Mac Pro looks really expensive at present, compare a single processor Mac Pro with 30" Apple display with the iMac Core i7 - that Mac Pro doesn't look like good value does it (sure it has a Xeon, bigger screen and slots - but wowsers it's expensive)?

I imagine Apple will release a new Mac Pro (and displays) early next year that will address this pricing discrepancy.

On the OS front, I think that's at least as important as the hardware (maybe more so) as it dictates which applications you can run. (Probably BeOS, OS/2 and DOS will be a bit limiting - application wise)

2. That Awful Puppy
      Jobs Halo

What a lovely list you have

Re: 1, 2, 3, and 4

Some of us prefer screwing around with things other than computers. Like girls, who, unlike even the prettiest iMac, are soft and smell really nice.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Dunno!

If you were married to my missus, you'd spend all day in the den, playing with your PC!

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

@ That Awful Puppy

Strangely enough, Puppy, some of those soft, nice smelling things actually use computers too. Are you suggesting all the fangirls become lesbians or something?

Or are you just another stereotypical geek, for whom computer are things boys use?

3. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

lol

Considering you're posting on the register, and using the Jorbs Halo icon, I don't fancy your chances too much.

Your mum doesn't count.

3. Gabor Laszlo

*mobile devices are exempt from this rule.

They should'n be. My Moko Freerunner came with a screwdriver in the box.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Paris Hilton

..and by god, you need one

Ours came with a cool mini peli-case, too. In the end, people were squabbling over the case, and the crappy phone went in the recycling.

4. Tim Cook
      WTF?

"(Apple) fans will pay for any ol' crap coming out the doors."

Um - if that was true, their wouldn't be a story here, would there? Last time I looked, the headline wasn't "Satisfied Apple buyers don't mention crocked iMacs".

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just curious: do you use Windows?

Microsoft has switched to using users as beta testers as well, which is why Vista tanked. So, no news from the software side either..

1. No, I will not fix your computer

Vista didn't tank..

The beta test (Vista, Vista SP1) worked so well that the rollout will be very successful (Vista SP2, Vista SP3 aka Windows 7), I just put Windows 7 on a stock eee PC, more responsive than the cusom XP build.

8. SirTainleyBarking
    FAIL

A satisfied customer tells his friends

A pissed off one tells the whole street

1. Dapprman

Analogies

There is an old analogy.

"It takes a life time to create a reputation, but only seconds to destroy one"

9. clint11
    Black Helicopters

Smoking

Must be because the assembly workers are smoking and can not see what they are doing.

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
      Grenade

Um, Smoking

No, according to the new Double Secret Probationary Customer Warranty Rules just never released today or any other day, Apple Products are required to be imported on ships manned by sailors whose families have not seen smoke of any kind back at least three generations. Evidently somebody conveniently "forgot" about a World War, winter, lighting a candle or a barbecue.

Caveat FanBoy as we say in Cupertino.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The reason replacements are three weeks away

is that these machines are build-to-order specials. Nice to see that those who've found themselves with a problem are choosing to see exactly how Apple handles the situation before flying off the handle

11. Oninoshiko
    Pint

good high quality product

That is all

(lager, clearly what the cuperteno drinking fountans have in them...)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just goes to show...

whatever "brand" you prefer, it's all made in Chinese sweat shops now.

You have the same right to return faulty goods no matter who made them, so save yourself half the money and buy that crap from someone who isn't pretending it's special.

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Pink lady

I don't see what was wrong with good old fashioned pen and paper.

14. John Ridley 1

Yeesh,

What a bunch of whiners. Everyone ships bad product once in a while. Bunch of crybabies.

You find crybabies on every product review forum. It's just that in Apple land there seem to be more of them.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cade Metz

Bit of a twat.

1. James O'Brien
      FAIL

No no hes not a bit of a twat

He is a twat. But I'm sure he embraces it where as you just come across looking like a fool.

16. pj3090

I'm sure the cracks are elegant

And the computer fails to start in a sublime fashion

17. Rab Sssss
    Flame

He who bigs up their product

With "just works" deserves a raft of shit when it fucking well don't...But no doubt the rabid mac fans will come up with all sorts of reasons why apple should not get a face full of shit over this...norm for the course by teh looks of things.

18. Mr Ian
    Unhappy

Unfortunate, really

It's unfortunate that there's so many DOA's here and I think it's unfair to blame Apple for any of this. They appear to be trying their best to sort it out in the customer's best interest. However, this does bring to mind what I see as the biggest reason why I prefer to use PC hardware instead of Mac hardware. I enjoy having the ability to personally piece together the parts, and take them apart when there's a problem. Prepackaged and inflexible gear from Apple, Dell, HP, etc leave an uneasy feeling in my stomach.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep

I agree. Thats all.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@posts that say this is overreacting

@All those who post here and elsewhere those posts saying that this is overreacting, that it's a small thing and that it should not have been reported.

1) If the thread is ~200 pages long, it's clearly not a small thing.

2) Even if it was, this is what news are for. You don't only report when a WW starts or ends. If you don't want to read about "small things" (your definition may vary), don't, that's the most effective algorithm I am aware of.

Most funny is that the sort of people who post these probably posted a long, massive critic on the IE 6/7 bug (just an example, I hate Microsoft (and Apple, for that matter)).

20. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
    Jobs Horns

Yoohoo lads, it's me

Hahahaha, I would never pass this up.

iMacs are CRAP.

I have said this, and I will say it again.

iMacs are CRAP.

ALL the _disadvantages_ of a laptop and desktop rolled into one with NONE of the _advantages_ of either.

FFS, people, don't buy this shit. If you don't apple will be eventually forced to release cheaper 'proper' boxen.

I can't believe and wasn't aware that they are actually putting i7's in these POS's...

What a waste, FFS.

Such a waste... such a waste.

1. Michael Brown
      FAIL

You Sir, don't have a clue

An iMac gives you a nice big screen and all the power of a desktop without taking up a huge chunk of space either on or below your desk. I'd say those a pretty significant advantages. If you don't need a RAID array or slots for special purpose PCI Express cards (and these days with USB and Firewire peripherals most people don't) then the extra bulk of a desktop is pointless.

The only advantage a laptop has over an iMac is that it's portable. Otherwise it costs more for less power and a much smaller screen.

So, if you're not working on editing the next Pixar animation, and you don't need your computer to be portable, then an iMac is by far the best option (and the cheapest too).

21. rvt
    Happy

pick it up!

people should stop ordering new equipment on the net.

Just pick it up from the store, check it in the store carefully and only buy it when it's ok.

This is a normal procedure in the rest of the world.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

but you can't!

The 27" iMacs aren't available in store due to stock shortages - online order only, and even then you need to wait. The replacements people are getting are sometime in December.

22. ZenCoder

Don't be an early adopter ...

1) They haven't had time to fine tune the manufacturing process

2) They are rushing to get as many units out the door as possibly at the expense of proper quality control.

3) They have to replacements in stock so if there is a problem you can't just walk into an Apple Store and have them exchange it.

1. Jeremy Chappell

Oh how true...

Being an early adopter is never the most rational response. Of course, having seen a 27" iMac, you can understand irrational responses (it really is something to behold). It appears this issue is only on the Core i7 variant, others are fine (well have the normal number of DOAs - this happens with all products).

Of course, this problem is made even more annoying for those affected by the simple face that the Core i7 is a build to order option - and a popular one. You can't get it swapped from stock, and replacing machines is adding to already long(ish) lead times.

However, given all this nobody at Apple has denied the problem, and customers have been told exactly what kind of lead time to expect. I don't really see what more Apple can do. Clearly Apple will also want to understand why this fault is afflicting new systems and correct the problem (you can see that such an effort will do nothing to speed up the lead times).

So is the iMac Core i7 a nice machine? Yes. Should I buy one now? Well if you're really in need of it, sure... But personally I'd hold off until the new year, let Apple address this. This kind of issue happens in the computer industry all the time, the problem for Apple is they have "iconic" brands and the iMac is such an iconic brand that problems like this get noticed. If we were talking about some HP machine with some cryptic number for a name would this be as interesting? (Would El Reg use words like Fanbois or "howling" - no, they probably wouldn't even report it, because nobody would be interested. Given HP's quality control it would be hard to notice that any particular machine had a problem more than the normal shoddy junk they barf out anyway).

So the original commenter was right - being an early adopter of ANYTHING is a risk, sometimes it pays off and you get to enjoy a product before anyone else other times ... you get to talk to technical support (which is rather less fun).

23. John Square

All this fuss....

...surely "it's no big deal".

Having said that, I think that the real story will be Apple's response. After all, every company drops one every now and then: the measure of how good a company it is is the quality of the response. £50 of iTunes vouchers would probably be a good starting point.

24. Christian Berger

Problem very simple

The problem is simply that Apple doesn't make their own computers anymore. Now they only design them and send the design to cheap taiwaneese or chineese companies which put just as much care into production as they do with other products from other brands. Now since Apple products often are more challenging to produce, the rate of defects is higher.

1. Daniel 22
      Happy

Foxconn

I may be wrong, but I thought apple used Foxconn for some of their parts... And whilst Foxconn aren't the biggest of brands, they have been making some very good stuff recently..

In fact, even the cheapest of manufacturers have better standards than this fiasco...

Oh, and I'm a PC user, not a mac fanboi

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like