Feeds

back to article MIT boffins invent robot clam-grapnel

MIT boffins are pleased to annouce that they have at last perfected a long-sought-after technology - that of the robot clam. It seems that metal shellfish able to dig themselves into the seabed will make excellent anchors for somewhat larger droid submarines. Amos Winter and colleagues at MIT unveiled their mechanical bivalve …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge
Boffin

"lightweight"

Lightweight seems more of a drawback than feature for an underwater (or near-waterline) application?

Gold badge
Welcome

Quite disturbing to watch

But very effective.

Was anyone else put in mind of some scenes from the Aliens movies?

I salute our new seabed burrowing overlords.

Joke

Shame it wont scale down

It could be a best seller, I dont know if being "air powered" would be an additional feature.

Stop

mole-cruiser

Headline coming soon?

Newly qualified driver crashes internet and tunnel

After a loosing his way on trip from Clacton to Southend a mole-cruiser driver has accidentally turned the UK's main fibre-optic links to Europe into mush, and caused severe damage to the channel tunnel. Earlier suggestions of terrorist action were quickly denied after the teenager broke through the outer casing of the tunnel and asked for directions to "Saafend".

Boffin

Question on video

Is that a robot or a real live razor clam? The MIT website is unclear.

Coat

@ John Smith 19

Er.. shouldn't that be Underlords?

Alien

Mars?

Could be used in future trips to Mars to check out it's red soil. Powered by a pump to collect enough air in a tank for short periods of time ti should do quite well in digging down - better than a fixed length drill.

Alien 'cause there are little green men on Mars.

Surely that's a live razorclam in the video

But I still want to see a Playmobil reconstruction

But how do they pull the anchor up again?

The usual tradeoff is between 'sticking power' vs being able to actually remove the damn thing from the seabed, as everyone who ever snagged an anchor in a rock outcrop knows.

I'm very curious to know exactly how they get the damn thing out again if it digs in too far.

Having just read

the Erotica 09 article, I was confused by the headline and wondered "whatever next?"

This topic is closed for new posts.