eBay suffered an embarrassing failure on Saturday as no one was able to search on the site - not a good thing at the start of Christmas shopping season. The outage is made worse for the online tat bazaar because it is moving away from mom'n'pop traders to more professional sellers who expect better service, in exchange for their …
I can never find anything decent on ye olde tat-bazaar anyway...
They've got 33% more listings than this time a year ago, and they didn't have enough capacity to cope?!?!
In financial systems, we usually keep around 300% current capacity on tap, since volumes can (and have) tripled in a given day. Last year volumes doubled on several days running.
Whoever's managing eBay's capacity should be reading a pink-slip right about now.
Stupid is as stupid does
They are lying.
They always lie.
It's a facet of ebay we've all got used to.
The stupid thing is that everybody knows it's a lie,
yet ebay's blind arrogance assumes we all believe it.
Come on Google get your auction site online !!
In the mid 1990's there was still the argument about how little bandwidth is too little.
They found out when the data pipe is at 50% capacity that this was when people noticed a slow down of their internet session.
It seems that this EBAY techie manager never read the news.
- Just TWO climate committee MPs contradict IPCC: The two with SCIENCE degrees
- Apple winks at parents: C'mon, get your kid a tweaked Macbook Pro
- Feature Scotland's BIG question: Will independence cost me my broadband?
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- China in MONOPOLY PROBE into Microsoft: Do not pass GO, do not collect 200 yuan