AOL has revamped its logo and plans to launch the new look after its parent company Time Warner dumps the struggling web outfit early next month. AOL logos What starts with A, ends in L and has a big fat O in the middle? The firm, like an ageing divorcee whose husband ran off with a younger, leggier mistress, announced its …
Can I be the first to say
No more free floppies or frisbies?
I vote for the one in the upper right hand corner that looks like circling the drain. Seems appropriate.
I guess this is as good an excuse as any for the Web 2.0 icon.
That is all. Thank you.
If they're unveiling on Dec 10th, are these real?
A bit confused here as the article says they're unveiling on December 10th but then these are previews of presumably the new brand? If so, what they going to unveil in Dec?
As for the logos they seem fitting such as:
- Goldfish: AOL users seem to forget they're getting "had" and keep paying.
- The two fingers I'm guessing would be better as a single one referring to their contempt at their customer base (and it being an American company).
- The swirl maybe signifies the blackhole that is the money Time Warner put into this.
- The pink one looks like a kindof smokescreen or "hey look, pink elephants"
- Next is what happens to your mind when you try to cancel your AOL subscription.
- Finally a company who are forever going round in circles trying to confuse everyone.
As for Aol. - so they presumably spent a load of money trying to think what to do to the logo and then figured why don't we do something that no one else does....mostly for very good reason, unless it's stopped being short for America On Line in which case it makes even less sense.
Did wonder where I'd heard the name Wolff Olins before....ah, now it makes sense, anyone remember the London 2012 Olympics logo...!
Translation from marketingspeak
“Our new identity is uniquely dynamic." -- The same as it was before.
"Our business is focused on creating world-class experiences for consumers." -- World+dog has experienced dial-up at least once.
"AOL is centered on creative and talented people - employees, partners, and advertisers." -- Those who have a clue will get sacked after a week.
"We have a clear strategy that we are passionate about and we plan on standing behind the AOL brand as we take the company into the next decade.” -- We haven't got a clue about what we're doing.
“AOL is a 21st century media company," -- An unpaid intern tested the AOL client software on a netbook and it worked.
"We’re delighted to have worked so closely with the AOL leadership team to create something bold and exciting that sets AOL apart.” -- Thanks for the cheque!
Haven't AOL heard of 'Do not use the horns if you are not metal'?
"AOL said it would unveil its new brand on 10 December"
and the new name for the brand is ............ Aol
well done guys that was money well spent, several hundered grand to change two letters to lower case
I'm in the wrong business
- 'Kim Kardashian snaps naked selfies with a BLACKBERRY'. *Twitterati gasps*
- Review Apple iPhone 6: Looking good, slim. How about... oh, your battery died
- Crawling from the Wreckage THE DEATH OF ECONOMICS: Aircraft design vs flat-lining financial models
- +Comment EMC, HP blockbuster 'merger' shocker comes a cropper
- Moon landing was real and WE CAN PROVE IT, says Nvidia