The company that all but started the industry of selling gene tests to individuals to predict their likelihood of getting certain diseases has gone bust. deCODE genetics Inc, said it was entering Chapter 11 - bankruptcy protection - in order to sell all its assets. The company said it had explored "multiple restructuring …
selling the assets...
Might these assets include people's genetic assays?
"But what are you meant to do with the knowledge that you're slightly more likely than most to develop schizophrenia? It's enough to make anyone paranoid"
I used to be schizophrenic - now I'm in two minds about it.
Humans are not Mendelian pea plants
"There is not one clear genetic signifier for most serious diseases, as the industry appeared to promise."
This should also undermine those people who argue that one or two genes underlie criminal behavior, or genius, or artistry, or whatever fad of the day is being said to be genetic. Funny, but it turns out to be more complicated than the simplistic "criminal gene" or "genius gene" - surprise! Nature and biology are complex! Humans are not Mendelian pea plants - most traits are combinations of lots of genes (and nurture too!)
- Fee fie Firefox: Mozilla's lawyers probe Dell over browser install charge
- 20 Freescale staff on vanished Malaysia Airlines flight MH370
- Did Apple's iOS literally make you SICK? Try swallowing version 7.1
- Neil Young touts MP3 player that's no Piece of Crap
- Review Distro diaspora: Four flavours of Ubuntu unpacked