The company that all but started the industry of selling gene tests to individuals to predict their likelihood of getting certain diseases has gone bust. deCODE genetics Inc, said it was entering Chapter 11 - bankruptcy protection - in order to sell all its assets. The company said it had explored "multiple restructuring …
selling the assets...
Might these assets include people's genetic assays?
"But what are you meant to do with the knowledge that you're slightly more likely than most to develop schizophrenia? It's enough to make anyone paranoid"
I used to be schizophrenic - now I'm in two minds about it.
Humans are not Mendelian pea plants
"There is not one clear genetic signifier for most serious diseases, as the industry appeared to promise."
This should also undermine those people who argue that one or two genes underlie criminal behavior, or genius, or artistry, or whatever fad of the day is being said to be genetic. Funny, but it turns out to be more complicated than the simplistic "criminal gene" or "genius gene" - surprise! Nature and biology are complex! Humans are not Mendelian pea plants - most traits are combinations of lots of genes (and nurture too!)
- Just TWO climate committee MPs contradict IPCC: The two with SCIENCE degrees
- Apple winks at parents: C'mon, get your kid a tweaked Macbook Pro
- SOULLESS machine-intelligence ROBOT cars to hit Blighty in 2015
- China in MONOPOLY PROBE into Microsoft: Do not pass GO, do not collect 200 yuan
- BuzzGasm! Thirteen Astonishing True Facts You Never Knew About SCREWS