back to article Microsoft 'Dallas' muscles Google data crusade

Microsoft is hoping to out-Google Google by unlocking the world's information and slapping a GUI on the front end. Today, the company unveiled Dallas, which chief software architect Ray Ozzie said would deliver "data as a service." He described it as a "game changing" subsystem of Microsoft's Windows Azure computing and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Wondering, ... just wondering ...

This announcement seems close on the heels of Murdoch's regarding the mortality of google.

And I can't help but wonder if both themes (in three articles) are related to new nascent models to charge via subscriptions or otherwise to data.

In the metadata sense (google bing data search) leading to 'raw' data that is data that might be further analysed by users.

Such a model could charge fees for a metadata search and then offer suitable cloud based apps for presenting, analysing or processing the data just found and all, of course, for fees.

It makes wikipedia, google and 'nix systems look like free variants of potentially revenue generating stuff.

2. kissingthecarpet
    WTF?

Kenetic?

Who's Ken?

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Google Maps, anyone?

Didn't Microsoft just copy GoogleMars?

4. JasonM80

Leveraging Windows Azure's Scalability

Interesting technology. The attempt to harvest massive stores of data and organize it into something useful is a massive challenge for any organization. It looks like Microsoft's "Dallas" group has made some significant headway in that area.

Computational power is one of the major obstacles in data-harvesting, but it makes a great use case for the Windows Azure Platform and its scalability benefits.

Microsoft and Google are clearly in fierce competition within the data service and online computing spaces, and it is exciting to follow the moves.

(I am contracted by M80, working with Microsoft to promote Windows Azure)

5. ElReg!comments!Pierre

That is no Google Killer

Same as Murdoch bravado was just that, this tool will be no Google killer. It could be Wolfram Alpha killer though, if Alpha is still alive at that point. Can I find my aunt's blog by entering her name into Dallas? Nah, I didn't think so, either.

Oh, and btw Google sometimes outperforms some very specialized and mature "data unlocking" tools, so I really can't see how it could be killed by a system that is still mostly a flowchart on MS's higher management meeting room whiteboard. If there was a significant need for such a tool, the market might very well be locked down by the likes of Alpha and Google's own Squared before Dallas is even released.

6. Richard 102
    WTF?

Excuse me?

"Ozzie noted Dallas might help the government achieve its aim of openness and transparency"

Excuse me? That's the last thing the government wants! Well, not counting a civil service based on merit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like