Feeds

back to article €2m iPhone bounty stolen

The iPhone could be in short supply across Belgium this Christmas, because thieves have stolen some 4000 units of the smartphone worth an estimated €2m (£1.7m/$2.9m). After using a fire ladder to climb onto the roof of a logistics company’s “immense” warehouse in Willebroek, Belgium last weekend, the smart phone thieves then cut …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Happy

Waiting to see 4'000 Android phones being stolen ...

... won't happen

Stop

Maybe Apple will block our stolen handsets from UPGRADES now.

How exactly will they be rendered useless? they will still be connectible to ITunes, its not hard to create a false name account because they dont block stolen handsets connecting to Itunes do they? Else why have they not blocked 3 of my stolen handsets? Ill tell you why, because Apple make a fortune also from stolen handset replacements, that why they will not block handsets registered as stolen to ITunes. The only block I possibly know of is a IMEI number block for the phone. so they are effectively powerful Ipod Touch devices now. I dont think they thieves have thought this through though, they will be traced eventually, the qty is too much.

Someone correct me if Im wrong on this please, but in a way Im glad because now Apple are forced to think again about implementing some policy of totally blocking the handsets from updates based on IMEI number. If they did that, the market for stolen handsets and the need for others to steal them would be killed overnight.

Thumb Down

Handsets not useless...

someone will export them to Asia, where they will be hawked at huge prices and the seller vanish - leaving those that buy them with a non-functional device and no one to blame but themselves.

This topic is closed for new posts.