Feeds

back to article T-shirt firm hijacks good ship Pirate Bay

A Swedish firm has hijacked the Pirate Bay logo after discovering the torrent tracker had not registered its three-masted graphic with the appropriate authorities. Sandryds Handels AB has been all over Swedish Radio today, Torrentfreak reports, saying it plans to use a tweaked version of the Pirate Bay logo on a range of USB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Trademarks and copyrights

There may not be a trademark on it, but it's still copyrighted.

This would leave the wonderful stand-off of one party being the only body able to use it as a brand, yet not actually having the rights to use it at all, while TPB would be able to use it as artwork, but not to actually brand or advertise any service.

A very weird state of affairs....

FAIL

Hip, subversive logo?

Nope.

Go

Tat Bazaar Ahoy

If you type Pirate bay into Ebay you will find a multitude of mugs, t-shirts, lighters, bottle openers etc etc looks like several sellers are aready using it as a logo

Anonymous Coward

How Appropriate

How fitting that a company that had no problems mis-appropriating someone else's copyrighted material is now in fact having their material re-appropriated. Seems almost, appropriate.

@ Gall

All they have to do is draw their own version. Or "tweak" it, as the article puts it.

bbj

Awesome

Take that you pirates,

Surely they dont have a wooden leg to stand on, isnt everything supposed to be stolen in this utopian world of theirs?

Thumb Up

Hilarious

The biter bitten.

Pirate

"firm had registered the log" ...

... and then they walked the plank. Arrr.

Pirate

ahem...

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed TPB's rather flippant attitude of things like copyright?

Bronze badge

Copyright...

Still under copyright though... So if people take it and use it, they are pirating it... Oh... Where's the head scratching icon.

Silver badge
Boffin

are you kidding?

They'll just link to it... problem solved.

Pirate

Sweet!

I just pissed myself laughing at the thought of the Pirate Bay crying over someone breaching their copyright. Justice... Sweet Justice!

Is it only me

... who originally noticed that pirate bay was so named because the last 4 letters are ebay

Silver badge
Pirate

Avast

Has anyone made a t-shirt with tpb logo and the tag line - Privacy Pirate ?

Coz I'd like to buy one. ftw.

Tape

Wasn't the tape skull-and-crossbones on the Pirate Bay logo nicked from the Home Recording is Killing Music campaign?

Anonymous Coward

Kopimi

No one noticed the little Kopimi (Copy me) symbol around the pirate bay then, which basically says feel free to copy me. An interesting concept and a change from "Ill sue if you try and make any sort of copy of my whale song inspired crud"

I think they are more aiming to be able to keep using the logo, rather than have it seized by a multinational who tried to claim it as their own.

This topic is closed for new posts.