Feeds

back to article Mozilla hits FF button with second Firefox 3.6 beta

Mozilla has hastily released a second beta of Firefox 3.6 just over a week after pushing out the first test preview of its popular browser. The update contains over 190 bug fixes, many of which the open source outfit said would improve the browser for web developers, add-on coders and users. Of course the decision to bombard …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

linux version still doesn't like gmail

Everything else seems okay. Maybe I'll give this one a try on Mac OS.

Personas? I'm not seeing that.

FAIL

Fixes not features

Shouldn't they be fixing the security and bloat problems of previous Firefox releases, rather than piling more code on the jenga code tower?

FAIL

FireFox have lost me

I was a huge fan of Firefox. I've been using it since 1.0. Recently though I've had huge memory usage; rogue instances that don't die when I close them needing a Task Manager kill before I can open a new window; complete slow-down to the point where the entire app becomes unresponsive for about 30 seconds; and random crashes.

This isn't the FireFox I feel in love with that took me from IE's hands. I'm now running Chrome as of three days ago and it's fast and clean and feels lightweight.

If I could just bring over my essential Firefox plug-ins (DownThemAll and Greasemonkey) I'd be set.

Adblock Plus

I'm pleased to be able to say that the Adblock Plus plugin has been updated for beta2, especially since I've just sat through a presentation where they used Internet Explorer - I was amazed at all the adverts some people put up with while web browsing.

wow

1 week, 190 bugs, at least MS put their betas out with a semblance of functionality.

What's next week then, beta 3.

Unstable but not as bad as pre-1.0

It's really no worse than MS's CTP releases, in fact its RCs are closer to MS's betas.

fireman sam... maybe you should just remove all of your extensions and plugins and start from scratch, only installing what you need (and fixing or removing your GreaseMonkey scripts that might also be causing the problem). That sounds like saying windows sucks because you run it with Norton Antivirus, you know?

Crashes

I'm running FF 3.6 and it was crashing every time I did a search on Google. Turns out McAfee's Site Advisor was screwing things up, and it's one of the 3 or 4 remaining add-ons that were still supposed to work. Adblock +, Java quick starter and the dictionary are the others. But otherwise not a single problem and the best thing is, it starts up in a few seconds rather than a few minutes. Still, would be nice if they trimmed some fat. Maybe they have a boner shortage over there too.

Check your extensions

Some extensions are often poorly written and poorly tested so the quality varies greatly. What works stable on one system might cause massive problems on another PC. This seems especially true when running Firefox on OSX with extensions that were only tested on Windows.

What I normally do is disabled almost all extensions (and plugins) then reenable a few at a time in order of importance until I find the culprit.

Don't just look at the extensions, click the plugin Tab as well.

Grenade

for crying out loud

stop bloody whinging, it's only a beta release you morons

@foxyshadis

That was the first thing I tried. It bugs me too when people install software left right and centre and then wonder why things run slow. Firefox's problems run deeper than that I fear. It's rendering engine feels like it's gotten fat and with complicated JS it suffers - not as badly as IE mind but still a lot worse than it felt in FireFox 2.

AJAX is killing firefox?

I fear it's as much the wretched quality of javascript on the web that's the culprit: It hasn't become all that much better, but it's become so much more complex and pervasive in the last few years. My blackberry's gone from being able to render 10% of pages years ago, up to 60% with updates and a push for mobile compatibility, down to maybe 30% with all the ajax out there now. Not that it's any good blaming the web any more than blaming the web for bad HTML, we just want to be able to use it.

I'd give a clean Firefox 2 vs. a clean Firefox 3.6 (with sessions off) a go on today's web, see if the difference is real or imagined. I'm interested in trying it myself tonight.

Chrome has some amazing javascript hotspot-style optimizers, I'll give it that. That's one place Google's PhD wizards shine, and Apple seems to do very well itself.

Anonymous Coward

Play it Again Sam

It is 'into the time slip' not 'there in the time slip'.

It is elementary my dear Watson.

This topic is closed for new posts.