Solid state drive (SSD) controller start-up SandForce has landed $21m of C-round funding, just eight months after a $20m-plus B-round. Why does a fabless silicon startup need that much cash? SandForce is developing SoC (System on Chip) products that, it says: "boost the storage I/O performance of next generation servers, …
Twenty one million dollars!
(best said in Dr Evil voice from Austin Powers)
... may pay a few lowly engineers salaries but doesn't buy many silicon tape-outs these days.
Some things are just not going to be known until a little/much later.
"Twenty one million dollars can hire a heck of a lot of people, yet SandForce has just nine jobs posted on TechIt; there's no major ongoing recruitment drive. So what is the money needed for?"
It can also purchase some very interesting innovative and disruptive intellectual property to capture a Prime Market Sector too ..... which would be the money exceedingly well spent/invested, Chris.
- Ex-Soviet engines fingered after Antares ROCKET launch BLAST
- Review Pixel mania: Apple 27-inch iMac with 5K Retina display
- NASA: Spacecraft crash site FOUND ON MOON RIM
- Hate the BlackBerry Z10 and Passport? How about this dusty old flashback instead?
- Google's Mr Roboto Andy Rubin bids sayonara to Chocolate Factory