Solid state drive (SSD) controller start-up SandForce has landed $21m of C-round funding, just eight months after a $20m-plus B-round. Why does a fabless silicon startup need that much cash? SandForce is developing SoC (System on Chip) products that, it says: "boost the storage I/O performance of next generation servers, …
Twenty one million dollars!
(best said in Dr Evil voice from Austin Powers)
... may pay a few lowly engineers salaries but doesn't buy many silicon tape-outs these days.
Some things are just not going to be known until a little/much later.
"Twenty one million dollars can hire a heck of a lot of people, yet SandForce has just nine jobs posted on TechIt; there's no major ongoing recruitment drive. So what is the money needed for?"
It can also purchase some very interesting innovative and disruptive intellectual property to capture a Prime Market Sector too ..... which would be the money exceedingly well spent/invested, Chris.
- Breaking news: Google exec veep in terrifying SKY PLUNGE DRAMA
- Geek's Guide to Britain Kingston's aviation empire: From industry firsts to Airfix heroes
- Analysis Happy 2nd birthday, Windows 8 and Surface: Anatomy of a disaster
- Google CEO Larry Page gives Sundar Pichai keys to the kingdom
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? SKYPE has the HOTS for my NAKED WIFE