Solid state drive (SSD) controller start-up SandForce has landed $21m of C-round funding, just eight months after a $20m-plus B-round. Why does a fabless silicon startup need that much cash? SandForce is developing SoC (System on Chip) products that, it says: "boost the storage I/O performance of next generation servers, …
Twenty one million dollars!
(best said in Dr Evil voice from Austin Powers)
... may pay a few lowly engineers salaries but doesn't buy many silicon tape-outs these days.
Some things are just not going to be known until a little/much later.
"Twenty one million dollars can hire a heck of a lot of people, yet SandForce has just nine jobs posted on TechIt; there's no major ongoing recruitment drive. So what is the money needed for?"
It can also purchase some very interesting innovative and disruptive intellectual property to capture a Prime Market Sector too ..... which would be the money exceedingly well spent/invested, Chris.
- Product round-up Ten excellent FREE PC apps to brighten your Windows
- Analysis Pity the poor Windows developer: The tools for desktop development are in disarray
- Chromecast video on UK, Euro TVs hertz so badly it makes us judder – but Google 'won't fix'
- Product round-up Ten Mac freeware apps for your new Apple baby
- Product round-up The Glorious Resolution: Feast your eyes on 5 HiDPI laptops