back to article MS home server users hit by Windows Live Custom Domains snafu

Many Windows Home Server customers have been unable to access Microsoft's Windows Live Custom Domains service since the weekend. Some punters are complaining about the problem on the company’s support forum. Reg reader Mark told us about the cockup, which he believes was caused by upgrades Microsoft made to the service. “ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christopher Rogers
    Thumb Down

Who Cares?

Who actually uses home server? what a crock.

2. Ross 7

Doh

"An MPV on the forum confirmed that the software appeared to have unintentionally shut out lots of WHS customers"

I bet it was a Renault Scenic. They're always talking like that...

3. Bilgepipe
    Thumb Down

Yet another reason...

...to avoid The Cloud - and indeed WHS - like the plague, particularly the dark, rain-sodden clouds of Microsoft.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Christopher Rogers

Actually I do, and normally it's great.

I'm not a dumb end user, my background is in desktop and server support. WHS is good for those who want an 'out of the box' solution, and it does it very well.

Yes I could go down the route of Ubuntu and various apps, but frankly I have better things to do with my time.

I'm affected by this issue, but as I don't really use the external access features I only knew about it through trying it in response to this article.

5. Tim 7
    Thumb Up

Mine is fine

Have the plank's saying Whs is a crock actually used it ?.

I have and I know a lot of others who have including a great grandmother in her seventy's (I build and install oem systems ) For the price it's great , Cheaper than an xp pro with auto backup .it's small bis server 2003with ten cal's .

This allows granny to share family photos & videos around the world without messing with email etc.

Don't even think of mentioning the bird OS with it's su ,etc crap it just makes an easy job a pita.

6. The Beer Monster
    Coat

@Bilgepipe

WHS?

They're a perfectly respectable source for books, magazines and stationery. Why the beef?

7. Andy 70
    WTF?

@Christopher Rogers

my background is sun solaris, and intel/win server and support, so i hope you'll understand if i consider myself a little more technical than your average Joe Public.

i use windows home server, and have been very pleased with it. does an out of the box job very well.

except i've not been effected by this issue, no problems here.

so, no "crock", and no "microsoft fail lolz" i'm afraid.

8. Mad Jack
    Linux

@Anonymous Coward

"Better things to do with my time" - like writing trivial comments defending defective Microsoft products whilst implying that other (possibly free) solutions to achieve the same thing have little merit eh?

9. Andrew Duffin

Maybe not a crock, but...

I always assumed Windows Home Server was a solution looking for a problem - it seems that they have now found each other!

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

well, duh!

So you trusted your data to a cloud run by M$ and it's gone titsup.

You ain't got no one to blame except yerself buddy

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Mad Jack

So spending 30 seconds to write a comment is comparible with spending several hours learning how to set up a server and media streaming solution?

If you say so...

Whilst I'm not saying there aren't other ways to achieve the same or better results than WHS, the fact that I can spend about an hour installing a product that is very similar to other products I already know how to use is enough justification for me to use it.

12. Tom Chiverton 1

"better things to do"

Well, yes, you "could go down the route of Ubuntu and various apps" or you could just download a MythTV CD from http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Packages and be done with it. Strange man.

13. Paul Charters
    Boffin

Clouds...just bad...

It's not just MS who make mistakes. I always find it hilarious when all these (predictable) people all dive out and scream 'z0mg M$ 5uxx0rzz!'.

Look, you put your data on any cloud service and you're asking for it. It's that simple. No service is going to work 100% of the time and no provider can really be trusted with any data you should ever consider private.

WHS isn't too bad for what it does, generally. Yes, it's not the dream-OS we'd all like, but none of them are, despite whatever fanboi-ism rears it's ugly head. It also has some weaknesses and downright annoying limitations.

Linux distros and variants tend to mean work and effort from alot of peoples' perspectives, including many of us geechies who do actually know our stuff, including how to install Linux distros and variants and have done it many, many times.

WHS is simple and straightforward and relatively painless, and a short-term fault is hardly the reason to scream like children. Let's face it, people wanted to sue MS over XBox downtime last year (or was it the year before...or is it every year) - it's just silly.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MythTV

And that will do automatic full and incremental backups too? Folder duplication and drive redundancy out of the box as well? Will it allow me to RDP into all my home computers from a single external IP?

All my current apps will work on that too? Oh no, hang on. Maybe not. Well certainly not within an hour or so that WHS takes to set up from scratch.

I'm in no way anti linux, I just haven't got the time to invest when at home that setting it up would require.

Just because there are alternatives does not make a product rubbish. WHS is convenient, and that matters.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Gah

People keep throwing 'cloud' around - this is a dynamic DNS - nothing more. My WHS works as well today as any other day - it's just the easy-to-remember hostname isn't mapped to my IP - my IP works as well as ever, and accessing my server remotely is fine and dandy.

However, obviously WTF OMFG M$ IZ T3H SUX5. Did I get that right?

16. Blain Hamon
    Coat

Now, now.

MSFT is known for server reliability! I mean, given the stats regarding Danger, they have uptimes into the one, maybe even two nines! So who's up for Window's Azure?

Mine's the one with the Sidekick in the pocket.

17. Big-nosed Pengie

I'm still waiting

for iCloud 2.0.

Or will that be iCloud 7?

18. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

So, umm, why not...

...just use a different Dynamic DNS service? There's plenty of alternatives to the MS run one.

Oh, wait a mo. What's that? WHS only hooks in to the MS own-brand one? Well, can't you just configure your sodding router to do it? Or, ffs, just set one up manually...?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like