Feeds

back to article No jobs recovery for years

The UK jobs market won't show any signs of improvement for "several years" even if the economy returns to robust growth, a personnel body has warned. The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development warned today that the UK job market was "flat on its back". While this might be construed as saying a decimated workforce was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Grenade

No Suprise there then

As there are plenty of imbeciles about that seem to think pay rises grow on trees, and they should still be getting above inflation pay rises in a recession.

I can understand a postie thinking that (as clearly he is too stupid to get a skilled job), but other workers?

Megaphone

Reasons are plentiful

And, they are all due to the government. Either ours or the one in Brussels.

Uncertainty over emissions legislation and the potentially huge tax liabilities generated by that, increasing taxes generally, increasing fuel costs (again due to uncertainties over cap and tax) and the prospect of massive inflation that will be brought on by the "quantitative easing" bollocks. Printing extra money ALWAYS produces inflation and devaluation and this is guaranteed to discourage companies from making new hires. Imagine the apparent increase in wage burdens that will be produced by 6 or 7% inflation, when incomes may not be rising anywhere nearly as much.

On top of which, this government (wherever it is) has a habit of implementing new criminal laws and making then retroactive. What company would want to do *anything* when it could suddenly become a criminal act dated back five years. X years worth of fines for something that was perfectly legal until the government decided otherwise.

Bronze badge
FAIL

Ahhh CHOOO!!!

Sorry. I have a cold.

The trouble is that the public sector has always been an easy target for government cuts. Public opinion might muddy the waters a bit but the various govs over the years have been slashing budgets and cutting jobs for years despite continually pushing more duties onto them. This applies not just to high profile public sector areas like the NHS and the emergency services but also to the local authorities who have to make do with less as the years go on yet are still required to do their jobs. When I hear of the gov. giving billions of taxpayers' money to various causes, yet saying that there isn't any for the public sector, it makes me sick.

No. That's not how I got the cold...

Pint

Billions are for bankers

Limey should know that billions are for bankers and bureaucrats.

Working type need not apply and can kindly get stuffed.

Silver badge
Jobs Halo

That must be disheartening for Big Steve

Oh, jobs with a small 'j' you say?

OK, carry on then.

WTF?

@Chika

Public sector cuts? Don't make me laugh, the public sector is bigger than it's ever been, with jobs for life, gold-plated final salary pensions, and record-breaking levels of absenteeism.

Time these precious little snowflakes discovered how it is in the real economy that generates the wealth that pays for their cushy lifestyles.

IT Angle

This doesn't jive...

with articles in print media. Last week one paper said that there were "140,000 jobs in the IT sector" but didn't go into much detail about where and what these jobs are. They're just there waiting to be filled. Lots of lovely jobs, come and get 'em. As for the public sector, a lot of jobs were lost over the past 5 years due to closing various offices around the country. Just vist your local Job Centre to see it in action.

hang them

Bring back hanging for unemployed people: that'll sort them out.

This topic is closed for new posts.