back to article 'Something may come through' dimensional 'doors' at LHC

A top boffin at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) says that the titanic machine may possibly create or discover previously unimagined scientific phenomena, or "unknown unknowns" - for instance "an extra dimension". "Out of this door might come something, or we might send something through it," said Sergio Bertolucci, who is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Alien

Life imitating art?

Sounds like we can expect a Combine invasion then.

I'm off to buy a HEV suit if they have any left in Argos.

Alien icon obviously.

Alien

Come on!

Who is going to be the first to welcome our new demonic soul-reaping, parallel globo-Nazi, hyperspherical juggernaut-dinosaur overlords?

Anonymous Coward

Pull the plug

> "And of course no risk to the stability of our world."

Unless there's an unexpected result. The odds of which are, by definition, unknown.

It's fairly safe to risk unexpected results with experiments which, say, mix a couple of chemicals.

No-one should be doing experiments which create the conditions just after the Big Bang, where the unknowns are things like the consequences of making new dimensions, mini-black holes etc.

The more such experiments we make, the surer you can be that eventually the unknown unknown will occur.

Silver badge
Welcome

May I be the first...

...to welcome back our ancient overlords from beyond space?

Cthulhu ftaghn, etc...

I for one

welcome our figmentarian overlords

xyz
Gates Horns

Ahh...you mean Hellboy

Mines the coat with the horns

Welcome

It is, of course, a known and proven fact...

...that whatever we see through the warp portal wormhole will be humanoid, with only intricate cranial ridges and perhaps an unusual skin colour differentiating it from human life.

Thumb Up

Quality

"Various eccentric nutballs", "cack-handed boffins" and "the button marked "Call Black Hole Into Being""

Hats off to Lewis and The Reg, you just don't get this quality of journalism anywhere else. Long may you lead us in the forthcoming struggle against the Nazi supermen that will march out of the rent in time & space deep under Switzerland (where the clocks come from)

Pint

@AC 12:17

Spoilsport. Or basement dwelling agrophobic mummys boy. I'm not sure which.

Thumb Up

What will come though?

A Post-It note saying "for Cthulhu's sake, shut that thing off NOW!"

NB
Boffin

well

I just hope Gordon Freeman is on hand to deal with anything that comes through, should it be nasty that is.

Linux

H2G2

<q>

hyperdimensional "doors" out of which might come unspecified "somethings".

</q>

I'm expecting them to look like little white mices, singing "How many roads.....?"

Mini black hole

Considering that black holes are known to have a magnetic force, maybe we can contain such a mini black hole within the confines of the LHC's super conducting magnet lined chamber?

Something tells me that doing anything than keeping it suspended in a vacuum will be quite dangerous, so no dumping to core.

Now, where's my crowbar...

Alien

Stood too close?

I'll have whatever he's on!

Terminator

What if its the other way around.

Maybe they know exactly what they are going to create and we have an invasion force ready and waiting to go in hard on some unsuspecting alternative dimensional species.

you never know! however, the chances are we are we are doomed!

FAIL

Can you say resonance cascade?

I can't believe these idiot scientists harking on about opening doors to alternate dimensions, stranglet soups and black holes are flatly refuting even the merest possibility of monumentally screwing the planet. The unknowns and improbables are possible but no one know the odds. Would anyone reading this wander blindly into a bookies and bet the farm on a funny named horse whose odds of winnning aren't known?

I'm all for scientific progress but a) at what cost? and b) without condecending to the masses without astrophysics degrees and letters after our names thank you. For all their knowledge and suffixes they can't seem to grasp the fact that most people only hear about these things in sci-fi flicks and perhaps a little more education on the secret underground is on order, what we had so far? An alarmist documentary and a catastrophic failure when attempting to boot it up, makes the unknown odds look bad doesn't it?

Thumb Up

I vote for Combine

"There's no maths in it," added Lamont encouragingly, having assessed the intellectual level of the Reg news team with disconcerting percipience.

That line made me laugh so hard. Excellent!

Looking forward to the switch on of the LHC.

Maybe I should buy a crowbar just in case.

Black Helicopters

Nah, not at Argos!

Ace hardware though does have a special online, comes with free Crowbar!

Alien

Why fight them...???

I for one welcome our new insect overloads..

Jobs Halo

G Man

Meet Gordon.

Gordon meet G Man...

Thumb Up

*applause*

Orlowski should do an anti-global-warming story with this level of self-deprecation

Alien

Probably safer

to relocate the whole thing to Phobos.

Hmm - a distracting thought...

'My god - it's full of boobies!'

Of course we will be wanting pictures, or maybe playmobile?

ttfn

ahuh...

"rise and shine Mr Freeman. rise and shine..."

Mine's the one with the crowbar in the pocket.

WTF?

"countless aeons"?

What's wrong with "13-14 billion years"? Too sciency? Excessive factiness?

There's enough ill-educated hogwash being bandied about in relation to the LHC already, ta.

Lewis

Lewis, whatever they're paying you, it's not enough.

Grenade

Where's me crowbar?

Or, obviously, the more up to date Zero-Point Energy Field Manipulator

RE: Pull the plug

So, there is an infinitesimal chance that this will end the world as we know it -- so what? Or are you some kind of Timelord who will be here to be upset by it if it does? For that matter, how do you know the world didn't end last Tuesday and continue in another set of dimensions?

Anonymous Coward

"Call black hole into existence" button

Surely this doesn't have a cover ... its black with black writing on it but displays "don't press this again" when pressed

Coat

"Call black hole into existence" button

Surely this doesn't have a cover ... its black with black writing on it but displays "don't press this again" when pressed

I'll get my towel

Happy

Two things.

"Calling Dr Freeman. Dr Freeman to the red emergency phone please."

Second, don't you just love this stuff. Seriously, portals into other dimensions, you just couldn't make this shit up. Alright, you can, and have, but we're talking real life here people! Real life!

Bring on the end of the world! Mwuahahahaha.

Yeah, I'm done now.

Coffee/keyboard

errr...

if there's is an unknown unknown event or otherwise, how can we be sure we'll know anything about it?

Terminator

Oh dear.

Where's Gordon Freeman when you need him

Black Helicopters

Resonance Cascade

I never thought I'd see a resonance cascade.....

Silver badge
Coat

Ah... crazy predictions

I think the earth might fall into the sun tomorrow. Scientists strongly disagree with me, but who ya gonna believe??

Paris Hilton

Shurley Not......

"someone living on a single 2D plane-space - that is as a mysterious circle suddenly blossoming into existence, growing, perhaps moving about and then shrinking down and vanishing again."

Surely for somebody to see the circle they would have to be living in 3d plane-space. Somebody living in 2D plane-space would just see an object (possibly like a line or wall) pop into existance, move about, grow wider, move nearer or further away and would curve away from them on either side.

Paris - Because she likes things that pop up, get bigger and move towards her!

Blossoming circles

For an insight into how those Randallesque 3D objects on a 2D plane would look, see the absolutely lovely CC licensed POVRay-made film, Dimensions.

Chapter Two covers this, but it's all quite, quite beautiful.

http://www.dimensions-math.org/

Welcome

Which item of the User Requirement Specification

has the requirement

"Capability to generate local black hole"

or

"Provide N Dimensional opening when button B is pressed and held for Time = t nanoseconds"?

Sounds like the Users are "big-ing" the (w)hole thing up to gain interest?

I wish them good luck in their enterprise but I hope/doubt they'll create anything more life threatening other than ideas. But that is startling enough for some to want to run back into their religious order and shout "Nay, deity protect me....".

Thumb Up

I love it

Talk about giving the media what they want! I'd bullshit my ass off doing that job :-) The only limitation is imagination!

Silver badge
Alert

Well

To the naysayers, I say:

There's an entire universe out there. The human race occupies approximately nothing of it. Seriously, so small as to be completely, entirely insignificant. And in terms of mass/energy, we really are using *nothing*.

Even if we could harness the power of the entire planet, or even solar system, and focus it onto warping space and doing other tricks, we aren't going to destroy the world accidentally. There might be a big bang at the LHC in the conventional sense (smoke, flames, loud noise) but we're not going to be kick-starting the second Big Bang from the Starbug's engines.

If we could, we'd be witnessing Big Bangs and self-created black hole all over the cosmos and they would be our primary indicator of "intelligent life". And if we could do that, we'd still be an insignificant speck compared to the civilisations that manage to survive *their* "LHC era" and move on to the next "theoretically-safe" experiment. But if we don't at least try, we might as well have stayed in caves eating cold veggies because we had no tools to hunt or cook with.

It's actually a factor in things like the Drake equations if you do it properly - scientists take account of the fact that any intelligent civilisation might well do something daft and blow itself to pieces. Personally, I think the sword or bullet would prove to be a much more devastating invention to help that along without the need for advanced scientific research on it.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

LOL@LHC

Register writing stype top-notch as ever, keep it up!

MPT

Bring it on!!

Not going to know to much about it this if it does happen. Forces involved are beyond our comprehension leaving little time for anything to be done apart from utter the immortal words

"Oh F*&K!!"

Probably even the boffin's at CERN won't have time to say that.

Before They Go Ahead

Well hope before they commence the operation they set a system restore point, oh how I have learned from that lesson !

Anonymous Coward

@Lee Dowling

But what about if by a million/billion/whatever to one chance we are the first "intelligent life" to emerge. Someone has to be, and we all know that the thing about million to one chances is that they happen nine times out of ten.

I love the smell of Hadrons in the morning

Hand me my BFG, I'm going in.

Of course the real use of the LHC is to move all the molecules in the party hostess under-garments 2 feet to the left, in accrodance with the laws of indetermincey

Gotta love the theorists

"Hey, our maths says there's an infinite number of universes out there, and they all really exist!"

My maths (thanks to a Monseiur Fourier) says that I'm not twanging a guitar string, I'm actually flipping a switch on an infinite number of sine-wave generators. Which of course must exist, because the maths says they do.

I really wish these guys could tell the difference between what's reality and what's a mathematical model which closely approximates reality.

Grenade

@ First AC

Glad I'm not the only one who suddenly thought of Black Mesa....

How unlikely is a doomsday catastrophe?

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0512204

Abstract

Numerous Earth-destroying doomsday scenarios have recently been analyzed, including breakdown of a metastable vacuum state and planetary destruction triggered by a "strangelet” or microscopic black hole. We point out that many previous bounds on their frequency give a false sense of security ...

Silver badge
Boffin

What caused the big bang?

Perhaps it was someone in the previous universe turning on their LHC and sucking it all through in zero time to create this one.

Alert

Haven't these people

seen Event Horizon? That'd make 'em think twice.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums