back to article Opera in top secret iPhone talks?

Opera boss Jon von Tetzchner says that one day Apple's iPhone will run third-party browsers. But he won't be drawn on whether the company is poised to offer a Jobsian version of Opera itself. Von Tetzchner and company have already admitted to building an Opera incarnation for Steve Jobs's mobile status symbol in the the Opera …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. McMoo

Naff off Opera

Opera really are a boring pain in the arse. Moan moan moan.

I would rather see IE on the iPhone, simply because it's not Opera

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems like an appropriate time to post this

http://webaim.org/blog/user-agent-string-history/

Funny AND informative!

3. Michael Fremlins

@McMoo

At least if Opera was there you would have a CHOICE.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

The user's understanding of what?

> The user’s understanding of the web’s security model and the behaviour of their browser is seriously hindered by delegating the choice of software to the developers of individual sites they visit," said Mozilla vice president of engineering Mike Shaver.

Ha, ha, haaaaaa!

You techies.

FYI the average user's understanding of the web's security model is absolutely zero, as you would discover if you ever bothered to talk to any. They have no idea. Cos you need to be a techie to understand it.

Great job guys!!!! You're extrapolating from your world again!!!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Michael Fremlins

CHOICE? So what? it's a web browser on a mobile device, not a fucking religion or political movement!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

News to Opera...

There are already tens of third-party browsers available on the iPhone. They have been available since not long after the app store came into existence. What Opera should mean is an alternative rendering engine to WebKit on the iPhone, not an alternative browser.

7. John 62

Why I want Opera on iPhone:

Opera has consistently led the way in improving a browser's UI, except for skins. Of all the official and 3rd party skins only 1, Carthago is worth looking at (though the BeOS one is quite nice).

Even if Opera just puts a wrapper round MobileSafari.ipa to give it a better UI I'd be all for it. Feature request #1: manual rotation control - sometimes I don't want landscape when the phone is sideways, and vice-versa

8. Michael Fremlins

@Simon Banyard

Did I say it was a religion or a political movement? No, a choice is a choice. When you bought your car, if you have one, you presumably CHOSE one brand. Was that a religious or political decision on your part? Were you glad you had the CHOICE? Or would you prefer that there was only one make and model of car? Painted black, naturally.

I use the same browser on my desktop and laptop. That is what I CHOOSE to do. If I had a GodPhone I might CHOOSE the same browser there too.

9. Jon 66

define "mess"

"von Tetzchner isn't sold on the Google plug-in that turns Internet Explorer into Google Chrome. He compared the move to Netscape's ill-fated efforts to put IE and Gecko rendering engines into the same browser"

[...]

"That didn't make things easy for [Netscape]...You end up with a mess."

Surely that's the idea - but unlike Netscape, Google are creating the mess in someone else's browser :)

10. Hans 1
    Unhappy

@AC 10:06

Your linked page is not funny, it is sad :''(

Seriously, it is sad ... the situation sucks big time.

You laugh at Palm (R.I.P, I'm back from the future) impersonating ipods, but here you see quite a few big players (including Apple) impersonating something else for compatibility ... imagine if IIS served them the bad pages anyway (sssshhhhhht, it does with Foutlook webmail)?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like