back to article 'Searched' web info hits harder than 'surfed' - shock

Journalism academics have published a study asserting that people are more likely to "understand, remember and emotionally respond" to web news and information which they have searched for than stuff they have "surfed". In this case, "surfing" means looking at content selected for the user by others, as when going to a news …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nigel 11
    WTF?

Doh!

Force-feeding is regarded as a form of assault or even torture in civilized countries. Doesn't that give them at least half a clue?

Firefox Adblock-plus and Flashblock plug-ins recommended.

2. Coyote
    Grenade

'Searched' info hits harder than 'surfed'?

O RLY?

Those researchers have obviously never seen what happens to someone when they accidentally surf to Goatse.

3. Daniel 1

To paraphrase

"If the cognitive and emotional impact of online content is greatest when acquired by searching, then Web site sponsors might consider pushing this content out of the visible area of the view pane and filling it up with advertisements, instead.

After all, if you make them search just that little bit harder - even after they thought they'd actually found your content - then their cognitive and emotional response must surely be heightened even further!"

Do you want chips with that cod psychology?

4. Graham Marsden

Once more...

... I find it necessary to lobby for a bear in the woods icon...!

5. foo_bar_baz
    Coffee/keyboard

@Coyote

The other passengers are looking at me now. Thanks for the laffs, though.

6. Timo

Big surprise

So stuff that I'm looking for is more interesting than the birdcage liner you put in front of me? Say it isn't so! Does this win the "obvious award"?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Troll

@Coyote

Your comparison falls down --- you have to consider what happens to those persons who intentionally searched for "goatse" (and what then happens to the people around *them*).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like