back to article Sony Ericsson confirms Android Xperia

Sony Ericsson has finally undressed 'Rachael' – its latest flagship smartphone known for ages only by its sexy pseudonym. Leaked images, pictures and specifications have been doing to rounds for months. But today marks SE’s first official confirmation that the X10 smartphone will launch during “the first half of 2010”. Can …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Farai
    Paris Hilton

She's a

sexy li'l thang, ain't she?

:)

Paris, coz well...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Sorry.. but all I can say is...

WANT!

3. Jez Caudle
    Stop

Am I getting old?

I had to switch the video off as the jerky nature of it was starting to give me a headache. I'm sure I was headed for a fit.

I got the idea that the phone was aimed at fashion conscience young ladies.

4. jonnyscavenger
    Happy

Rachael

I'm guessing the Rachael is a reference to Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?

5. JMiles
    FAIL

Anyone remember the P900?

SE prematurely dropped software updates for that device (see http://developer.sonyericsson.com/community/thread/39963), leaving loyal adopters in limbo with a somewhat buggy phone. The reality is that SE know the entertainment phone market but not smartphone market.

Who is going to trust them now when the likelihood is that SE will just drop their shiny new toy when they feel like it?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Data

Don't know its size, weight, battery life, price and we know only that it will arrive some time before June 2010...

... but it is supplied free with a pretty blonde girl !

7. Tom Simnett
    Thumb Up

I LOVE this phone.

One of the first good looking Android phones that hits the spec mark too!

8. Aaron 6
    Thumb Up

Do Want

its about time SE did something right when it came to smart phones, every single smart phone they have done lately has disappointment me, from for the p990 with his hideously restrictive buggy and memory leaking symbian OS, to the Xperia x1 with is slow clunky windows mobile.

Don't get me wrong I still want to get my hands one and confirm that it is indeed all its cracked up to be but from the looks of things they may finally have hit the nail on the head. It only took Google's OS and trying to keep up with the iphone to do it.

Lets hope some UK networks offer this handset sometime soon with a decent data tariff (maybe O2 could replace the iphone with this) as my contract is up for renewal in January so this would well be what im going to replace it with.

9. Wrenchy
    Linux

Uh oh!

I think I just jizzed myself. What a sharp looking handset. Must buy.....

10. Graham 22
    Thumb Up

Expected Release

According to a Sony Ericsson rep that was in today, the expected release date should be around Q1 2010. So expect it around April/May.

11. M 6
    FAIL

If only..

it had a flash, I'd be sold. Why must there always be something that is missing from creating a perfect phone?

12. Ralphe Neill
    FAIL

Anyone remember the P900?

Oh yes ,,, and the P910i ... for both of them SE promised on-line upgrades but, for both of them, the "upgrade" site gave the message that the handset had the latest firmware. The problem is that it also did that with a colleague's handsets that had firmware with earlier version numbers.

I'm left with the feeling that upgrades were simply not available and am determined never to buy another SE 'phone.

Actually, given disastrous experiences with Sony's computer products in reliability terms ...

13. Andy 97
    FAIL

What about a flash?

Seems SE forgot this......

Silly silly people

14. Lloyd
    WTF?

Undecided

I've been waiting for SE to announce this, it looked like the best Googlephone to date but I'm peeved about the lack of 2.0 on it, seems a bit ill thought out, will wait til closer to the time to find out what the proper specs are but I need to get rid of this Jesusphone before I take a hammer to it.

15. D@v3
    Happy

Looks nice

and the phone looks ok too

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

I had been hoping that HTC would support Android on the HD2, but they're obviously to busy whoring themselves to M$.

So this leaves me in a quandry....

on the one hand, finally a good looking Android handset with the right level of underlying tech levels, but on the other hand it's Sony....

Sony who's record for supporting products is abysmal (don't get me started about them not selling replacement power packs for a laptop less than 2 years old).

Think I'll wait to see the full specs of the X10 and read some reviews before I decide.

17. Christopher Rogers
    Thumb Down

Nah

This phone should be out now.

18. Alex 32
    Go

That's a sexy little thing..

.. and the phone ain't bad neither!

Seriously though, if this looks, acts and works as shown - *dribble*

My one question would be what would the sync software be like as usualy SE software is just shite.

Else, I'll just stick with my 3G

19. DRendar
    FAIL

75% perfect.

1) No Flash (not even a crappy LED one)

2) Crap Camera.

8 megapixel it may be, but with an aperture size smaller than the one in my knob it won't be able to take pictures worth shit.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should be here, but battery life?

I'm a fan of SE Phones here in the US, but I usually unbrand them since ATT cripples them so much. I wonder if SE has a really new phone battery for this X10, like a 2,000 mAh (I think I saw 1500 mAh spec). I was just looking at one of their new AINOU and it's only got a 1000 mAh in it -- you can't stream video on a battery that small for long, even the GPS will give out after a couple hours. My 4 year old phone has the same battery and actively using the web, etc gives its 3 hrs at the most and 2 on the GPS....

Additionally if it ships with Android 1.6 plus the SE UX on top, what if anything would happen if you updated it? Or do you have to rely on SE? Is it a app that runs on top of Android or is it more deeply embedded?

SE has set itself right in the direction of it's new phones, they have a new Java Platform (JP-8.5) phone (Ainou), a new Symbian platform phone (Saito) and a Android phone. (I was so disappointed when the X1 came with Windows.)

FWIW to those decrying the lack of updates, my current 4yr old SE phone has been updated several times by SE's OTA updates or SE's PC Suite and there have been noticeable improvements in performance and function. If my phone was still branded it would have had NO updates at all since there is no profitability for ATT to spend time customizing new versions - they want you to have a new phone with a new contract. Maybe because of the carrier customization the updates were blocked?

With SE PC Suite v6 ( downloads blocked for most US phoen versions), my phone connects as a USB Ethernet device to my laptop giving me HSPDA speeds without the usual *99 dial up which would limit me to slower EDGE speed since I don't pay a for a premium data plan ($10 vs $30 or $60+ for a legit tether). BTW, the phone still charges while connected via USB, so if your laptop is plugged in....until you reach the ATT 5GB limit.

SE Phones: the battery can be changed, they tether and the contacts directories have multiple addresses and phone numbers per contact. They even have push email with MS Exchange. The calendars suck but Google Calendar can sms you.....

Stan

21. HI
    Thumb Up

FAIL UR RONGG

Actually the x10 does come with a flash. Also Sony Ericsson have made awesome cyber shot cameras so mayb this will hav a good camera too!!

22. DRendar

@FAIL UR RONGG

*shudder* Urgh. Text speak on a website.

That aside, perhaps you could point the flash out - as I certainly can't see one.

Plus as I said previously - the aperture is tiny, so the pictures in low light are going to be terrible, and they'll be way too soft in normal light.

I'd love to be proven wrong ( that's the correct spelling of 'rongg' by the way ).

I just wish I could take he Camera & Flash off my N82 and add it to this phone as that would be pure perfection.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like